Author Topic: Your biggest TPIR "what-ifs"  (Read 20274 times)

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
Re: Your biggest TPIR "what-ifs"
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 03:15:45 PM »
Another couple of what-ifs that I've mentioned in the past....

What if Gene Rayburn had gotten the nod as host of Price? Or Wink Martindale? Wink definitely would have had the same length run as Barker, and I dare say even a few years longer than Bob. He also would have been the only one who could have matched Bob's charisma and charm on the air.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 04:01:17 PM »
"If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

We could spend forever speculating how if 'x' were changed, how would that change the outcome of 'y', but the present will remain the same.  There is certainly a long list of things I wish could have happened differently with the show, but the past can't be changed, so I accept the present for what it is and look forward to a promising future. 

I feel like all our times here are better spent not shaking the Magic 8 ball to see what different scenarios we can come up with for an intangible past.

This. Times 2.

I'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but PayingTheRent makes a good point.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 05:45:32 PM »
This. Times 2.

I'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but PayingTheRent makes a good point.

I see where y'all are coming from, but I'm one of those people that is always curious as what might have happened. I don't know if it's an affliction or just something that comes with being an old soul, but I'm always wondering "what-if" at certain junctures. I guess it can't be helped.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 06:06:17 AM »
What if Drew had to actually audition for the job?

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 04:43:10 PM »
What if Price never moves to the afternoon with Match Game?  Possibly Pyramid never exists and I think Price and Match both have very different ratings trajectories.
Remember, Price wasn't originally on with Match Game (which never "moved"; the CBS version was never on in the morning), but with Hollywood's Talking (a revised version of Everybody's Talking, with celebrities reading the clues instead of ordinary people; I assume Child's Play was a revamped version of these).

But here are a couple of what ifs:
What if Price had stayed in the afternoon with Match Game (and, later, TattleTales)?
What if Dorothy Jo had lived a few years longer, and Bob not taken on her animal rights campaign to the level that he did?

Online whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2018, 11:34:01 PM »
What if Penny Ante was repaired instead of being rain-damaged, as was allegedly said?
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 01:57:43 PM »
What if Penny Ante was repaired instead of being rain-damaged, as was allegedly said?
We might very well have it today, no doubt with some LCD updates. And I do hope that they would've kept those intriguing sound effects.

How about this: what if Superball had remained off the chopping block?
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 02:01:44 PM »
What if Plinko had never existed?  What would be the most popular game without it?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 02:05:05 PM »
What if Plinko had never existed?  What would be the most popular game without it?
Overall, Cliffhangers. For me, probably Hit Me.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline yuki-louve

• Outside in Line
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2018, 11:33:59 PM »
Suppose Bob had retired any time before March of 2006, or suppose Peter Tomarken hadn't died when Bob did retire? What would the show have been like with Mr. Tomarken at the helm? Would he have ever even been on that plane (thus still be alive today) had he gotten the TPiR job? Might we have had a "Press Your Luck" reunion had Rod also been alive at that point, and if so how long would it have lasted?

Suppose all four "classic" models (Dian, Holly, Kathleen, and of course Janice) had still been with the show when Bob retired; the circumstances leading to their departures not occurred? Might they still be on the show today, or would they still have been replaced by younger models (not necessarily who's there now) eventually?

Suppose Bruce Forsyth had come back across the pond (he having previously hosted "Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak" stateside) to take over from Bob when Bob retired? For what it's worth when "Hot Streak" was cancelled he was offered the job of hosting the late '80s version of "Card Sharks".
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:38:40 PM by yuki-louve »

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 03:05:01 PM »
What if they just go ahead and reboot Penny Ante, Hurdles, a shortened version of SuperBall!!!, and maybe another one or 2.. would they strengthen the daily lineups in this day and age and iteration of the show?

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 04:04:35 PM »
The 2 years between their debut as hosts nonwithstanding, What If Wayne Brady was hired as Host of Price (2007) and Drew Carey hired for a Deal (2009), who possibly would have shaped in much the same improv style as his Whose Line, which is pretty much in the same vein as Deal has always been anyway under Brady’s hosting. Would either show be improved by that role reversal?
I’ve always saw it sort of like it’s 2 of the same guy (Carey and Brady)- in that their similar comedic stylists, obviously. And in hindsight it shows that for some reason they wanted improv comedians to helm their game programs and I always felt that these two guys would completely interchangeable at hosting these shows, had fate made that a reality instead.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 05:08:40 PM »
What if...the show never expanded to an hour?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2018, 04:31:19 AM »
Here's one that hasn't come up, but as far as Nighttime runs go, what if the 1972 run ran past 1980, and the 1985 run lasted more than a year? And what if Dennis James had not left the first nighttime run in 1977?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2018, 04:35:17 AM »
Remember, Price wasn't originally on with Match Game (which never "moved"; the CBS version was never on in the morning)....

Yes it was....it moved to after Price in 77 at 11am, before going back in the afternoon at 4 when ratings tanked.