Author Topic: Your biggest TPIR "what-ifs"  (Read 20124 times)

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Your biggest TPIR "what-ifs"
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2018, 09:35:20 PM »
What if a player lets the rangefinder go all the way to the top and not press the button to stop it?  My understanding is it would simply stay at the top.

What if Wheel of Fortune had not become such a big hit in early 1975?  My understanding is WOF served as the inspiration for the Showcase Showdown wheel.  What type of game would they have used instead were it not for being inspired by Wheel of Fortune?

What if the show could retool some retired pricing games and bring them back?  I realize they have 77 in the current rotation (with only 10 Chances not yet played this season on air)...and up the total to 80 or 90 games in the rotation instead?  Even though there are 77 games, it seems like Money Game, Lucky Seven and That's Too Much get played far too often.  What if they show decided to have a much better balance and mix of pricing games instead?

What if there could be more actual game time (45 minutes during the early years) vs. less than 39 minutes now due to so many blessed commercials?  That would allow for more host/player interaction and more quality pricing games being played, rather than having to play 3 or 4 quicky games every day.

What if Johnny Olson had not died in October 1985?  How much longer might he have remained as Price announcer?  He was 75 when he died.  Johnny Gilbert is now 94 and still announcing on "Jeopardy!".

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2018, 11:24:31 PM »
As for more time, it would show even more how inept Drew Carey is.

Something tells me Johnny O would have announced until his death, be it 80, or 90 years old.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2018, 11:45:12 PM »
As for more time, it would show even more how inept Drew Carey is.

Seriously, guys, can we stop this?

There was a period of time when Drew, frankly, sucked.  We are not in that period, and we haven't been for a good five years.  Drew's not Bob, but he's proven by this point that he doesn't need to be.  He's gone from laughing at the show and us to laughing at the show with us, and I can't see how that's a bad thing.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2018, 11:52:54 PM »
Disagree. Drew is still awful, which is why I do not watch. What little I see comes from clips I accidently click on or flipping the channels, or a TV being on in a waiting room. It’s sad how he has not improved in TEN years.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2018, 12:14:26 AM »
Disagree. Drew is still awful, which is why I do not watch. What little I see comes from clips I accidently click on or flipping the channels, or a TV being on in a waiting room. It’s sad how he has not improved in TEN years.

I honestly don't see how anyone can say this with a straight face.  The notion that Drew hasn't improved in the past decade is outright false.  Seriously, watch a show from this year, and then watch one from six or seven seasons ago; the difference in his performance is like night and day.

You don't have to like what Drew's doing, but the idea that he's not doing it better than he used to is ludicrous.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2018, 12:38:33 AM »
Drew has stated before that Bob told him to not to be Bob.  Drew said he was nervous and finally is happy calling it his show.

Drew Carey has been on the show for 10 years. He has become a damn good host and in 25 years, we'll probably remember this all very fondly.

And you want my honesty, I think the show is in a great place right now. Are there some specials that make me cringe? Sure.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2018, 12:48:51 AM »
I don’t want him to be Bob, nor should he. What he should be able to do is competently host the show, and he isn’t doing that.

He has not improved, and yes, I have a straight face on right now. I am not the only one out there saying this. You don’t have to go out and belittle me just because you think he does a great job. Not everyone agrees with everything you say Mr. Gavazzi.

Drew Carey is doing this for the money and nothing else. Didn’t he say that in an interview? He knows he will not get fired no matter how little he cares about the show, short of something serious like sexual harassment or murder.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2018, 01:19:13 AM »
He has not improved, and yes, I have a straight face on right now. I am not the only one out there saying this. You don’t have to go out and belittle me just because you think he does a great job. Not everyone agrees with everything you say Mr. Gavazzi.

Please give me an example of something upon which he hasn't improved.

Drew Carey is doing this for the money and nothing else. Didn’t he say that in an interview? He knows he will not get fired no matter how little he cares about the show, short of something serious like sexual harassment or murder.

Oh, for cripe's sake.  This is getting stupid.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2018, 01:26:41 AM »
Mumbling and not properly explaining the rules. That’s two right there.

I get it, you like Drew Carey. I don’t. You don’t have to go as far as belittling and insulting me for my views.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2018, 01:27:54 AM »
Let's put it this way. 

If you're not going to like Drew Carey 10 years into the job, you're never going to like him. Little is going to change your mind at this point.

He's not Bob Barker. He's not a trained audience game show host like Bob was. In fact, as we have seen over the last 15 years, there's more on the name versus the hosting ability. That said, I think a lot of us are guilty of holding Drew to a standard that is unreachable: being Bob Barker. That's not going to happen.

If you want an example of good hosting and doing well with the audience, see his fun with the Drew Shirt that caused the show on November 15 just to be so great

Edit: Adding on to the post that came up after, I agree as a recapper with poor hearing that Drew's mumbling can be a bit of an annoyance, but that's nitpicking.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:32:31 AM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2018, 09:28:26 AM »
Look, guys, Bob gave us 35 good years and he was good at his job. But Bob can't host forever. It would be nice if he could but that just can't happen. Therefore, in order to really enjoy TPIR, we must accept what we've got, that is, Drew Carey. Sure, he's got some flaws, and he's got a totally different hosting style than Bob, but I enjoy watching Drew just as much as I did Bob. And, personally, I think Drew has improved a lot since his early days. He lost a lot of weight in 2010 (and has kept it off) and, instead of fooling around with the grocery products and acting immature, he has learned to let the contestants be the stars. In addition, I think he really enjoys his job, and if I recall correctly, he said so in Buzzr's Game Changers.

In short, Drew is not Bob and he never will be. We should be glad that Drew was there to accept the job and that he is still with us.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2018, 10:14:43 AM »
We got to remember Drew was an actor/comedian jumping into a role of a Game Show host hosting one of the longest running game shows ever. I can see why Drew was nervous during his first few seasons.  It took him some time to fit into the role of the host. I feel like once Roger and the old crew was let go Drew was able to be Drew and he was more comfortable with the show and his hosting got a lot better. You also have George who plays on Drew humor. I feel like the show is more relaxed now and Drew is having more fun with the show and its made him a better host.  Every host has their flaws and Drew does too but i can honestly say i can watch an episode and enjoy the show more now then 10 years ago.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2018, 10:20:21 AM »
As I have said many times, I am not upset that Bob left the show. He was clearly losing a step or two hosting wise. He was in his 80s and it’s completely understandable to take things easy and not have to endure the stress of taping. He certainly has enough money where he doesn’t need the job.

However, the way CBS went about the replacement, giving it to a guy who admitted he never watched the show, no audition, and only took it when they offered large amounts of money, tells me they wanted a name instead of a host. I remember Roger later saying he pushed for a few names, such as Mark Walberg (who apparently did a fantastic run through), but the network wouldn’t even give him a real audition.

Part of the reason I haven’t seen a whole episode of the show in close to ten years is Drew’s awful hosting. I always see him mumbling, or fumbling around, or looking bored, traits that a game show host should not have. I don’t think he gets anything out of the contestants either. The great hosts can do that. They know the game and the contestants are the stars of the show. Drew is not like that.

The weight has nothing to do with it in my view. I don’t care if he weighs 100 pounds or 500 pounds, I look for hosting ability.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2018, 10:30:58 AM »
I think Drew is doing okay. Does he make mistakes? By all means, but that's part of being human.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2018, 10:51:22 AM »
Let's also remember that Drew didn't have much experience being a game show host. Before TPIR, he hosted Power of 10 for one season in 2007. On the other hand, Bob hosted Truth or Consequences for 18 years in total (16 of those were before TPIR) which is more than Drew has hosted now. And for another comparison, Dennis James, who hosted the primetime TPIR for eight years, had been hosting game shows for a whopping 28 years prior to TPIR, starting with Cash and Carry in 1946.

I would also like to reiterate once more that, for Drew to be as good a host as he can, he will have to host his own way.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!