Author Topic: Your biggest TPIR "what-ifs"  (Read 20264 times)

Online whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Your biggest TPIR "what-ifs"
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2018, 09:55:45 PM »
I think this would been illegal, or at the very least run afoul of the S&P rules - even if the "rigging" was in the contestant's favor.

And in today's environment, with HD and DVR capabilities, it wouldn't have taken a second for some sharp eyed viewer to spot it and post it all over the internet.  Pretending someone won a game that was rigged for them to win, and using that for publicity would be almost as bad as getting caught rigging a game for a player to lose.

Assuming that would be the scenario, aside from repeated $50k wins every time being the dead giveaway of potential wrongdoing, would someone at home be able to see the wires within the board to know if the game was rigged or not?
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2018, 10:02:08 PM »
While HD is good, there are limits to how fine the details can be. While you might not be able to see any wires themselves, the physics of the chips would most certainly give it away with some careful analysis of the footage.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2018, 10:18:44 PM »
IIRC the promo they used it for didn't show the "chip" being dropped, just landing in the 10K slot. They had no need to make it look realistic.

EDIT: Yep. Also makes me wonder if they weighted the bottom of the box to ensure it always landed in the correct orientation.

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2018, 11:20:55 PM »
I think this would been illegal, or at the very least run afoul of the S&P rules - even if the "rigging" was in the contestant's favor.

And in today's environment, with HD and DVR capabilities, it wouldn't have taken a second for some sharp eyed viewer to spot it and post it all over the internet.  Pretending someone won a game that was rigged for them to win, and using that for publicity would be almost as bad as getting caught rigging a game for a player to lose.
Yes, that's why I said it would be a PR nightmare. Even having to give the contestant $30,000 because of the error looked bad itself.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2018, 04:15:50 PM »
What if Clock Game John had played Poker Game? Would "Poker Game John" have become a game show legend?

I would like to hope so!
John

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2018, 03:26:27 PM »
How about this: what if Superball had remained off the chopping block?
Let me rephrase my previous question:

What if Superball had remained in circulation, and instead Plinko was axed?
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2018, 03:23:55 AM »
There was an incident in season 37 where a contestant playing Plinko was given $30,000 because they didn't remove wire that set up the chip to hit the $10,000 after filming a promo for a video game-- what if this had not been noticed and the contestant won $50,000 as a result? Would they have given the contestant $50,000 and then reshot the game to be played honestly like they did, or would they have kept in the tainted $50,000 win just to say someone won Plinko and get publicity out of it? They didn't use the perfect showcase bid for publicity because they assumed there was cheating involved and finding out the circumstances behind the Plinko win certainly would've been a PR nightmare.

If something like that had happened during the Barker era, I think they would have let the contestant keep the money, and the producers would have had Bob explain what happened - full, transparent honesty.  Depending on when the error was noticed, the explanation would have been either at the end as part of the show itself, or taped later and tagged on to the end - but this would have been too big to relegate to a voice-over announcement like they do if a contestant was later found to be ineligible.  The only adverse impact on gameplay would have been the contestant's slot during the Showcase Showdown, since as we all know the amount you win determines whether you spin first, second or third.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2019, 09:47:02 AM »
If the Tom Kennedy nighttime version of TPiR had been renewed for the 1986/87 season -- who would have directed it?  Marc Breslow was fired in 1986, after directing season one.  Just a guess, but I'm thinking he would have directed season two also (since Barker wanted him off the daytime show, and may not have controlled the nighttime one).