Author Topic: Strange we haven't seen much of Gridlock! lately...  (Read 5821 times)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Strange we haven't seen much of Gridlock! lately...
« on: November 08, 2018, 02:26:13 PM »
Stopping short of saying the "R" word and knowing of tapings being out of order and episodes unaired, it's just odd that recently we've seen very little of the newest pricing game on the show. You'd think being a newer game that plays quickly it would be shown more often.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
Re: Strange we haven't seen much of Gridlock! lately...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 02:34:02 PM »
I’ll be honest. I don’t like Gridlock. It’s a neat idea but I find it unremarkable.

EDIT: Just went on the website and Gridlock isn’t on the pricing games list, unless they forgot to update it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:37:27 PM by bigblue999 »
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 02:41:21 PM »
To be succinct, it's a cute set, but unnecessarily enormous.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 02:45:34 PM »
I will agree. Gridlock! is a classic example of overblown presentation.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 04:37:16 PM »
EDIT: Just went on the website and Gridlock isn’t on the pricing games list, unless they forgot to update it.

Pretty sure it's the latter. I checked some archived versions of the pages from late 2017/early 2018, and Gridlock is not on any of them.

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 05:46:35 PM »
I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't getting the Make Your Move treatment: Getting a few tweaks done after its first few playings, then showing up at a later time.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 07:10:08 PM »
Gridlock! has a very flat presentation. The reveals are seriously lacking, and overall it's a very boring game for the presentation.

I envisioned a remodel of the concept that goes something like this:

The contestant has 11 cars, three cars for the first two digits in the price, four cars for the next two digits, and four cars for the last two digits. All of the cars are in a line on Lane #1. Three are two additional lanes to work with. The contestant makes their choice for each car, and the selected cars move to Lane #2. If they have the correct price, the cars begin flashing, honking, and the dings are heard. If not, there is a buzz, and all the correct choices now move to Lane #3. Any wrong choice remains behind on Lane #2. The contestant then makes new choices, and those cars move to Lane #3. The contestant must now have the correct cars on Lane #3, or the game is over.

I would make a "freeway" sign graphic that could act as the price screen.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 08:02:38 PM »
The contestant has 11 cars, three cars for the first two digits in the price, four cars for the next two digits, and four cars for the last two digits.
Well, I suppose we would see even less of the game than we do now, considering you've just established a six-digit car game.

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 08:08:11 PM »
Well, I suppose we would see even less of the game than we do now, considering you've just established a six-digit car game.

Well if Three Strikes can do it!

Should read three choices for the first digit!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »
Perhaps it will be a déjà vu of Bargain Game?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:03:27 PM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 10:04:04 PM »
It’s a bad sign that I totally forgot about this game until reading this thread haha.

Yeah, I have to agree with others that say the game is very dull. I would revamp/retool it — maybe even to the point of giving it a new name too.

The game’s setup reminds me of the retired pricing game Hurdles. I would have four cars on the track. Each has a five digit price. Three of those cars are under the actual price of the car the contestant is playing for. The other is over the actual price of the car. The contestant picks three cars that he/she wants. All of them have to be under the price of the car/prize to go under (say,) a bridge that’s part of the game’s prop.

Contestant wins car if they all go under. Contestant loses if he/she picks the car that’s over the actual price thus causing that car to crash and not pass the bridge.

Not sure if that would work or if it’s different enough from other pricing games. I just feel that Gridlock’s setup/props could be used in better ways.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:07:18 PM by BD »

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 10:44:52 PM »
It’s a bad sign that I totally forgot about this game until reading this thread haha.

Yeah, I have to agree with others that say the game is very dull. I would revamp/retool it — maybe even to the point of giving it a new name too.

The game’s setup reminds me of the retired pricing game Hurdles. I would have four cars on the track. Each has a five digit price. Three of those cars are under the actual price of the car the contestant is playing for. The other is over the actual price of the car. The contestant picks three cars that he/she wants. All of them have to be under the price of the car/prize to go under (say,) a bridge that’s part of the game’s prop.

Contestant wins car if they all go under. Contestant loses if he/she picks the car that’s over the actual price thus causing that car to crash and not pass the bridge.

Not sure if that would work or if it’s different enough from other pricing games. I just feel that Gridlock’s setup/props could be used in better ways.
Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't really work at all.  Either it's an impossible to lose unless you're completely daft "here's four numbers, tell me which three are the lowest," or you have a game where you have to display and describe five cars and then the contestant has to pick out the three cheapest to win only the second-most expensive one.

I think Gridlock! is fine as it is, aside that it needs a better presentation for the reveal of whether the contestant's guesses are right or wrong.

Offline plinkowin2010

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 05:52:31 AM »
In a way, gridlock reminds me of the retired pricing game it's optional. Only in gridlock one car is offered instead of two and no options to choose from to total the price of the car.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 06:42:57 AM »
In a way, gridlock reminds me of the retired pricing game it's optional. Only in gridlock one car is offered instead of two and no options to choose from to total the price of the car.

so...it's exactly the same as It's Optional, but it's completely different.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 09:35:36 PM »
Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't really work at all.  Either it's an impossible to lose unless you're completely daft "here's four numbers, tell me which three are the lowest," or you have a game where you have to display and describe five cars and then the contestant has to pick out the three cheapest to win only the second-most expensive one.

No, you are confused though I could have explained it better.

The four cars on the track are all toy cars that are props for the game itself. The contestant is playing for an actual car.

The four toy cars on the track have various 5-digit price labels. Three toy cars have labels that are underneath the price of the actual car. One toy car has a label that’s higher than the actual price of the car. The contestant picks three toy cars that he/she thinks are underneath the actual price of the car. Getting all three wins the car. Picking the price that is higher than the car = losing horns (that car will crash and not go under the bridge).

I think Gridlock! is fine as it is, aside that it needs a better presentation for the reveal of whether the contestant's guesses are right or wrong.

I just feel that the game’s setup or presentation could be used in better ways alongside (new?) game rules that would be more straightforward for viewers and contestants.

I think the best pricing games are the ones that viewers can get a good sense of how to play just by looking at the prop(s). I don’t feel that Gridlock! is that way in its current form.