Author Topic: New Pricing Game Idea: Sub/Division  (Read 3095 times)

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
New Pricing Game Idea: Sub/Division
« on: November 12, 2018, 11:51:59 PM »
A series of 8 screens collectively shows a $2,000 range for the price of a car (for example, $19,000 to $21,000).  The goal of the game is to narrow the price down to a $250 range (represented by one of the screens; the edges of the ranges are lit up above the dividing lines).  The contestant starts by choosing which $1,000 range within the $2,000 range (i.e., $19,000 to $20,000 or $20,000 to $21,000) contains the price of the car.  If they're right, the $1,000 range is divided in half into 2 $500 ranges.  If the contestant gets that right, the $500 range is further divided in half into 2 $250 ranges (hence the name Sub/Division).  The contestant wins the car by picking the correct $250 range.

If the contestant is wrong at any point, however, they must earn a second chance by selecting the correct $10 range out of a $20 range for the one (read: ONE) small product shown to them.  If the contestant is right, they get the second chance and can go on to the next division of the price of the car.  If they were already on the last part of the car (the $250 ranges) and they win the second chance, the contestant wins the car.  If they're wrong, game over.  If they mess up on the car after getting the second chance, game over.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
Re: New Pricing Game Idea: Sub/Division
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 11:58:20 PM »
This game is confusing as hell.

Exactly why does it need 8 screens?

Also, I could make a joke about the name, but I will not.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »

Not really. Picture it like Gas Money and Range Game had a baby.

And regarding the screens, you know what they meant.

Online tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 02:56:24 PM »

Also, I could make a joke about the name, but I will not.
It really isn't. It's a mutation of 1/2 off, in a way. Instead of 16 boxes, you're starting with eight. The game ultimately boils down to a 50/50 chance each time.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:59:31 PM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
Re: New Pricing Game Idea: Subdivision
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 03:28:36 PM »
It really isn't. It's a mutation of 1/2 off, in a way. Instead of 16 boxes, you're starting with eight. The game ultimately boils down to a 50/50 chance each time.

Personally, I thought of it as somewhat of a reverse Bullseye I:
  • Bullseye I: contestant guesses the price and is told higher (which makes a new range) or lower (which makes a different range)
  • Subdivision: "guess" is automatically chosen as midway point of current range and contestant guesses higher/lower by choosing the left (lower) or right (higher) range

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 04:54:25 PM »
I understand the idea of the game but it plays like Range Game meets Pathfinder. You have known choices, pick one and move on (or, if incorrect, try to get another chance).

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 09:45:07 PM »
Kind of a hybrid with Pathfinder & Gridlock.  Interesting concept.  Would love to see a visual representation of it.