Author Topic: Range game question  (Read 6420 times)

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
Range game question
« on: November 14, 2018, 02:27:39 PM »
Something that always annoyed is when Range Game is played why are people in the studio audience giving suggestions. There is literally no way the people in the audience can see the prices in the range

Online Alfonzo

• Director
Re: Range game question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 02:44:25 PM »
Isn't there a television monitor?
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 04:20:30 PM »
Isn't there a television monitor?

And isn't that why whenever we see the audience giving suggestions they're always looking up to the ceiling?
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 12:38:33 PM »
How about a better question.... why are they shouting suggestions?  There is no way they know the price of a trip down to a $150 range!

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 01:42:41 PM »
How about a better question.... why are they shouting suggestions?  There is no way they know the price of a trip down to a $150 range!

They are shouting suggestions for the same reason you would should suggestions if you were sitting in the audience.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »
They're shouting for the same reason they shout advice in Plinko. They think they know something the contestant doesn't know, and their opinions are always right. Not to mention, in Range Game's long history, the price is generally somewhere in the mid-section of the range.Their shouts are purely Pavlovian.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 04:30:41 PM »
For the contestant,  more info > less info, amirite?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 07:35:04 AM »
I just want to know when are they going to increase the range to $250 and make the scale span $1,000 instead of only $600? The odds/proportion would be the same (range finder takes up 25% of the scale in either scenario) but it would be a slight improvement.  This is way overdue; prizes aren't $1,500 any more in this game!   

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 09:35:46 AM »
Why don't they make the scale $6000 and make the rangefinder $1000?

Contestants would actually have to price the prize like they did in the 70s instead of simply stopping the rangefinder somewhere around the middle when it feels right since most folks don't know the price of prizes to the nearest $150.

Offline GSNSmashFan3

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My game show collection.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 10:19:26 AM »
Why don't they make the scale $6000 and make the rangefinder $1000?

Contestants would actually have to price the prize like they did in the 70s instead of simply stopping the rangefinder somewhere around the middle when it feels right since most folks don't know the price of prizes to the nearest $150.

Unless it permanently became a car game, I think that would simply make the game too easy. Granted, I don't disagree that it's pretty much a guessing game for most contestants in its current state, but then again, so is nearly every other game on the show...
HYO Winnings:
$46,241.21 (Participated in 6 games; on stage 4 times)

I love Clock Game!

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 10:52:24 AM »
Why has the Range Game scale remained unchanged at $600 for 45+ years?  Would they ever consider changing the scale?

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 03:07:57 PM »
Enough people seem to win it the way it is now that there doesn’t seem to be any need to change it...

I’d argue this is exactly what they’ve done with Magic # and people don’t seem to be able to win that game very often.  How would changing Range Game improve it?

Online Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 05:37:25 PM »
I think most people win now because it seems like the "right" time to stop it, not necessarily because they are hyper-focused on the price.

I would be supportive of increasing the range.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 05:44:18 PM »
How would making the range larger change that?  People are going to stop it near the middle anyway regardless of whether the range is $150 or $3000...

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 09:55:27 PM »
How would making the range larger change that?  People are going to stop it near the middle anyway regardless of whether the range is $150 or $3000...
I think because we've had the $150 Range Finder for so long, people have indeed become programmed to stop it in the middle unfortunately.   Just like when they draw a blue card from Card Game opening deck.  Invariably, they select a middle card which is typically only $1,000 or $2,000.