Author Topic: Range game question  (Read 6480 times)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Range game question
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 02:53:19 PM »
Just like when they draw a blue card from Card Game opening deck.  Invariably, they select a middle card which is typically only $1,000 or $2,000.
I don't think it's similar at all.  When was the last time the price was in the top 1/6 or bottom 1/6 of the Range Game scale?  I'm sure the middle cards in Card Game have a greater chance of being a large number than the correct price being placed at the top or bottom $150 on the Range Game scale.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 10:30:06 PM »
I'm sure the middle cards in Card Game have a greater chance of being a large number than the correct price being placed at the top or bottom $150 on the Range Game scale.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the special deck isn't shuffled randomly.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 01:22:30 AM »
Quote from: SteveGavazzi
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the special deck isn't shuffled randomly.
No doubt you are correct. 

I remember not too long ago, after the contestant drew their card, Drew would turn over a few (or more) of the special cards to show the other numbers.  "See there was a $5,000 card, and a $3,000 card", I guess to show they were there.

He doesn't do that anymore.

I suspect that the $5,000 card is on one end or the other more often than not, and the contestants might start picking up on the pattern.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 11:36:05 AM »
I just want to know when are they going to increase the range to $250 and make the scale span $1,000 instead of only $600? The odds/proportion would be the same (range finder takes up 25% of the scale in either scenario) but it would be a slight improvement.  This is way overdue; prizes aren't $1,500 any more in this game!

The value of the prize is immaterial. They can print the scale to have a prize in the $50,000-$50,600 range if they wanted. It still plays the same. I have no idea but perhaps the $600 range was chosen so the scale could show up on camera better? Or so that the could accurately place the display where it needs to be? Who knows. I tend to believe a $600 range is narrowing it down pretty darn well. The real variable is the rangefinder. $150 is pretty generous compared to the original $50 range.