Author Topic: Spam email appearing from golden road  (Read 13706 times)

Offline ntpir

• Walking the Golden Road
Spam email appearing from golden road
« on: December 25, 2018, 06:31:37 PM »
Hey everyone! I didn’t know where to post this but... I was checking my spam email folder and I noticed an email from Marc@golden-road.net. Lol obviously fake and spam related but just wanted to give everyone a heads up that this is now happening!

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: Spam email appearing from golden road
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 06:54:05 PM »
How is an email from the person who created the site "spam"? What was the email subject?

Given the possibility that this may be an email address spoofing that of Marc, I would suggest to, if possible, select "view email source" or the like. This would allow you to view the contents of the email without actually opening it (which would put your device at risk, should it legitimately be spam or a virus).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 06:56:37 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ntpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 07:42:45 PM »
Spoofing, yes. That’s exactly right. There was no subject but my email system flagged it as spam. I just wanted to give all of us notice.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 12:18:09 AM »
I have been getting spoof e-mail addresses from here lately, only it is from someone named "Steven Prish@oneindex.in.net"...
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 12:36:33 AM »
I can take a guess. The name appears as "Marc@golden-road.net", but the real address is something weird. Apparently capitalizing the first letter is common for spam.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 08:28:29 AM »
As an IT professional --- I'm be more worried about -- How did whomever sent this spam get all our emails?
To me, I'd worry that the GR.net  user database has been compromised.   

A fair questions to our admins probably should be asked here.    Are our passwords encrypted within your users database?

I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline billiamk

• In the Audience
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 03:08:06 PM »
Are our passwords encrypted within your users database?

This serves a good reminder to not use the same password on all sites. And use two-factor authentication when available.

Hackers and thieves will try a known email and password combination on multiple sites. And, if they find a hit, you could find yourself responsible for payment of items you didn't order or full identity theft.
Insert witty and/or creative signature here

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 10:38:09 PM »
A Russian spambot was able to register and was able to send out spam to several active users.  Currently exploring options to prevent this in the future.

(Also spoofing is definitely a legitimate issue too other times; not too long ago I got spam from myself!)