Author Topic: Over-excited contestants = non-exciting viewing experience  (Read 9284 times)

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Over-excited contestants = non-exciting viewing experience
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 07:06:11 AM »
Yes, but a lot has changed since 1972. A lot has changed since 2012, even.

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 08:44:10 AM »
Remember the very first episode, when Bob said he hoped "we'll always have a Connie on our show" (referring to Connie Dunnal- not sure how that's supposed to be spelled- who was the most excited person in Studio 33 that day by a country mile)? I don't think this was what he meant.

I think if Connie were to watch some of today's contestants, even she would be shaking her head.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 03:37:55 PM »
Remember the early days of TPIR where the audience would sit quietly while the First Four was instructed to "come on down"? Those days are gone. In an age where viewers can have four channels on one screen, viewers have to be constantly engaged. The producers have to focus more on the party atmosphere than on the pricing game aspect in itself.

The times, they are a-changin'.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 07:09:55 AM »
Agree with all of the comments here.  I think social media has a lot to do with it as the contestants know they can upload their appearance on their social media pages.  People also just have less class these days so some of that is going to spill into Studio 33 as well.  But yes, the producers need to realize to tone it down a bit with contestants.  Thanks.

Offline bagels

• Outside in Line
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 12:21:01 PM »
I can't believe some of the posts I'm seeing here. If you don't like it, don't watch the show. It's as simple as that. Personally, I don't have a problem with the contestants.

Also, you guys have a big fan in Casey Abell. Google him and look at his December 2nd blog post on Game Show Follies to see what I mean.

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 12:28:41 PM »
Also, you guys have a big fan in Casey Abell.
Oh, did he remember to take his Geritol finally?

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 01:00:22 PM »
I can't believe some of the posts I'm seeing here. If you don't like it, don't watch the show. It's as simple as that. Personally, I don't have a problem with the contestants.

THIS. Personally, I'm fine with the contestants going nuts after they win. They're on the freaking Price is Right, and it shows how happy they are to be there and win their prize.

If I wanted to watch a bunch of Stiffly Stiffersons, I'd watch Jeopardy.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 01:04:52 PM »
Also, you guys have a big fan in Casey Abell. Google him and look at his December 2nd blog post on Game Show Follies to see what I mean.

I'd be more worried about that if I had any respect for Casey Abell.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline bagels

• Outside in Line
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 05:55:24 PM »
I'd be more worried about that if I had any respect for Casey Abell.

If you don't like the guy, fine. However, you're only proving his point with posts like that. Same goes for the Geritol post.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 06:09:47 PM »
I'm with Steve.  I've read some of his posts and his tone is mocking of pretty much the entire fandom. And not in a funny way- it's mean and rather stupid. He seems to actually despise game shows with terms like "moldy oldies" (any old game show), makes fun of buzzr on a regular basis for not being a "real network" and looking for the first sign of failure, takes constant shots at buzzerblog, the game show forum, golden road and game show garbage.

Offline bagels

• Outside in Line
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2018, 06:14:25 PM »
I'm with Steve.  I've read some of his posts and his tone is mocking of pretty much the entire fandom. And not in a funny way- it's mean and rather stupid. He seems to actually despise game shows with terms like "moldy oldies" (any old game show), makes fun of buzzr on a regular basis for not being a "real network" and looking for the first sign of failure, takes constant shots at buzzerblog, the game show forum, golden road and game show garbage.

To be fair, he also takes shots at Game Show Paradise, which deserves it the most. They criticize GSN for everything, from Steve Harvey's Family Feud to Trish Suhr. One user suggested the southern chick was on medication and it wasn't working right. That should tell you a lot about that forum.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2018, 08:05:56 PM »
Has Casey Abell ever written an entry where he isn’t complaining?

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 08:43:02 PM »
Has Casey Abell ever written an entry where he isn’t complaining?
Has the sun ever risen in the west? There's your answer :P

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2018, 09:26:56 PM »
It could be he is jealous, because those forums he trashes actually have views and comments. Abell only has about two or three people actually reading his blog. Going back, the only entries with many comments are trolls and those insulting him.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2018, 10:11:26 PM »
However, you're only proving his point with posts like that. Same goes for the Geritol post.

If his point is that most people in the community think he's an idiot, then yes, I suppose we are.

Also, this has drifted really far off-topic, and most of us agreeing that Casey Abell's a goof seems like a good place to end it.

LOCKED.

EDIT:  Oh, and Casey, since you're apparently reading this, telling the whole world that you Googled me because I had a reaction to you that you didn't like is more than a little creepy.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 10:24:57 PM by SteveGavazzi »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.