Author Topic: Deal or No Deal v2.0 discussion thread (SPOILERS LIKELY)  (Read 4758 times)

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
Deal or No Deal v2.0 discussion thread (SPOILERS LIKELY)
« on: December 03, 2018, 08:17:21 PM »
Hey strangers! Thought I'd start a thread for discussion since this wonderful show is back in less than a couple of hours. I have hoped all decade that somehow this day would come... and here we are. So, so, SO happy to have Deal with us once again.  xlx

And yes, the recaps will live on. :-)

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: Deal or No Deal v2.0 discussion thread (SPOILERS LIKELY)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 09:28:23 PM »
this wonderful show

I don't know what you're calling "wonderful", but Deal or No Deal certainly isn't "wonderful".

"Awful" is a far better word to describe it. :lol:

Seriously, I never understood the appeal of the game...
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 09:53:48 PM »
Are they still doing gimmicks and extended family moments? That is what turned me off from the original run. The first few shows were OK, then it went rapidly downhill.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:24:50 PM »
Are they still doing gimmicks and extended family moments? That is what turned me off from the original run. The first few shows were OK, then it went rapidly downhill.
No gimmicks tonight, but the family moments are still there haha. I know it's a cheesy show but damn it, I love it anyway.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 12:37:23 AM »
Say what you will, but the 11-year-old in me had a huge nostalgia flashback tonight to watching the original when it premiered, and despite having watched countless GSN repeats and YouTube uploads over the years, I felt like I was right back in 2005, yelling at the television when I thought a deal should or shouldn’t be taken and being thoroughly entertained all the way to the end.

I don’t know how DOND will perform on cable, but at least in my opinion, they’re doing everything right based on what I saw tonight, and I can’t wait to see more!
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 02:05:25 AM »
I saw this thread, and then looked if I could find the episode online. I found out that NBC has a live stream, and it was reairing the episode. So, that made me happy.

The good IMO:
Bringing back Howie Mandel honestly is a really great touch. That brings me back to when I was watching reruns on GSN.
I know there is going to be outright filler, and I think that this iteration does a better job without feeling like it was just stalling for time.
For the most part, I like what is being done with the set. The main gripe I have is that the models look more "trapped" as opposed to the old set.

The bad IMO:
I really don't like the direction they are going with the banker. I'm fine with the direction they are going with by having a female banker, but the white screen behind her reveals more of her appearences. I'm going to sound like a jerk for saying this, but I really don't think the banker should have outright applauded when it was revealed that her mother was a breast cancer survivor. I feel like there were other gestures she could have done that were more stiff, yet more in character.
From the behind-the-scenes trailer, it was an underlying idea that the models should be more expressive. However, I remember the plugs for every model's Instagram over interactions with the contestant.

The meh:
I don't really think the cases needed to be changed. Unlike the phone, which understandably needed an update, the original briefcases are more iconic.
I feel like the banker should have a couple more monitors on her desk, similar to all the background graphics that occurred in the original.

Overall, I'm really fine with the overall game, and am more thrilled for it to be back, despite the shallowness of the maingame.

From the maingame of this show, I got a little frustrated at the offer Luis was going to counter with a certain offer that was greater than the expected value of the cases remaining on the board. Despite that, I still really liked Luis's story.

No gimmicks tonight, but the family moments are still there haha.

I mean, the end credits stated that "A specialty prize package added to the second offer and other portions of this program, not affecting the outcome of the competition have been edited/removed/recreated". That disappoints me a little because the bonuses added to the offers always stood out to me the most. However, judging from the teaser, I think there are going to be more prize packages...
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 07:24:48 AM »
Well whenever you revive something, start out by being as faithful as possible as the original (with a few exceptions if you want your show to have "new" in its title). For the most part, it delivered, and remembered, the show started as a trial run during the 2005 holiday season, though since that was an all-new concept at the time, the festive stuff could have been held at bay. The prizes/gimmicks of course came later on, for example a low amount easily could have had "coal" instead of a small amount of cash. It would be interesting what the counteroffer would have been, if it meant either a higher or lower offer if the "No Deal" result didn't happen.

I'd perhaps make CNBC air other game shows at night and/or on weekends in the future, one of them stock-market themed to help build up a popular block.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 07:52:07 AM »
If they knew that they were going to get one primetime spot on NBC, I actually wouldn't have done a themed show at all. I would have chosen one of my best (if not the best) show from the run and just let that stand on its own.

Luckily for them, they got a good game with a risky player. And I suppose they could have canned this if it was a dud too, but that's a decent amount of money to spend for something you don't end up using.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 08:59:17 AM »
I missed it from having to work.

The old version had one contestant for the whole hour and it got annoying is it still the same way?

Deal or No deal is a okay show its just such a weak format they have to inject gimmicks to it.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »
Deal or No Deal certainly isn't "wonderful".

"Awful" is a far better word to describe it.
How about "wonderfully awful"? The initial NBC series was rather amazing at finding new ways of being awful.

Deal or No deal is a okay show its just such a weak format they have to inject gimmicks to it.
The British and Australian iterations went in two very different directions with the presentation and mood and yet rarely injected gimmicks (Box 23 on the former wqs added late in its run), most certainly not to the level of the NBC series.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:18:15 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Online whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 12:45:14 PM »
How about "wonderfully awful"? The initial NBC series was rather amazing at finding new ways of being awful.

How about we just live and let live? DOND was the reason why I watched NBC, and when the reality TV genre (i.e., Jersey Shore, The Biggest Loser, Kardashians, etc.) began to spike and game shows dropped, I just dropped NBC like a dead fly. It's a miracle DOND is back...perhaps, maybe I can try to be a contestant, myself, now that I'm old enough.  xlx
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 01:11:41 PM »
Takeaways:
- bring the old music back. The music that played when a bank offer was $100,000 or more was among the best in game shows. The new music makes it sound anticlimactic.
- the extended family mushiness was not something I missed about the old Deal or No Deal.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »
This may be an odd question, but isn't Deal or no Deal supposed to premiere Wednesday, Dec. 5 at 8pm ET? That's what I've heard.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 05:25:44 PM »
This may be an odd question, but isn't Deal or no Deal supposed to premiere Wednesday, Dec. 5 at 8pm ET? That's what I've heard.

I think that's the "regular" series on cable (CNBC) - this was (apparently) a one time special on the regular NBC network.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 11:06:09 PM »
The British and Australian iterations went in two very different directions with the presentation and mood and yet rarely injected gimmicks (Box 23 on the former wqs added late in its run), most certainly not to the level of the NBC series.

I liked both versions of the show

American Game shows they have to make them annoying and gimmicky.