Author Topic: Nighttime Price (85-86 run) taping schedule?  (Read 9438 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Nighttime Price (85-86 run) taping schedule?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 09:13:40 PM »
If they thought the show could work with someone other than Barker -- as it had with Dennis James -- they surely would have brought in someone else.

My first choice at that time would have been Jack Narz, although I think Tom Kennedy could have done well. He was underrated as host of the 80s syndicated 'Price.'

Jack woulda been unavailable too at the time, since he was doing Concentration still for one more season. It'd have been interesting to see how Tom did then vs how he did 8 years later. I'm sure he coulda done just as well though, even as much as he was critical of his hosting at the time he did do the show. 

EDIT: Actually even HE was preoccupied, doing Name that Tune. Guess that begs the question, who WAS available at that point? I guess Monty Hall woulda been one by looks of it. But not sure who else that coulda fit that role.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:20:18 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 09:15:20 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, none. Only syndie game I can think of at all trying to go an hour was the 1994-1995 Family Feud with Richard Dawson, off the top of my head.

Yeah I am not thinking of any either besides that one. And as I said, even the back to back double runs wasn't a thing yet in 85 I don't believe.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 10:04:51 PM »
Actually even HE was preoccupied, doing Name that Tune. Guess that begs the question, who WAS available at that point? I guess Monty Hall woulda been one by looks of it. But not sure who else that coulda fit that role.

Geoff Edwards, maybe?  I think he was based in New York around that time, but he probably could get back to LA for such a plum gig.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:07:14 PM by Axl »

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2018, 08:10:31 AM »
Wink Martindale would of been a great choice

What about Jim Peck or Jim Perry?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2018, 12:08:59 PM »
Wink Martindale would of been a great choice

What about Jim Peck or Jim Perry?

Wink and Jim Perry were both doing syndicated that year too, Headline Chasers and Sale respectively. Jim Peck was available though.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2018, 04:27:51 PM »
Wink and Jim Perry were both doing syndicated that year too, Headline Chasers and Sale respectively. Jim Peck was available though.
That being said, Peck was out of both Wink's and Perry's league. Not that he was bad, mind you, but still a slight step down compared to either of them.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 01:22:31 AM »
That being said, Peck was out of both Wink's and Perry's league. Not that he was bad, mind you, but still a slight step down compared to either of them.

You know I just realized, I got this all mixed up....Wink and I think BOTH Jim's woulda been available in 1977 for nighttime. I was confusing the original thread title with the conversation around the era that preceded it. Mea culpa on my end.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2018, 04:12:17 PM »
Been sitting on some notes regarding this run of the show; it's kind of an infodump but heregoes:

Show N-0335 (Taping week 33, show 5; show 165 out of 170 taped) recorded on 2/26/1986, and aired in roughly May (airdate on slate was TBA) 

Shows *definitely* were not aired in strict taping order; the definite first show aired (at least in major markets) in Sept. '85 used the second intro out of three (big door pan with prizes behind the doors, still blue titles, "Show sparkling with excitement"); the earliest tapings used the same spiel and setup as the 70s shows (audience pan, "audience is sparkling with excitement", just continuing with the daytime light border.

When GSN ran the show briefly in the mid 90s they appear to have, as with virtually every other Goodson show, run Tom's version of Price in taping order. When they included it in their '97 First on the 1st marathon they aired the first taped show, even though the presenter indicated otherwise.

When the show was taped, the show-ending plugs ("Contestants not appearing on stage may receive...") were done in post-production, a relative rarity for Goodson shows of any era.  In the one master I have, the show's logo card (the golden "space" logo) plays over the theme with the crowd, with no announcer for the duration of the plugs.  Those were edited in later (Hence why Gene is heard on the otherwise-Johnny O-announced "finished" versions aired on GSN; depending on when they were taped, Johnny would have been at times unavailable - or later dead.). Relatedly, I'm fairly certain I have at least one episode where Gene is announcer while Rod does the plugs.

Personal opinion is that Tom was exceptional; I've got about a dozen episodes with him as host and enjoy them greatly.  It's also one of the few shows that I proactively wish I could "complete the set" with.  I adore Tom's hosting work in general, love Price OBVIOUSLY, and would love to see the entire run start to finish. I do not believe there was another host available in that era who could have exceeded Tom's performance, and with thirty years of hindsight actually find Tom more enjoyable to watch than Bob. (There are a lot of details about Bob's hosting, particularly in the 70s and 80s, that I find a little cringy in 2018) . 

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2018, 05:10:14 PM »
the definite first show aired (at least in major markets) in Sept. '85 used the second intro out of three (big door pan with prizes behind the doors, still blue titles, "Show sparkling with excitement"); the earliest tapings used the same spiel and setup as the 70s shows (audience pan, "audience is sparkling with excitement", just continuing with the daytime light border.
What was the third intro?

When [GSN] included it in their '97 First on the 1st marathon they aired the first taped show, even though the presenter indicated otherwise.
Would that be this one?

[The show-ending plugs] were edited in later (Hence why Gene is heard on the otherwise-Johnny O-announced "finished" versions aired on GSN; depending on when they were taped, Johnny would have been at times unavailable - or later dead.). Relatedly, I'm fairly certain I have at least one episode where Gene is announcer while Rod does the plugs.
There were. GSN also aired Johnny-announced episodes with Rod doing the plugs, and I know for certain that new plugs were edited in for repeat airings (such as this episode recorded on June 27, 1985 where Rod does the plugs, including My Little Pony: The Movie, which was not released until June 1986).
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2018, 05:45:45 PM »
What was the third intro?

Literally the exact same as the second but they'd made the opening titles orange by that point.  I'm just counting them as separate (closer to 2A and 2B than 2 and 3) when trying to work out when an episode is from.

Would that be this one?

Yes

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2018, 09:48:21 PM »
For 1977, there weren’t many other hosts available, had Barker turned it down. Tom Kennedy, Jack Narz, Jack Clark (I think he would have done a fine job), etc were all busy in syndication. Jim Peck just wouldn’t be good enough. Jim Perry was mostly an unknown here. Was Art James busy?

1985-86, Tom Kennedy was the best available. Perry was busy with Sale, Narz was pretty much retired, Eubanks with Newlywed, Wink had his own show Headline Chasers, Art James had Catch Phrase, etc. Jack Clark might have been able to juggle his announcing gig with Wheel, depending on his contract. Guys like Lange and Peck would be too pedestrian. Rayburn just wouldn’t be the right fit, plus he was starting Break the Bank.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:52:20 PM by someguy23475 »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2018, 11:59:39 PM »
[The third opening is l]iterally the exact same as the second but they'd made the opening titles orange by that point.

For the record, this also happened on the daytime show, presumably at the same time.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2018, 01:18:23 PM »
I would bet they would have just cancelled the nighttime show if Bob didn't want to do it.  Why pick someone else?

...but since this is the Internet and it runs on hypotheticals, what about Alex Trebek in 1977?
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Mark

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2018, 02:44:45 PM »
...but since this is the Internet and it runs on hypotheticals, what about Alex Trebek in 1977?
Alex Trebek's personality wouldn't fit Price.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2018, 07:35:04 PM »
Been sitting on some notes regarding this run of the show; it's kind of an infodump but heregoes:

Show N-0335 (Taping week 33, show 5; show 165 out of 170 taped) recorded on 2/26/1986, and aired in roughly May (airdate on slate was TBA) 

Shows *definitely* were not aired in strict taping order; the definite first show aired (at least in major markets) in Sept. '85 used the second intro out of three (big door pan with prizes behind the doors, still blue titles, "Show sparkling with excitement"); the earliest tapings used the same spiel and setup as the 70s shows (audience pan, "audience is sparkling with excitement", just continuing with the daytime light border.

When GSN ran the show briefly in the mid 90s they appear to have, as with virtually every other Goodson show, run Tom's version of Price in taping order. When they included it in their '97 First on the 1st marathon they aired the first taped show, even though the presenter indicated otherwise.

When the show was taped, the show-ending plugs ("Contestants not appearing on stage may receive...") were done in post-production, a relative rarity for Goodson shows of any era.  In the one master I have, the show's logo card (the golden "space" logo) plays over the theme with the crowd, with no announcer for the duration of the plugs.  Those were edited in later (Hence why Gene is heard on the otherwise-Johnny O-announced "finished" versions aired on GSN; depending on when they were taped, Johnny would have been at times unavailable - or later dead.). Relatedly, I'm fairly certain I have at least one episode where Gene is announcer while Rod does the plugs.

Personal opinion is that Tom was exceptional; I've got about a dozen episodes with him as host and enjoy them greatly.  It's also one of the few shows that I proactively wish I could "complete the set" with.  I adore Tom's hosting work in general, love Price OBVIOUSLY, and would love to see the entire run start to finish. I do not believe there was another host available in that era who could have exceeded Tom's performance, and with thirty years of hindsight actually find Tom more enjoyable to watch than Bob. (There are a lot of details about Bob's hosting, particularly in the 70s and 80s, that I find a little cringy in 2018) .

Thanks for the info, I am curious on the post production....did the original nighttime run do the plugs that way as well if you or anyone else for that matter know? Or was that an 85-86 only thing?

As far as Tom hosting, there's a particular moment that stands out as far as the differences between him and Bob. It's the Switcheroo 5 for 5 on first try moment, where when he congratulates the winner, she says thank you and he very sweetly says to her "You're welcome". It's a real genuine moment (can be seen here), and one I really like. It's very different from what Bob would do or even what Drew might now (though I still find him more personable at times than Bob was even at his peak).