Author Topic: Nighttime Price (85-86 run) taping schedule?  (Read 9440 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Nighttime Price (85-86 run) taping schedule?
« on: December 13, 2018, 04:10:06 PM »
I was thinking about this today, and have at times wondered in general...but what was the taping schedule like around that? More specifically, how much of it's 1 year run was Johnny actually around for compared to the concurrent daytime season? I know they were taping for the nighttime run as early as March, did they run all through the spring and summer? Or was it just a small amount recorded before a break and then more taped starting in the fall?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:14:04 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Nighttime Price (85-86 run) taping schedule?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 04:33:54 PM »
Taping was about 2.5 months behind daytime episodes in terms of time between tape and air date, since the final episodes were taped in February 1986. We've had a thread in the past discussing the various changes on the run. The September 1985 episodes are roughly similar to what the set looked like to the April 1985 daytime episodes, which were taped in March with the original blue seats in the audience. However, it tended to air out of order a bit more, and Gene Wood was the only fill-in announcer between Johnny Olson and Rod Roddy in there. The summer taping break also applied to the Kennedy Version, with the first post-break episodes having things like Contestants Row going back to green, the blue Pick a Pair logo, and the new Danger Price set. With ten shows total a week in addition to both $25,000 and $100,000 Pyramid that season, it was busy back then!
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 09:20:33 PM »
Were Dennis James or Bob Barker ever considered to host the 1985-1986 series?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 10:18:04 PM »
Pretty sure Dennis was for all intents and purposes retired once he got done with the show in 1977. I think (don't quote me on this) Bob was asked, but turned it down, thinking it'd be overexposure for him.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 07:20:01 AM »
I find it a bit of a stretch to think that Bob Barker was ever worried about overexposure.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 10:16:29 AM »
Taping was about 2.5 months behind daytime episodes in terms of time between tape and air date, since the final episodes were taped in February 1986. We've had a thread in the past discussing the various changes on the run. The September 1985 episodes are roughly similar to what the set looked like to the April 1985 daytime episodes, which were taped in March with the original blue seats in the audience. However, it tended to air out of order a bit more, and Gene Wood was the only fill-in announcer between Johnny Olson and Rod Roddy in there. The summer taping break also applied to the Kennedy Version, with the first post-break episodes having things like Contestants Row going back to green, the blue Pick a Pair logo, and the new Danger Price set. With ten shows total a week in addition to both $25,000 and $100,000 Pyramid that season, it was busy back then!

They woulda had the new Card Sharks as well around that time, so that woulda made for 5 different shows.

I knew Gene and Rod woulda been the only nighttime fill ins, which I'm sure was because of the taping schedule relative to the daytime run and possibly not wanting to confuse audiences who watched both in turn. Could you refer me to where all the changes were discussed previously? I'd be interested to check that out.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 10:18:41 AM »
I find it a bit of a stretch to think that Bob Barker was ever worried about overexposure.

I had seen recently (and think before as well) it was more about the energy he'd have to expend adding another 5 shows a week to what he was already doing.

Offline whewfan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 04:53:36 AM »

Actually, it was a concern, according to his book. Part of the reason he quit Truth or Consequences was, with TPIR going to an hour, also doing T or C was overexposure. Also, even with Bob hosting, the nighttime version didn't have the ratings of the daytime version, and considering Bob's taping schedule at that time with daytime TPIR, he didn't want to wear himself out. When TPIR went to an hour, the nighttime version's shortcomings showed... it was rushed more, it didn't have as many different games played, and there was no showcase showdown. Needless to say a half hour TPIR would NEVER happen today, especially considering the current run is actually 38 minutes minus commercials.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 02:38:00 PM »
Actually, it was a concern, according to his book. Part of the reason he quit Truth or Consequences was, with TPIR going to an hour, also doing T or C was overexposure. Also, even with Bob hosting, the nighttime version didn't have the ratings of the daytime version, and considering Bob's taping schedule at that time with daytime TPIR, he didn't want to wear himself out. When TPIR went to an hour, the nighttime version's shortcomings showed... it was rushed more, it didn't have as many different games played, and there was no showcase showdown. Needless to say a half hour TPIR would NEVER happen today, especially considering the current run is actually 38 minutes minus commercials.

I wonder.....would there ever have been a consideration to try going an hour at night as well as during the day when it went there permanently? I tend to doubt it, but I'd be curious if it was ever floated as an idea to make both versions look the same from a gameplay standpoint.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 10:14:43 AM »
There wouldn’t have been enough available clearances to make that work, realistically.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 07:05:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure ToC was canceled in 1974, the year before 'Price' went to an hour. They produced enough shows to carry on with new episodes, reruns (or likely both) through the summer of 1975. But ToC was already out of production well before TPIR went to 60 minutes.

If the show had been doing well enough in the ratings, it would have continued without Barker.

I do know that Barker was unavailable for the 1977 syndicated version of ToC they tried to relaunch because he'd already committed to taking over the nighttime 'Price.'
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 08:10:52 PM »
There wouldn’t have been enough available clearances to make that work, realistically.

Yeah I did consider that, and maybe some fears of overexposure at 2 full hours a week daytime and nighttime as well in addition. But yeah I can see clearances being an issue. How many syndicated game shows at that time actually ran in an hour format? Or even two half hour back to back? I can't imagine the concept was as common as it might be now in the latter way.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure ToC was canceled in 1974, the year before 'Price' went to an hour. They produced enough shows to carry on with new episodes, reruns (or likely both) through the summer of 1975. But ToC was already out of production well before TPIR went to 60 minutes.

If the show had been doing well enough in the ratings, it would have continued without Barker.

I do know that Barker was unavailable for the 1977 syndicated version of ToC they tried to relaunch because he'd already committed to taking over the nighttime 'Price.'

Do you think nighttime Price woulda just been cancelled if he HAD taken the 77 ToC before agreeing to it? Or would they have looked for another host? And if they woulda, who coulda taken it at that time do you think?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 08:34:41 PM »
How many syndicated game shows at that time actually ran in an hour format?
To the best of my knowledge, none. Only syndie game I can think of at all trying to go an hour was the 1994-1995 Family Feud with Richard Dawson, off the top of my head.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 08:59:06 PM »
Do you think nighttime Price (would have) just been cancelled if he HAD taken the 77 ToC before agreeing to it?

If they thought the show could work with someone other than Barker -- as it had with Dennis James -- they surely would have brought in someone else.

Who could have taken it at that time do you think?

My first choice at that time would have been Jack Narz, although I think Tom Kennedy could have done well. He was underrated as host of the 80s syndicated 'Price.'
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place