Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 12/27/2018  (Read 12037 times)

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 12/27/2018
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2018, 07:21:48 PM »
I was also telling at my TV today during Bonkers. I didn't really see an issue in Drew's explanation. He's explained it that exact way countless times before and never had a situation like this. It was definitely frustrating to watch as a LFAT, but it did exhume a reaction and Drew's handling of it made for good television.

What I'm surprised no one is talking about is Joncea 1-upping every. Single. Round. It got old very fast and I really felt like she was being a poor sport about it by laughing after doing it. I found myself rooting against her. When she won the piggybank in Any Number and lost the Showcase I was actually happy... and I shouldn't feel that way as a viewer.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 07:33:33 PM »

What I'm surprised no one is talking about is Joncea 1-upping every. Single. Round. It got old very fast and I really felt like she was being a poor sport about it by laughing after doing it. I found myself rooting against her. When she won the piggybank in Any Number and lost the Showcase I was actually happy... and I shouldn't feel that way as a viewer.
She did NOT 1-up Every single round. The first item up for bids. The bids were from right to left: Brittany ($1,100), Terry ($1,150), Joncea ($1,016), and Thomas ($1.00)
The fourth item up for bids. The bids were from right to left: Lawrence ($650), Nancy ($925), Joncea ($1,500), and Carla ($1,250). Based on those two rounds, you statement is wrong.
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 01:21:46 AM »
Today's Bonkers playing reminds me a lot of one particular Split Decision playing which was won in a very similar manner.  This is one of those playings that would have had exasperated Bob to no end, and one which would have led him to proclaim "Ladies and gentlemen, we are in the presence of a miracle!"
JBK

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 09:58:22 PM »
Besides that terrible Bonkers playing, what a weird price in That's Too Much.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 03:00:27 AM »
I know I'm coming in late here, but holy crap was that a terrible playing of Bonkers.  I genuinely have no idea what Carla was trying to do up there...although she obviously didn't, either, which was the whole problem.  Before Drew stopped the clock and started walking her through everything, I really thought she might not even get a single turn finished.  I'd say it was amazing that she won, too, but the game was blatantly set up for a win, which was really the only thing she had going for her (and even that took her two tries).

And it was the only win, too.  That was absolutely bizarre.

I have to say I don't understand all the hatred at today's Bonkers player.

Yes, she didn't run fast like most players do, or like we might expect, but playing her way still led her to a win...so what does it matter? As long as she didn't cheat. The show is all about rewarding smart shoppers, after all, not fast shoppers.

I don't think it was "undeserved" at all. I also don't think it's fair to root against her at the Wheel just because she played a little differently.

That's a completely ridiculous assessment.  You act as though Carla was employing some kind of strategy by playing Bonkers as illogically as possible.  Aside from the fact that that in and of itself makes no sense, she clearly didn't understand the game.  You can't strategize or cheat at something if you don't even know what you're supposed to be doing.

As for whether it matters or not...well, it technically doesn't matter that the Patriots only won the Super Bowl because they intercepted the Seahawks, either, but that didn't stop everyone from talking about it for the next three weeks.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 05:38:58 PM »
That's a completely ridiculous assessment.  You act as though Carla was employing some kind of strategy by playing Bonkers as illogically as possible.  Aside from the fact that that in and of itself makes no sense, she clearly didn't understand the game.  You can't strategize or cheat at something if you don't even know what you're supposed to be doing.

As for whether it matters or not...well, it technically doesn't matter that the Patriots only won the Super Bowl because they intercepted the Seahawks, either, but that didn't stop everyone from talking about it for the next three weeks.

Steve, forgive me, but please don't put words in my mouth. I don't believe I ever acted "as though Carla was employing some kind of strategy." All I said was she played it differently than others, which is very true. It may have seemed illogical to you, and she indeed may not have known what she was doing--but none of that changes the fact that she won. How does her method of play, as long as she wasn't cheating, make any difference?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 08:41:03 PM »
Steve, forgive me, but please don't put words in my mouth. I don't believe I ever acted "as though Carla was employing some kind of strategy." All I said was she played it differently than others, which is very true. It may have seemed illogical to you, and she indeed may not have known what she was doing--but none of that changes the fact that she won. How does her method of play, as long as she wasn't cheating, make any difference?

You said the show rewards "smart shoppers."  Either that implies that Carla was doing something intentional, or you're just tossing out buzzwords without thinking about what they mean.

I am not putting words in your mouth.  It's not my fault if you can't understand what you wrote in your own post.

(And if I still have to explain your final point, you're just being deliberately ignorant.)

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 09:09:54 PM »
You said the show rewards "smart shoppers."  Either that implies that Carla was doing something intentional, or you're just tossing out buzzwords without thinking about what they mean.

I am not putting words in your mouth.  It's not my fault if you can't understand what you wrote in your own post.

(And if I still have to explain your final point, you're just being deliberately ignorant.)

Please...less hostilty. It's quite uncalled for.

You're right, I did reference the fact that the show awards smart shoppers. All I was suggesting was that maybe she had an idea about what the price was and didn't feel the need to rush. I don't consider that a "strategy," which is why  didn't use the word. So yes...I feel that you are putting words in my mouth. I also feel it's unnecessarily hostile of you to suggest I don't think about things. I do...I just apparently think differently than you do.

And I still don't quite understand the hostility towards her for how she played. Yes, I get that the game is meant to be a fast-paced event like Race Game, but whether she understood that or not doesn't change the fact that she won without doing it. I'd call that extraordinary good luck, maybe even blind luck, but I still feel a win is a win, as long as it was come by honestly.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 07:21:51 AM »
You're right, I did reference the fact that the show awards smart shoppers. All I was suggesting was that maybe she had an idea about what the price was and didn't feel the need to rush. I don't consider that a "strategy," which is why  didn't use the word. So yes...I feel that you are putting words in my mouth. I also feel it's unnecessarily hostile of you to suggest I don't think about things. I do...I just apparently think differently than you do.

Well, I'm glad you were able to articulate this.  This level of detail is what was missing the first time around.

And I still don't quite understand the hostility towards her for how she played. Yes, I get that the game is meant to be a fast-paced event like Race Game, but whether she understood that or not doesn't change the fact that she won without doing it. I'd call that extraordinary good luck, maybe even blind luck, but I still feel a win is a win, as long as it was come by honestly.

This, though, I still don't get.  You act as though the fact that she won makes discussing how or why it happened a waste of time, which...just doesn't make any sense.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 10:41:16 AM »
This, though, I still don't get.  You act as though the fact that she won makes discussing how or why it happened a waste of time, which...just doesn't make any sense.

Good discussion is never a waste of time! I just think it's excessive to say things like didn't deserve the win, is all.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
And I owe you an apology.  I really believed you weren't thinking things through, but you proved otherwise.  Sorry for being so snarky.