Author Topic: Your TPIR wishes for 2019  (Read 25446 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: Your TPIR wishes for 2019
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2019, 09:43:45 PM »

A Couple of Things:

1.) Stop having Drew having to say hi to George on every opening episode.
I disagree. I believe it's nice that Drew does so, for mainly one reason: He's the first to do so. Take a look at old Barker eps. He never introduced the announcer, whether it was Johnny Olson, Rod Roddy or Rich Fields. The announcer was sorta "there". I think it's another way of Drew making it Drew's show.

Something that we have not seen on store shelves in about 15 years, a Price Is Right home board game.
While I whole-heartedly agree with the idea, I think we as a culture are shifting more towards mobile games, as seen with the TPIR Slots and TPIR Bingo games. It's a perfectly reasonable decision, being as though the vast majority of our lives incorporates smart devices, like smartphones and self-driving cars. Besides, everybody has their phones with them. A TPIR board game would be too bulky to carry around, especially with the dangers of losing small pieces.

CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2019, 10:30:40 PM »
I disagree. I believe it's nice that Drew does so, for mainly one reason: He's the first to do so. Take a look at old Barker eps. He never introduced the announcer, whether it was Johnny Olson, Rod Roddy or Rich Fields. The announcer was sorta "there". I think it's another way of Drew making it Drew's show.

While I whole-heartedly agree with the idea, I think we as a culture are shifting more towards mobile games, as seen with the TPIR Slots and TPIR Bingo games. It's a perfectly reasonable decision, being as though the vast majority of our lives incorporates smart devices, like smartphones and self-driving cars. Besides, everybody has their phones with them. A TPIR board game would be too bulky to carry around, especially with the dangers of losing small pieces.

Don't come off the wrong way, but that post may be the best thing you've ever said on this site. I like to see it.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2019, 10:14:42 AM »
Thanks for the compliment! I was at the top of my game that day. Happens about once a year.  :biggrin:

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2019, 12:00:44 PM »
  Besides, everybody has their phones with them. A TPIR board game would be too bulky to carry around, especially with the dangers of losing small pieces.

And herein lies a problem with society.   Phone games are Not better.   The board game encourages interaction, to the point of requiring it.   When you play the board game, you’re the closest most people can come to participating in an episode.   You can be the player, the host, the announcer, even the model.   This is far bettter than playing a generic slots game with a TPIR skin.   

Our society has also shrugged a little thing called “responsibility.”   If you care about something,you take care of it.    My parents have a cabinet full of board games we played growing up and not one of them is missing pieces.  Not just the TPIR board game, but Monopoly, Easy Money,  Checkers, chess, backgammon, trivia adventure, Chinese checkers, Uno, etc.    we played as a family and those are great memories, and we took care of the pieces and parts because we wanted to play again.

Now, that said, what I would love to see is a board game that has app integration.   The game could consist of a set of prize cards with QR codes to have a prize display on an app, with or without an announcer.   On the cards would be the price and a description to read, along with a photo on the reverse for use in board pieces.   A small selection of games well suited to board games would be included in the box (pretty much any game which has a set that doesn’t require mechanical movement or video effects could be made to work) and there could be additional games in the app, as well as a big wheel that actually looks and acts like the big wheel, instead of just a spinner (which would have to be in the box).  There’s also a potential for in-app sales by adding games and updating prices.

Such a game as that would be playable right out of the box, but enhanced by technology.   It would maintain the look and feel of the show,   The app would not work standalone, it would require the box set.    I’d buy such a game.   In fact... if some company wants to take that idea And build something out of it, please, please, please do so.   Not only can you have the idea, i’ll Buy the first box and add on stuff in the app. 

Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2019, 09:34:09 AM »
And herein lies a problem with society.   Phone games are Not better.   The board game encourages interaction, to the point of requiring it.   When you play the board game, you’re the closest most people can come to participating in an episode.
I don't have a problem with mobile games BUT they cannot be the driving force of a teenager's entertainment.

Say you're at Thanksgiving dinner with your family. After everyone has finished eating, you decide to play Monopoly. Assuming that no one has yet mastered the art of board flipping  :biggrin: you suddenly find yourself on Boardwalk paying $2000 to your cousin Joe. Think about this for a minute. You were flush with cash, now you're mortgaging most of your properties. Your opponent receives his rent, and is now in a wonderful mood. You, not so much. After all, the only thing you've got left is one house. At least you have somewhere to stay.

Regardless of how the game is resolved, my point is that there is interaction between you and the other players. Moods, like hotels, rise and fall. Money changes hands. You watch as others go bankrupt, one by one. Now let's see how this compares to a mobile game.

You sit down to a computer and open the app. You find yourself competing against three other players. For the most part, you have no idea who they are or where they are from. Money is tabulated electronically, so you no longer have that feeling of excitement when cousin Joe lands on States and you greet him with a $750 bill. You have no opportunity to watch for body language to help you make your next move; all you're doing is looking at a screen. You're all by yourself in a room, nobody's gathered around the dining room table. Sure there may be some great sound effects and screen graphics but it's all forced anyway. Nobody likes playing a mobile game with no pizzazz.

Man was made to be a sociable being. Whether you believe in God or not (which I do, and I'm proud of it; but that's not my main point) the point is, it's a fact that the vast majority of the human race does not like to be alone.

I've said my piece; thank you for your time.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:41:22 AM by tpir04 »

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2019, 07:08:23 PM »
Season36 your idea for the board game with the app and QR codes sounds like a game my mom bought for me called Shop N Time.  It's a game where you get a group of cards of old time products and try to guess the prices.  We had a lot of fun playing it and if a new PIR board game had a similar gameplay we'd definitely enjoy it.  Your ideas for a modernized PIR board game sounded similar to that game.   

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2019, 09:51:21 PM »

A Price Is Right board game would not be that bulky if the 2004 Endless Games edition format was followed closely. Remember, back in 2012, we almost had a new TPIR board game for the CBS show's 40th anniversary but red tape with Fremantle got in the way and the plans fell through.
Jay Williams

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2019, 05:27:02 PM »
Remember, back in 2012, we almost had a new TPIR board game for the CBS show's 40th anniversary but red tape with Fremantle got in the way and the plans fell through.
New info to me. Thanks!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2019, 01:57:17 AM »
Remember, back in 2012, we almost had a new TPIR board game for the CBS show's 40th anniversary but red tape with Fremantle got in the way and the plans fell through.

No, I can't say that I do.  Does this ring a bell for anyone else?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2019, 06:27:32 PM »
No, I can't say that I do.  Does this ring a bell for anyone else?
Let me clear things up and explain what I said the other night about a proposed 2012 TPIR board game. About 10 years ago, a fellow by the name of Travis Schario, who created the 2004 Price is Right game for Endless Games, had worked on a possible new Price Is Right board game in a Super Deluxe Edition, but could not a game manufacturer to take it. Then a couple of years later in 2011, I suggested an idea to Travis about a Price is Right 40th Anniversary Edition board game in possibly a regular (modeled like the 2004 game with 45 games) and deluxe (with 64 pricing games) versions for 2012 for Endless Games, who I had badgered them myself for a couple of years before. Unfortunately, they ran into some red tape with Fremantle over the licensing and the new game never materialized.
Jay Williams

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2019, 10:16:18 PM »
So basically, you sent some e-mails to Endless Games that had no hope of ever getting anywhere, and they didn't get anywhere.

That's not a new board game.  That's you wasting your time.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2019, 01:14:02 PM »
So basically, you sent some e-mails to Endless Games that had no hope of ever getting anywhere, and they didn't get anywhere.

That's not a new board game.  That's you wasting your time.
Steve, at where I work at in suburbs of Columbus, Ohio, I have come up with ideas that were dead on arrival. Plus, I have not spoken to or emailed anyone at Endless Games on anything since and remember, I first made that suggestion to Travis Schario back in 2011 and have not emailed him since, which meant a new TPIR board game idea was dead on arrival. So, enough said.
Jay Williams

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2019, 01:52:56 PM »
Steve, at where I work at in suburbs of Columbus, Ohio, I have come up with ideas that were dead on arrival. Plus, I have not spoken to or emailed anyone at Endless Games on anything since and remember, I first made that suggestion to Travis Schario back in 2011 and have not emailed him since, which meant a new TPIR board game idea was dead on arrival. So, enough said.

I'm sorry, but...no. Forgive me for wading into this, but what you just described doesn't equal "we almost had a new board game." Not even close. "Almost had a new board game" implies there was already work being done on the game and Fremantle got in the way.

The act of you mentioning it to someone who didn't e-mail you back doesn't equal "almost had a board game," especially if you (as you described it) "badgered" the company with e-mails on the same topic. Persistence is one thing, but there's a point at which a line gets crossed and it just becomes annoying.

Unless I'm missing something, from what you tell us it sounds a lot like your original suggestion wasn't even acknowledged. You told us yourself the idea was dead on arrival, and there's absolutely no logical way to equate that with "almost had a new board game."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:56:18 PM by ThomHuge »

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2019, 04:58:44 PM »
I'm sorry, but...no. Forgive me for wading into this, but what you just described doesn't equal "we almost had a new board game." Not even close. "Almost had a new board game" implies there was already work being done on the game and Fremantle got in the way.

The act of you mentioning it to someone who didn't e-mail you back doesn't equal "almost had a board game," especially if you (as you described it) "badgered" the company with e-mails on the same topic. Persistence is one thing, but there's a point at which a line gets crossed and it just becomes annoying.

Unless I'm missing something, from what you tell us it sounds a lot like your original suggestion wasn't even acknowledged. You told us yourself the idea was dead on arrival, and there's absolutely no logical way to equate that with "almost had a new board game."
  Steve and ThomHuge, remember that between 2007 and 2009, Travis Schario, who did the 2004 TPIR game, tried to get two more TPIR board game versions on to store shelves on behalf of Endless: one In a Quick Picks travel edition and the second in a Super Deluxe Edition, but neither one made it. Then in 2011, I emailed Travis with an idea for a new game to coincide with the show's 40th Anniversary on CBS to no avail despite Wikipedia briefly mentioning one in 2012, it did not happen of course and was promptly removed. I have not emailed him or Endless Games about anything or this since.
Jay Williams

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2019, 08:14:36 PM »
despite Wikipedia briefly mentioning one in 2012, it did not happen of course and was promptly removed.

An unsourced rumor on Wikipedia is not evidence of anything. I could edit it right now and add that Drew is considering leaving at the end of the season to host Wheel of Fortune. Doesn't make it any more true.

Then in 2011, I emailed Travis with an idea for a new game to coincide with the show's 40th Anniversary on CBS to no avail

That's not evidence of anything either--I could email Taylor Swift tell her I have a great idea for a song where she celebrates 48 years of Price is Right being on the air. If she doesn't write back, I can't go around telling people that "OMG Taylor Swift might be writing a song about TPIR!"

Unfortunately, they ran into some red tape with Fremantle over the licensing and the new game never materialized.

What evidence do you have that the idea for the game got to Fremantle? And how do you know that it was "licensing" or "red tape" that stopped it, and not, say, that they simply didn't want to do it?

"Red tape" means some regulation or excessive formality stopped it. It implies that it would have gotten off of the ground if not for some archaic practice. Fremantle not giving permission is not "red tape". Getting permission from the rights holders is the FIRST thing you need to do before making a licensed game. It is absolutely not archaic.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."