Author Topic: Your TPIR wishes for 2019  (Read 25459 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Your TPIR wishes for 2019
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2019, 10:17:05 PM »
Jay, nothing you've said in this thread makes a dent in the original assessment of "You annoyed a bunch of people who didn't care about anything you were saying, so they ignored you."

Whether you're aware of it or not, you're completely wrong about this subject.  Please do not post about it again.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2019, 05:16:36 PM »
Jay, nothing you've said in this thread makes a dent in the original assessment of "You annoyed a bunch of people who didn't care about anything you were saying, so they ignored you."

Whether you're aware of it or not, you're completely wrong about this subject.  Please do not post about it again.
Steve, I do want to apologize to you and all of the fellow bloggers on golden-road.net who I have affended and annoyed over my recent comments on this subject. I am sorry for all of this.
Jay Williams

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2019, 06:31:10 PM »
We're not offended.  We're just baffled that you can't seem to get it through your head that you weren't actually influencing anybody.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2019, 07:52:58 PM »
My 2019 wishes:

1. That Drew remains host for this year and many years to come.
2. That George remains announcer for this year and many years to come.
3. That the show remains just as fun and enjoyable as it did in 2018 (that is to say, I thought 2018 was an awesome year for the show).
Here is mine:
   Update the sets of Grocery Game, Dice Game, Money Game and Check-Out, all four are way too outdated;
   Start playing 3 Strikes for $20,000+ automobiles and adjust the chip bag;
   More playings of other older games like Bonus Game, Shell Game and Hi-Lo.. Plus, Golden Road and Triple Play should be played on a once-monthly basis;
   Debut their new pricing game of the season, Crane Game;
   Cut back the playings of Pick-A-Number and That's Too Much as they have been overplayed.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 07:56:41 PM by jaywilliams »
Jay Williams

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2019, 08:13:16 PM »
   Debut their new pricing game of the season, Crane Game;
You know Crane Game was nothing more than a hoax, right?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2019, 10:32:30 PM »
Start playing 3 Strikes for $20,000+ automobiles and adjust the chip bag
Why would you want to have 3 Strikes be played for non-luxury cars?

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2019, 10:58:51 PM »
These are some bizarre ideas, Williams.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2019, 10:12:49 AM »
These are some bizarre ideas, Williams.

Some of them are, but I could actually get behind playing games like Triple Play and Golden Road more often, especially if we could cut back on things like Pick-a-Number or That's Too Much or Money Game at the same time. I get that we're losing ever more time to commercials, but it feels like we're relying too much on quick games to get us through the hour these days. It also feels like TTM is never won, which is just as bad.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:23:03 AM by ThomHuge »

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2019, 10:48:11 AM »
It also feels like TTM is never won, which is just as bad.
I believe that's the point of TTM. Say it with me here... "Budget Saver." (that being said, I'm no happier about it than anyone else is here, but I realize it happens for a reason)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2019, 12:25:38 PM »
Some of them are, but I could actually get behind playing games like Triple Play and Golden Road more often, especially if we could cut back on things like Pick-a-Number or That's Too Much or Money Game at the same time.

Those are inherently contradictory goals though--"Play longer, more expensive games more often" and "Cut back on shorter, cheaper games". To accomplish one, you have to do less of the other.

What are you going to give up to get the airtime back? Bid on one showcase? Cut IUFBs and have players run up on stage TPIR '94 style? What about the budget? You fine with every car game being a wash for three weeks in order to pay for a few Golden Road wins?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2019, 04:31:05 PM »
Those are inherently contradictory goals though--"Play longer, more expensive games more often" and "Cut back on shorter, cheaper games". To accomplish one, you have to do less of the other.

I never claimed it was feasible, just that it was what I'd like to see happen.

What are you going to give up to get the airtime back? Bid on one showcase? Cut IUFBs and have players run up on stage TPIR '94 style? What about the budget? You fine with every car game being a wash for three weeks in order to pay for a few Golden Road wins?

In order:
* No, I don't want to cut one showcase. Two showcases works just fine.
* No, I don't want to cut IUFBs. TPiR'94 was just weird without them, especially since they had a bidder's row that they weren't using.
* No, I don't want to constantly force losses to fund G-R wins.

Now that that's out of the wayWho said anything about giving anything up to get airtime back? NBC announced not that long ago that they were cutting back on commercial time for some of their programming, I know it's a long shot but I hope that starts a trend.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2019, 06:01:40 PM »
Why would you want to have 3 Strikes be played for non-luxury cars?
First of all, it is regularly played for big ticket cars in the $40-$50-$60k range and does not get played too often nowadays. This way, if they can play it for less expensive cars, it would get more playing time again.
Jay Williams

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2019, 06:04:52 PM »
Some of them are, but I could actually get behind playing games like Triple Play and Golden Road more often, especially if we could cut back on things like Pick-a-Number or That's Too Much or Money Game at the same time. I get that we're losing ever more time to commercials, but it feels like we're relying too much on quick games to get us through the hour these days. It also feels like TTM is never won, which is just as bad.
If they would cut down the commercials time back to 12-15 minutes a show and eliminate the commercial break between the showcase presentation and the showcase reveal, it would help a lot and allow a lot of rarely played pricing games to be played on a semi regular basis again.
Jay Williams

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2019, 06:23:22 PM »
Quote from: jaywilliams
If they would cut down the commercials time back to 12-15 minutes a show and eliminate the commercial break between the showcase presentation and the showcase reveal, it would help a lot and allow a lot of rarely played pricing games to be played on a semi regular basis again.
Yeah, but that will never happen. 

More commercial time = more commercials
More commercials = more money
More money = Good thing (for the show's owners & producers)
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2019, 06:58:08 PM »
Who said anything about giving anything up to get airtime back? NBC announced not that long ago that they were cutting back on commercial time for some of their programming, I know it's a long shot but I hope that starts a trend.

Interesting reading, thanks for mentioning it.

https://www.axios.com/exclusive-nbc-slashing-prime-time-ads-even-further-3c4c884f-b386-401f-b045-68f425ceaf66.html

The idea is intriguing, though NBC's cuts seem to be focused mostly on primetime. And NBC's media empire is pretty broad (MSNBC, CNBC, a third of Hulu, a smattering of sports and entertainment cable channels) while CBS just has CBS, CBS Sports, and half of the CW. So strategies may not work 1:1 across all networks.

Ad revenue for CBS was 1.73 billion in 1Q 2018, out of a total revenue of 3.76 Billion, so 46% of CBS' revenue comes from ads. If Les Moonves is to be believed, a decade ago ad revenue accounted for over 70% of revenues, so at least it's moving in the right direction.

If something like CBS All-Access takes off, to the point where its scale envelops the regular network, then maybe there's a chance they free up a few minutes (and I've said before, I would love to see what Drew and co could do with a 44 minute timeslot). But the daytime TV landscape could look radically different if that happens--and Price's value to the network could change as the daytime landscape changes. It's certainly not a sure thing.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:02:30 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."