Author Topic: A question about wiped shows  (Read 14290 times)

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: A question about wiped shows
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2018, 05:41:47 AM »
Was the episode with the "Art Fleming would never lie" incident part of that, or was that actually among the episodes that were saved and either GSN didn't show or I missed it when they did? I'd love to have seen that episode in its entirety.
To the best of my knowledge, that episode is only known about by word of mouth, so I'd assume it to be daytime (and thus, most likely gone). AFAIK, only the last two years or so of the daytime run was saved (one source I'd seen pegged the cutoff date to April 24, 1978, claiming everything from that date forward was intact).

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2018, 07:25:09 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, that episode is only known about by word of mouth, so I'd assume it to be daytime (and thus, most likely gone). AFAIK, only the last two years or so of the daytime run was saved (one source I'd seen pegged the cutoff date to April 24, 1978, claiming everything from that date forward was intact).

As we've seen with The Doctors and The Joker's Wild(CBS era) you never know...

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2018, 10:17:20 PM »
If you mean of the CBS version, GSN aired it including the ten unaired episodes around late 2002. The last season of the actual original version (NBC, 1962-69) is pretty much kaput.

He didn't, he meant the last season of the 60's version that I had mentioned supposedly existing on some old tapes along with some Jeopardy and Concentration in that era.

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• 4/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • First person to ever see $2.75 in Pocket
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2018, 07:14:22 PM »
For me, it would undoubtedly be The Big Showdown. That is one of the greatest lost game shows IMO. My second choice would be the wiped WoF episodes.

In regards to the existence of U-matic tapes, if they do exist, I don't think we'll ever see them. U-matic is one of the most terrible videotape formats ever conceived. The VCRs easily damage the tapes (lots of wrinkling), poor color reproduction, sticky-shed syndrome, etc. It is commonly necessary to bake U-matic tapes as well.

Whenever I read about wiped shows, I always think about how lucky that Price and Match Game and all those great '70s Mark Goodson games exist.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did
Oops, that isn't true anymore

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2018, 07:56:41 PM »
Whenever I read about wiped shows, I always think about how lucky that Price and Match Game and all those great '70s Mark Goodson games exist.
And also the Dawson Family Feud. To the best of my knowledge, all the episodes (or a good portion of them) still exist, being that ABC continued the wiping practice until 1978.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2018, 09:44:53 PM »
And also the Dawson Family Feud. To the best of my knowledge, all the episodes (or a good portion of them) still exist, being that ABC continued the wiping practice until 1978.

I think a couple from 76 are missing due to tape damage, maybe a few others too after that, but otherwise yes they all exist. As a sidenote too...Feud actually was taped over the just recently completed at the time and aforementioned 70's Password series.