Author Topic: shows with the best host entrances  (Read 5311 times)

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
shows with the best host entrances
« on: January 01, 2019, 10:44:48 PM »
Which shows in the genre gave the host the best entrance onto the set in your mind?  It's not always an easy decision since many simply had the host walk out to either his podium or center stage to give the intros, but aside from the obvious choice of Door #2 opening to let Bob or Drew walk out to the top of Contestant's Row (or, alternately in the case of Golden Road shows, Bob entering through the back door and walking down the aisle to the stage), my choice would be classic Match Game:  the lights go on, the sign shoots upwards out of frame, the doors atop the stairs slide open, and Gene appears to walk down to the stage, pick up his mike from the contestants' podium, and welcome viewers.  Honorable mention: 

-Let's Make a Deal (pretty much all versions apply):  the camera pans to Monty as he makes his way down the stairs to the trading floor 

-early 2000s Jeopardy:  Alex appears walking behind the Jeopardy sign, which splits open to allow him access down to the stage 

_Legends of the Hidden Temple:  Kirk rappels down from the rafters and unhooks himself 

-Supermarket Sweep:  David rushes around the corner of the far right aisle and runs down to the front of the "store" (as a child I'd thought he'd in fact run all the way from the far back of the supermarket, when of course he likely was standing just around the corner out of the camera's sight the whole time) 

-$100,000 Name That Tune:  the show logo rises up to reveal Jim, who steps forward through the logo's archway just before it rises as well   

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: shows with the best host entrances
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 11:10:28 PM »
The original Cross-Wits had Jack Clark enter from a wall with the show’s logo. I always liked that.

Jack Narz running down the stairs on Now You See It was fun.

Offline RJSchex

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 06:37:37 AM »
"High Rollers" (1978-80)—the show's massive title logo splits off into three sections; Alex Trebek walks up from behind, to the table at his left, usually dropping a pair of dice onto the table.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 03:51:26 PM »
"High Rollers" (1978-80)—the show's massive title logo splits off into three sections; Alex Trebek walks up from behind, to the table at his left, usually dropping a pair of dice onto the table.

Alex walking down the big staircase on Classic Concentration was a good one as well. Could also put Jim Peck and the Big Showdown into this category too.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 04:11:55 PM »
Alex walking down the big staircase on Classic Concentration was a good one as well. Could also put Jim Peck and the Big Showdown into this category too.

At least, when he actually made it down said steps. :P

I always thought Allen's/Tom's entrances on "Password Plus" were pretty cool.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 04:51:20 PM »
I've always liked Pat and Vanna's entrances on Wheel of Fortune walking onto the stage and greeting each other before Pat sends Vanna off and walks to the wheel.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 11:26:10 PM »
How about TTD? After Jay's or Charlie's intro, Wink comes out of an area right next to the challenger's podium. There was one particular episode where "It's everybody's favorite game of strategy, knowledge & fun! It's TIC TAC DOUGH" was shown on the game-board, and if I remember correctly, time had been called, and as the credits rolled, we saw the game-board lights surrounding the displays dancing, and after the credits rolled, the center box had lights chasing around it, followed by a "morph" into the words Tic Tac Dough

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 12:17:22 AM »
IMO, even though it was a complete dumpster fire, The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour had a damn fine opening, especially the host intros.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 03:45:59 AM »
At least, when he actually made it down said steps. :P

I always thought Allen's/Tom's entrances on "Password Plus" were pretty cool.

Louie Anderson's Feud run as maligned as it was relative to its' precedessors, had probably the best actual entrance of any of the runs to date with the set raising up for him to walk down the steps and onto the stage. Just remembered that one thinking of P+'s opens.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 11:59:25 AM »
The second season of The $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime had the best host entrance of any game show I’ve ever seen. Watching Jim Lange elevate to the top of the set with the “$1,000,000” sign as the music played, the audience got louder, and Johnny Gilbert announced was absolutely unreal.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 12:01:46 AM »
When Richard Karn hosted Feud, was he hosting with the original set when Louie Anderson became host before him? (Note that I'm not referring to the Dawson or Combs sets)

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 12:55:29 PM »
When Richard Karn hosted Feud, was he hosting with the original set when Louie Anderson became host before him? (Note that I'm not referring to the Dawson or Combs sets)

No they changed the set when Richard Karn took over it was  Brown and the screens behind the families were bigger.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 03:41:22 PM »
IMO, even though it was a complete dumpster fire, The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour had a damn fine opening, especially the host intros.

Totally agree with you. This may have been a failed show by Mark Goodson, but I thought it was a great show overall. The music was awesome, the celebrities were awesome, I'd say just about everything about the show was awesome!!! It'd be cool to figure out how the interesting graphics during the opening were made.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 04:06:13 PM »
I'd say just about everything about the show was awesome!
Though the less said about Bowzer and the neutered Hollywood Squares format, the better.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 04:47:10 PM »
Though the less said about Bowzer and the neutered Hollywood Squares format, the better.

I agree with you they should of found someone to click with Gene or let him host the whole show and Hollywood squares wasn't as fun as the 70's version.