Author Topic: TVPMM  (Read 4923 times)

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
TVPMM
« on: November 20, 2019, 03:45:27 PM »
There's been precious little activity on the Museum of Television Production Music site (tvpmm.com) this year.  Hardly any new cues added.

Since there are still some classic TPiR cues not on there (1976 variations) -- I keep hoping to see something.

Any thoughts?

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: TVPMM
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 05:06:43 PM »
After the incident with Legends of the Hidden Temple I'd be very surprised to see anything truly rare show up there. (Part of me still wonders if that's why the Bill Carruthers estate declined to allow PYL's library to be shared there.)

If there's anything from the early days of PiR that isn't there, I'd say at this point it's probably not going to be.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 06:42:49 AM »
After the incident with Legends of the Hidden Temple I'd be very surprised to see anything truly rare show up there.

What incident was that?
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 07:22:02 AM »
What incident was that?
When someone downloaded the entire Legends of the Hidden Temple music package from the site and distributed it online (via YouTube, if memory serves). If memory serves, that incident is the reason why every single item TVPMM has is now behind a paywall (before that incident, some stuff was free to listen to without a subscription). And also, from what I'd heard, it led David G. Stanley to allegedly vow to never work with TVPMM again (i.e. there's a 0% chance we'll ever see the Shop 'til You Drop cues on the site, for instance).

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 04:40:47 PM »
Last week, TVPMM added music cues from '80s CBS game shows "Blackout" and "Skedaddle."

Maybe there's hope for more game show cues in 2020?

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 05:53:02 PM »
Maybe there's hope for more game show cues in 2020?

There's always hope, but I want to temper this with a dose of realism.

Nine years ago, TVPMM was a happening place, with new content popping up seemingly every week. (The day I realized the TNPiR'94 package was going up I was absolutely giddy.) They had rare gems that the Web had been after for years...and then the Legends of the Hidden Temple incident happened. I know there was also something with TQ's site around the same time, but I can't remember the details.

But since then, you don't see them getting anything else that's truly rare. It's telling to me that they still don't have the Steve Kaplan Jeopardy/RRJ libraries or the PYL library from the Carruthers estate, or the second John Lewis Parker package from Family Feud; as disappointing as it is, in light of LotHT it's not terribly surprising.

I actually cancelled my TVPMM membership months ago when I realized nothing new was coming that I was interested in, and never having heard of either Blackout or Skedaddle just basically reinforces that. Their Twitter feed is all but silent, and after they built anticipation for months about something spectacular (I was hoping for PYL) coming to the Museum, only for it to turn out to be Whew (a random item that was hardly the earthshattering item it was made out to be), I unfollowed them.

As much as I'd love to see a resurgence, realistically I just don't see it happening.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 06:27:57 PM »
I actually cancelled my TVPMM membership months ago when I realized nothing new was coming that I was interested in, and never having heard of either Blackout or Skedaddle just basically reinforces that.

Blackout was a show Bob Goen hosted as a stop gap between $25,000 Pyramid and the Combs era of Family Feud in 1988, but it ended up being replaced rather infamously by the very show it replaced in Pyramid after 13 weeks. Skedaddle though I had never heard of either. No idea where the hell it came from to be honest, but it apparently was a kids game show in 1988 that was produced in part by Jay Wolpert as part of a weekend block of cartoons called "The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbara". It only was part of it for 6 weeks from what I saw.

Offline yuki-louve

• Outside in Line
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 06:39:34 PM »
Skedaddle though I had never heard of either. No idea where the hell it came from to be honest, but it apparently was a kids game show in 1988 that was produced in part by Jay Wolpert as part of a weekend block of cartoons called "The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbara". It only was part of it for 6 weeks from what I saw.

I actually remember that show, though neither I nor my parents taped it and apparently nobody did (at least there's nothing of it on YouTube, DailyMotion, etc). Best way to describe it is "Double Dare meets Hot Potato, with dinosaurs" (said dinosaurs being full-body puppets a la the Banana Splits). It was hosted by Ron Pearson, who would later host "Shopping Spree" (another Wolpert show).

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 01:43:04 AM »
Blackout was a show Bob Goen hosted as a stop gap between $25,000 Pyramid and the Combs era of Family Feud in 1988, but it ended up being replaced rather infamously by the very show it replaced in Pyramid after 13 weeks. Skedaddle though I had never heard of either. No idea where the hell it came from to be honest, but it apparently was a kids game show in 1988 that was produced in part by Jay Wolpert as part of a weekend block of cartoons called "The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbara". It only was part of it for 6 weeks from what I saw.

All of which backs up my point quite nicely--nothing truly rare or noteworthy popping over at TVPMM.

Let them get the RRJ package, or a version of the 2001 Kaplan package without sax and guitar, and I'll get excited. Let them get the 2006 Feud package, and I'll re-subscribe. Let them get PYL, I'll subscribe for life.