Author Topic: Bob bowing to the audience.  (Read 4181 times)

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
Bob bowing to the audience.
« on: January 04, 2019, 05:10:20 PM »
I know that Bob would bow to the audience after taking his microphone but I have a couple of questions.

1. When did he start doing so?

2. It seems towards the end of his tenure his bow to the audience wasn't shown on camera. Anyone know why?

Offline whewfan

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Bob bowing to the audience.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 07:07:25 PM »
1- He ALWAYS bowed to the audience. I think he made the bow a little more dramatic in the 80s, especially when standing ovations became the norm, which was around '82.

2- I never noticed that... it could be just that the director wanted audience shots and sometimes that meant missing Bob's bowing... the bow was graceful and polite, but I don't think it was crucial to be seen.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 08:23:08 PM »
2. It seems towards the end of his tenure his bow to the audience wasn't shown on camera. Anyone know why?

After scanning a few shows from 2006 and 2007, the obvious answer is so that the director could show larger sweeping shots of the audience applauding -- which was why Barker was bowing to begin with.

Everything doesn't necessarily have a "why." Sometimes a director just decides to change a shot or make an adjustment just because he likes a change better.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 08:33:46 PM »
1- He ALWAYS bowed to the audience. I think he made the bow a little more dramatic in the 80s, especially when standing ovations became the norm, which was around '82.

I don't think he really did it so much in the first 7 years or so actually that I've noticed....or if he did it was very subtle vs what it became. From checking various shows it seemed to start around 79 or so. That's when it got to be what it would be for the duration of his run.

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 09:15:34 PM »
My favorite thing Bob started a few seasons in wasn't the bow, it was the move he did when the doors opened; pause for a second, do that arms throw thing, and then start walking.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 11:32:04 PM »
...it was the move he did when the doors opened; pause for a second, do that arms throw thing, and then start walking.

Do we know what that gesture/motion meant or was supposed to reference? Only thing I can come up with is it has something to do with that western episode he was in (I can't remember what show).

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 12:00:00 AM »

The more knowledgeable probably have already said the answer to this, but the first thing that popped into my head was that it was like why Bob didn’t want to be shown walking up to the steps to the turntable anymore—his thinning hair. Knowing how vain Bob is, maybe he was worried the thinning hair would be noticeable as he bowed. Just a thought. Like I said, more plausible answers have already been given.

Do we know what that gesture/motion meant or was supposed to reference? Only thing I can come up with is it has something to do with that western episode he was in (I can't remember what show).

I don’t think it means or references anything specifically. It just looked a lot neater than when he started walking out with his arms down by his side.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:02:29 AM by temptation1979ga »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 01:37:27 AM »

It was Bonanza I believe.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 01:38:16 AM »
The more knowledgeable probably have already said the answer to this, but the first thing that popped into my head was that it was like why Bob didn’t want to be shown walking up to the steps to the turntable anymore—his thinning hair. Knowing how vain Bob is, maybe he was worried the thinning hair would be noticeable as he bowed. Just a thought. Like I said, more plausible answers have already been given.

I wonder if it was him not wanting to look less graceful either by that age or not. Could see that too maybe.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 04:35:48 AM »
My favorite thing Bob started a few seasons in wasn't the bow, it was the move he did when the doors opened; pause for a second, do that arms throw thing, and then start walking.
I remember Bob elaborated on this in an interview. He said there was one time where he hit his arm on the side of the door while making his entrance. Ever since then he tucked in his arms so he wouldn't do it again.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 04:45:52 PM »

What? What would such a gesture possibly have to do with a guest shot on a western?
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 05:02:56 PM »
What? What would such a gesture possibly have to do with a guest shot on a western?

Forgive me, I was only thinking out loud. It occurred to me that it might be one of those things longtime TV hosts do that allude to something else in their careers, like Drew with his sitcom glasses. The gesture always reminded me of what stagecoach drivers do in westerns when they want to go faster, whipping the reins on their horses, and I just figured it was his way of saying "let the fun begin!"

I know he's better known for Truth or Consequences, but I didn't know he'd hit his hand on the door before, so I wouldn't have guessed that might be the reason. I just took a blind guess with what I knew about him, that's all.