Author Topic: #9871D (February 26, 1996/Summer 1996 repeat) (incomplete)  (Read 3669 times)

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
#9871D (February 26, 1996/Summer 1996 repeat) (incomplete)
« on: January 04, 2019, 09:46:04 PM »
The only other Barker episode that I have in my collection.

I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did

Offline angus91

• Outside in Line
Re: #9871D (February 26, 1996/Summer 1996 repeat) (incomplete)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 11:12:28 AM »
It's good for me that you're uploading these at 60fps. I wish more YouTubers that upload TPIR or other game shows would do the same for these classic shows.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 12:52:54 PM »
It's good for me that you're uploading these at 60fps. I wish more YouTubers that upload TPIR or other game shows would do the same for these classic shows.

Not to nitpick, but something seems off.  Perhaps the format is “60fps,” but it looks like it was captured as 30fps.  It’s still a really good quality upload, but the frame rate isn’t buttery smooth.

And while on the subject, it would be impossible to upload a 60fps version of the show anyway because it’s always been broadcast in an interlaced format (480i, now 1080i). I won’t get into the technical details of it, but any raw capture of the show in either of those formats would need to be converted to 60fps prior to uploading. The end result will still look damn near close to the original broadcast, but it will never be true 60fps because the show never aired in that format (well...it kind of does...but that’s a whole different discussion :P)

See one of my “60fps” uploads as an example of what you’re looking for:
I completely agree that there should be more effort put into capturing/uploading at 60fps, though.  It makes a HUGE difference!
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 02:37:49 PM »
This rerun aired on July 31, 1996  based on the CBS News promo about the explosion during the Atlanta Olympics had happened recently, with the games in their second week and Dave's World airing on Wednesdays at the time.

I thought the final prize on that second showcase would have been a spa, and I liked how Kathleen worked out and Mindy (?) jogged on the treadmill, you just don't see Rachel/Gwendolyn doing it with Drew.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline CaseyBuck

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 07:33:41 PM »
Here's a YouTube video that shows how to properly capture interlaced video in a 60 FPS digital video file:

The only thing is that you have to upconvert the captured video to at least 720p or higher for it to show up as 60FPS on Youtube, since they don't support 480p60 video yet.

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 08:52:10 PM »
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I always appreciate learning how I can do even better.

For the technically-oriented who are interested, I use a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1290 PCI-e card to capture my videos, and Hauppauge's WinTV program records interlaced MPEG-2 video. VidCoder is my weapon of choice for deinterlacing and upscaling (using the Yadif algorithm). I upscale because otherwise YouTube's compression absolutely KILLS the quality of the video.

I'll have to tinker around with my presets a little bit and see what improvements I can come up with. Perhaps I should reduce the compression on VidCoder's MP4 output, as YouTube re-encodes the video into VP9 upon uploading.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did