Author Topic: L.A. based prizes ?  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
L.A. based prizes ?
« on: January 06, 2019, 03:26:27 PM »
Watching an episode from 1983 where a contestant was offered season tickets to the 4 major sports teams in the Take Two game.  The contestant, from Minnesota, won the game.

I have to think that there was a contingency for the majority of people who aren't from LA for a prize such as this, but does anyone know for sure?

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: L.A. based prizes ?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 06:22:48 PM »
Watching an episode from 1983 where a contestant was offered season tickets to the 4 major sports teams in the Take Two game.  The contestant, from Minnesota, won the game.

I have to think that there was a contingency for the majority of people who aren't from LA for a prize such as this, but does anyone know for sure?

As I recall, they stopped offering for 4 LA sport team packages due to the fact contestants refused them, because they couldn't use them. They were not-transferable to other teams in those leagues.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 08:07:47 AM »
To the OP, s/he could have gone to the library, looked up the phone number for the Los Angeles Times, advertise in their classified section, and simply tell them that the tickets would be shipped out from Minnesota. The Lakers were in their Karem-Magic dynasty so those would have  been an easy sell, not to mention that the Lakers made it to the Finals 1983-84, so I'm not sure if the package included Playoffs, while the Rams/Raiders both made the playoffs in 1983. I'm sure someone could have made a reasonable offer for those, and unlike grandfather clocks or pianos, could have been shipped for a buck or two a piece.

Now in terms of short trips that are occasionally offered today with limo rides, those may lead to declines as well for those out of town.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 01:35:47 PM »
I once heard from a trustworthy source that they always gave the contestants the cash value of those tickets. I no longer remember where that info came from. It was in a Q&A somewhere other than this site. Or, I might have dreamed it...so can anyone back me up and confirm and/or link us to that statement?

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 11:25:27 PM »
I once heard from a trustworthy source that they always gave the contestants the cash value of those tickets.

I can't confirm that, but it sounds pretty likely to me.  I doubt the teams were doing promotional tradeoffs with the show.  (What would be in it for them?)