Author Topic: Which Games Could Be Improved?  (Read 13505 times)

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
Which Games Could Be Improved?
« on: January 09, 2019, 12:09:44 PM »
Personally, I'd like to see these:
-Money Game: Add a simple display a la the one introduced last year for Bullseye to track the money.
-3 Strikes: Make the design of the strike balls identical to the number balls (white with black text) to prevent cheating.  As soon as the balls were changed to red for Holiday Week, we had a clear cheater.
-Temptation and/or Stack the Deck: Due to their difficulty, play them exclusively for luxury cars.
-Any Number: Instead of winning the prize whose price is filled out first, award that prize and the prizes below it.
-Plinko: Change all the yellow lights to white.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Which Games Could Be Improved?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 02:18:35 PM »
Personally, I'd like to see these:
-Money Game: Add a simple display a la the one introduced last year for Bullseye to track the money.

The focus of Money Game isn’t the money, it’s the car. Displaying the money earned makes it look like one of the game’s objetives is to earn as much money as possible, and if “earning as much money as possible” is even 1% of a contestant’s strategy, they’re playing it wrong.

-Temptation and/or Stack the Deck: Due to their difficulty, play them exclusively for luxury cars.

Those games would become even more difficult played for luxury cars. And Stack the Deck’s main problem is not the car prices, but that the GPs are not set up properly. It’s been discussed before, but setting up all three GPs to be won most of the time would bring the win/loss ratio in line with other car games.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 02:22:48 PM »
And Stack the Deck’s main problem is not the car prices, but that the GPs are not set up properly. It’s been discussed before, but setting up all three GPs to be won most of the time would bring the win/loss ratio in line with other car games.
Which is precisely why Stack the Deck is set up in such a nasty manner. Mike deliberately uses it as a budget-saver. (not that I agree with that tactic, mind you, but there is a reason behind it)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 04:16:11 PM »
I'd be fine with Stack the Deck adding a free number removal before the GP portion in lieu of easier setups or playing it exclusively for luxury cars.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 04:22:28 PM »
Rat Race: If the person nails the first or second prize exactly, s/he gets the rest of the remaining rats automatically.

Punch A Bunch: Bring back the second chances.

2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 04:35:57 PM »
Rat Race: If the person nails the first or second prize exactly, s/he gets the rest of the remaining rats automatically.

I don’t understand why they haven’t done that already.  Why only the first two prizes though?

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 04:38:11 PM »
Fair enough. Let's say an exacta on any of the prizes wins all three rats.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 04:51:33 PM »
I'd be fine with Stack the Deck adding a free number removal before the GP portion in lieu of easier setups or playing it exclusively for luxury cars.

I assume Stacky is being won exactly as much as the producers want it to be won. If they wanted the game to be won more often, there’s an easy, proven solution that’s been done in the past. The fact that it isn’t being done suggests that Stack’s win-loss record is intentional.

If they added a free number, they would either add an eighth digit to the board or make the GPs even harder to compensate. They’re not looking to solve a problem that they themselves are intentionally causing.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline ssetta

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 06:31:18 PM »

-3 Strikes: Make the design of the strike balls identical to the number balls (white with black text) to prevent cheating.  As soon as the balls were changed to red for Holiday Week, we had a clear cheater.

They had white balls with red X's on the first playing with the new set. I think they changed them so they would be easier to tell. I think they need to make the container harder to look through before the ball is pulled out.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 11:08:26 PM »
In regards to Any Number, change the Piggy Bank to a Debit Card, and eliminate the decimal point, so that the contestant gets a substantial cash consolation.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 02:33:49 AM »
In regards to Any Number, change the Piggy Bank to a Debit Card, and eliminate the decimal point, so that the contestant gets a substantial cash consolation.

The piggy bank is a booby prize.  It isn't supposed to be substantial.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 05:35:09 AM »
The piggy bank is a booby prize.  It isn't supposed to be substantial.

Exactly. Not much of a game I'd there's no chance of losing. That's why I snarkingly call Lem 'em Roll "The Five Hundred Dollar Giveaway".
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 10:27:50 AM »
Exactly. Not much of a game I'd there's no chance of losing. That's why I snarkingly call Lem 'em Roll "The Five Hundred Dollar Giveaway".

That always bothered me. I wish they would add one more grocery item, and start with no free rolls. Unlike other games which get a "freebie" like Plinko and Pass the Buck, there is no chance for a complete loss at all in this game.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 08:44:37 PM »
That always bothered me. I wish they would add one more grocery item, and start with no free rolls. Unlike other games which get a "freebie" like Plinko and Pass the Buck, there is no chance for a complete loss at all in this game.

For what it's worth, winning exactly $500 counts as a full loss.

Your point is still valid, though -- Let 'em Roll is weird in that regard.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 09:05:41 PM »
The problem with getting rid of the free roll is that you're going to have to set it up so the contestant wins a roll anyway. Similar to Punch-A-Bunch, it's no fun to have the ramp set up and not even use it.

I realize you can't do it now since it would look like the show is getting cheap, but I would have been fine with replacing the $1,500 with $0 on each of the dice.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024