Author Topic: Biggest/hardest spins on Big Wheel; anyone remember "tell Y&R no show today"?  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Estil

• In the Audience
What I mean by "biggest/hardest" spins is not any kind of dollar amount won but i mean some big muscle guy who can make the wheel spin seemingly 10-15 times at least!  I love how Bob would freak out before hand and would make comments like "someone time me" or whatnot...

But I remember on incident from the old tpirsite.com (I'd LOVE it if someone could find it on YT) where a big muscle guy named Julius came to the wheel and Bob freaked out saying "Now Julius be careful with our Wheel...*going into his windup* JULIUS!!"

*wheel going about 90 mph*

Bob: Tell Young and Restless no show today!

PS: I've always loved it when Bob would mention Y&R in someway so any other YT videos of those would be also as well...I think I remember one incident where for whatever reason a contestant was really taking too long and having already used up the Y&R line, Bob remarked at this rate we won't be able to get the Bold and the Beautiful on time either!

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
I have a memory of Bob, one time, saying something like, "Tune in tomorrow to see where the wheel stops".

Or something like that. 
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
I remember Bob would make similar comments about Young and the Restless or the news not being on today during particularly long 3 Strikes playings as well.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob always knew when to crack a joke.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
I remember a spin on Carey’s version of the $1,000,000 Spectacular that caused him to remark that the local nighttime news would have to be preempted.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
I'm not sure if Bob ever mentioned The Bold & the Beautiful, but I believe he may have mentioned it as well once or twice, perhaps with Y&R. The most memorable for me is when one big man spun it so hard that Bob said, "If you break that wheel, you'll PAY for it!" I'd thought that the Wheel cost many tens of thousands to produce, from the lights, pegs, metals, scoreboard, and platforms. And imagine the horror if it spun into the audience and knocked people down and I vaguely recall that Bob mentioned a similar remark once.

During the early years of the Big Wheel (pre-Bonus spin), when the Wheel spun so hard, the bleeps merged together to form a constant tone, and that also seemed creepy when coming across those old '70s shows.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Sizeman

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Walking The Golden Road - after 20 years
On the topic of wheel spinning comments, I remember Bob saying this a few times after a contestant came so close to getting a dollar or a higher score than the leader:
"If only you'd had another spoon of cereal this morning." (paraphrased)

Seems like a remark he said in the late 1980's into the 90's. Anyone else recall this?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Yes I recall him saying quite a few times in close spins "if only you had one more bite of breakfast" or something to that effect. During one of the Million Dollar Spectacular's where a contestant just missed the dollar on the bonus spin he said "if only you had one more bite of lunch!" instead.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
It was always funny to hear him say that when the contestants would make the wheel seem to spin forever.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
I remember Bob's jokes about Young and the Restless quite a bit during big big wheel spins, in addition to looking at his wrist to check his watch.  I also remember him looking over to the judges' table and instructing Roger to look in the yellow pages for big wheels, after one spinner nearly sent the wheel into orbit.  Another common Bob Barker joke during hard big wheel spins was when he'd comment in regards to the current leader's total, "I forgot what score you're trying to beat." 

Offline Estil

• In the Audience
Any of these been forever immortalized on YT by any chance? :)

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
Here's one clip with not one, not two, but three huge spins!

CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline magic#92

• Taking a Bonus Spin
I always liked it when Bob would say "And [Contestant] has given it a monumental spin!"
This is Wilford Brimley reminding you to help control your diabeetus.  Check your blood sugar and check it often.

Offline Estil

• In the Audience
Here's one clip with not one, not two, but three huge spins!

Oh yes, from the classic tpirsite.com!  Of course in them olden days of dial-up being the norm all you could really do mostly is an audio clip and screenshots with captions.  All the more reason I hope the "Julius!!" moment I remember from that site is out there on YT somewhere...that'd be fun to see.