Author Topic: CSS Results for 01/17/2019 (Game 73)  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Wayoshi

• The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
CSS Results for 01/17/2019 (Game 73)
« on: January 17, 2019, 07:03:18 PM »
There was a time where the shorter the SCs took to air, the more likely an exacta was possible. That is really no longer the case, as yet another new trip just appeared out of thin air. It was pretty cheap too for Peru, the cause of most of the overs. The other couple were a bit too aggressive on that kitchen/Napa.

Close to yellow, but not quite, differences cash today: Bully and PGS (Plinko doubler as well).
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: CSS Results for 01/17/2019 (Game 73)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:33:47 PM »
I respectfully propose abolishing Plinko doubler next season.

Reason:
Guessing the way chips placed flat against a board and when released arbitrarily fall on a peg strewn board have absolutely zero relation to one’s CSS ability.  I’ve always found Plinko to be a mindless and silly game to begin with.   Tailor-made for the masses.  And then to associate it with showcase pricing diminishes showcase pricing ability.   And last I checked the show is called The Price is Right after all. 

Just my opinion of course.

Thoughts anybody?

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 01:35:54 AM »
I like the incentive to stick around in chat for the whole show. The doubler gives a reason to not just show up at 9:48 to bid (of which I’ll admit to doing at times).

And I like that it incentivizes watching actively as many days as you can, since you never know which day it will show up. Although I suspect most of us would do that anyways (or at least, the chance at getting bonus fake internet points wouldn’t be the thing that pushes somebody over the edge).

The downside is TPIR doesn’t air until 1 EST in some areas (like mine), so you’re at the mercy of others in the chat giving a detailed readout. And it’s rough participating on mobile since the window to submit a guess is just few seconds, so it’s pretty much limited to the chatroom stalwarts with a live feed.

I like the idea of the doubler but I rarely get to participate in it personally. Which is fine, I guess. I don’t feel like I’m missing out on much. It would be nice if it were a little more accessible, but I suspect that’s sort of the point.

Would you be opposed to a doubler or bonus that can be earned with pricing? Or do you see the idea of any sort of doubler as a dilution of “pure CSS skill”?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 07:47:11 AM »
I imagine many who show up at 00:48 to bid do say bc they have other commitments, yet still want to participate in this fun game.

CSS already has a doubler built-in via getting a DSW, and more so for a rare QSW.  In fact, I think the overall CSS rules are great.  CSS rewards not only good pricing, but also consistency.  We’ve all seen how zeroes can really eat away at an average.

My only reason for suggesting to can the Plinko doubler is because it has nothing to do with showcase pricing.  Everybody benefits (or not) from Double Point Fridays. I feel guessing which slot a chip is arbitrarily going to fall into dumbs down CSS.  Again, this is just my opinion.

Btw, the vast majority of time I watch either from a desktop (cbs.com) or a mobile device. (CBS App).   While it’s somewhat delayed - only about 10 seconds - I never have a problem getting my showcase bids in by 00:56:30.  Maybe your local affiliate has a longer delay?  (I’m in Chicago)

Rega

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 11:44:10 AM »
Oh, I’m talking about the Plinko doubler. The space between announcing how many chips were won and the dropping of the first chip is pretty quick. The few times I’ve done it I’m never sure if I’ve gotten it in in time. Any delay (even 10 seconds) can be killer. But the CSS window is generous enough I’ve never had problems.

Don’t have CBS all-access though. I have YouTube TV but it only reflects my local listings.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."