Author Topic: TPIR - University style  (Read 2385 times)

Offline MCJ04

• In the Audience
TPIR - University style
« on: April 29, 2007, 02:02:37 PM »
Don't know if this belongs here or somewhere else, but I wanted to share with you guys pics from a university version of TPIR that I put together.
On Friday, Urbana University of Urbana, OH hosted our Spring Fling and headlined it with The UU Price is Right.
We played Hole in One, 3 Stikes, Push Over, 1/2 Off, Dice Game, Cliffhangers, Plinko, and Punch A Bunch.
As you can see, we did 8 games - 4 per half with 4 players in each showcase showdown. The show was a hit - we ran out of name tags 10 minutes before the show and still had a line out the door!

Here's the link to the pics http://new.photos.yahoo.com/urbanasac/album/576460762399850022

Yahoo didn't like to order the pics correctly, so they're scattered around.

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPIR - University style
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 02:13:43 PM »
Looks like the show was a hit.  I like some of the props you created.

I'm getting ready to host TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno tomorrow.  It's actually our 5th anniversary, cause we first did it in spring of 2003, and our 8th show overall.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline MCJ04

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 02:18:48 PM »
thanks! Punch, 1/2 Off, and Cliffy were both made using foam insulation board. For punch, we just bought some plastic cups, cut out holes, and covered the top of the cups with tissue paper. For 3 Stikes, Dice Game, and the general show backgroudns (the turntable walls, and big doors) we used Powerpoint. We used music and SFX from the show, so it felt very close to actually being in the Bob Barker Studio.

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 02:40:05 PM »
Our first two shows were done with games on butcher paper and prizes and some games in Powerpoint.  In our show now, we have the majority of the show's games and prizes programmed using Flash with substantially similar designs to the show (we even put in Eggcrate, Vane, Sportstype and other show-specific fonts this time).  We do have some paper displays (like the Check Game check and Pathfinder keypad, new games this semester) and some other props, like an 8 foot Plinko board.    We also use music cues and sound effects from the show.

The overall effect is very close to being in Studio 33.  We even have some "Loyal Friends and True", people who have attended every show since they've been at UNR.

BTW: Interesting build on the Punchboard.  That is a game we've been debating introducing for at least a year, but we weren't sure how to build it, if we could budget it's construction, or where we'd be able to store the prop.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline MCJ04

• In the Audience
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 02:56:30 PM »
Thats awesome that you guys have done it for so long. This was the first time we've done the show and judging from the reaction from it, we'll probably make it an annual event.

Offline SamTheSham

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 09:00:30 PM »
I do an annual TPIR show for the American Cancer Society.  This year will be our fouth year.

We use two rear projection video screens as our Big Doors, each of them running Powerpoint, plus lots of physical props, like Plinko and Hole In One.

I create everything myself using Powerpoint, but after three years, I'm feeling a bit limited.  I'm not able to do games that require the use of random numbers (Any Number, Dice Game, etc.).  So far, I've only used games with set numbers (Lucky Seven), or games with props (Easy as 123).

Can anyone offer any help on how to do some "random number" games?  I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks!

-Sam

Offline uncleplinko

• 9/22/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • Travis Schario dot Net
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 10:44:53 PM »
If anyone needs any help with pricing game reproductions, I'm currently working on darn near every pricing game in Flash.  The list is rather extensive, and I do have some retired games.  Just ask, and I'll see what I can do to help.  Here is the link to pictures from our "OU Price is Right" show we did last year (Ohio University in Athens).

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~ts357903/Photos.html
(It may take a while to load.  It's Flash-based.)

We sat 288 people last year for two episodes.  This year, we're expecting a draw of 200, as we're giving away a Wii.  Pics will be uploaded after our show on Saturday night.

Like I said, I'm willing to help anyone out with my software.  Since I learned Flash, I no longer use Powerpoint.  I even have a soundboard constructed with all the music cues (including some cues from the 70s).  It's about 100 MB, but I'll let anyone have it that wants it.
New, updated site for the OU Game Show Club:  http://www.ougsas.org/

My Lewis Black Moment:  If it hadn't had been for "The Price is Right," I would have never graduated college!