Author Topic: Clearance Sale  (Read 4630 times)

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
Clearance Sale
« on: January 19, 2019, 07:02:39 AM »
I just realized it’s been over 10 years since clearance was last played. It was a quick game that the show desperately needs. They made a mistake retiring it

Offline whewfan

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Clearance Sale
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 07:21:10 AM »
I believe it was retired because the new regime felt it was too similar to Easy as 123, and since Easy as 123 came first, and honestly, was a better game, it stayed.

Online SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 09:58:05 AM »
Clearance Sale was a bad game that never needed to exist in the first place. It didn’t bring anything new to the table, and it had a garish set and music.

We’d be much better off if they brought back Buy or Sell (which should have never been retired) or even Make Your Mark.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 09:08:05 PM »
 :willyd:Clearance Sale might not have gotten as much scorn as it did if Eazy az 1-2-3 had not been around first. Personally I kinda liked Clearance Sale's set and I always thought the balloons were a cool touch. Plus, the pricing part fit well with the show, even though it made the reveal kinda predictable. To me, Eazy az 1-2-3 is just a harder version of Most Expensive with cool think music.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 10:11:50 PM »
:willyd:Clearance Sale might not have gotten as much scorn as it did if Eazy az 1-2-3 had not been around first.

You kind of got me thinking about the timeline of 3 and 4-prize games.

• Jan 1996 - Shopping Spree
  • April 1996 - Easy as 123
  • Nov 1997 - Fortune Hunter
  • Sep 1998 - Clearance Sale
  • Oct 1998 - One Wrong Price

Why did the show suddenly decide they wanted to add so many new multi-prize games in the late 90s? Seems like they were relatively uncommon before.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 11:48:42 PM »
I can't remember how accurate this is but apparently another strike against the game was the fact some prize manufacturers didn't want their prizes being labeled as something being on 'clearance'.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 07:51:37 AM »

Why did the show suddenly decide they wanted to add so many new multi-prize games in the late 90s? Seems like they were relatively uncommon before.

That I noticed as well, especially three-prized games. For a very long time Most Expensive was the only one and got frequently played because of it. Maybe they wanted to add more variety...

Offline ChrisJ812

• Outside in Line
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 08:48:37 PM »
Its win-loss record was another reason they retired it

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 06:22:15 AM »
What if they gave the contestant the difference on a price tag & they had to match up the correct clearance amount with the price displayed?. Example: they have a $500 tag,$1000, & a $1500 tag & they match it to the clearance price displayed.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 07:26:37 AM »
I felt that as soon as a contestant said "Clearance sale?" like she was more confused than Check Game, I felt that this game wasn't going to last too long. The biggest flaw of course is that the outcome of the game is never determined on the final price reveal. If the ARP of a prize is greater than a sale price that hasn't been revealed, it's game over.

You could possibly include Line em Up in as well from this era, with a car thrown in. Then you had Buy or Sell, Swap Meet, and Barker's Markers earlier in the decade, with Make Your Move around just before the '90s officially began.

The "classic five" MP games are Most Expensive, Race Game, Danger Price, Poker Game, and Take Two (six if you include Golden Road, though that's considered a car game, even though it involves pricing three prizes). In fact, there was no MP game introduced between Take Two in 1978 and Credit Card in late 1987, and there hasn't been one released in the Drew era, with the last "pure" MP game introduced that's still active is One Wrong Price, the arguably More Or Less counts due to a somewhat similar feel to Buy or Sell, which is probably why that game probably won't be seen again, though I still prefer Credit Card to Shopping Spree since I've always liked its set (very representative of the '80s with the geometric parts and blue/white combo with neon) and the decent challenge.

Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 12:40:22 PM »
Oddly, Clearance Sale was often played for prizes that were more expensive than Eazy az 1-2-3. My jaw dropped one time when they played Clearance Sale for prizes that added up to over $10,000!

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 12:52:31 PM »
It also seems that easy az 123 was played more frequently than clearance sale