Author Topic: Announcers that fit their shows perfectly.  (Read 6660 times)

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
Announcers that fit their shows perfectly.
« on: January 20, 2019, 08:26:51 PM »
Johnny Olsen on TPIR is one example.

However there are quite a bit of announcers who fit their shows perfectly. Mel Brandt's work on The Doctors(soap opera) and G.E College Bowl, and Bill Wolff's work on Another World are two of the best examples.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: Announcers that fit their shows perfectly.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 08:43:15 PM »
Johnny Gilbert and Jeopardy. The perfect tone for such a cerebral game. And another pair would be Rod Roddy on PYL. Good fit there also, especially in the opening spiel: "Today, these three players are after biiiiig bucks, but they'll have to avoid the Whammy, as the play the most exciting game of their lives! From Television City in Hollywood, it's time to PRESS YOUR LUCK!!! And now, the star of Press Your Luck, Peter Tomarken!

And the rest is history, isn't it?
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 09:01:25 PM »
Gene Wood and Family Feud. Booming voice set the tone for that whole show.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 06:47:35 PM »
Charlie O'Donnell (I think that's the right spelling) announcing for many shows like TTD, TJW, and of course, Wheel Of Fortune.

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 09:08:56 PM »
My top 5 (this would be for soaps and game shows) would be Johnny O, Bill Wolff, Mel Brandt, Charlie O, and(i now this will come as a complete surprise, as he was before my time) Don Pardo.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 09:46:07 PM »
Johnny Olsen just had a golden voice, and it served him well long before Price ever came to his plate. As the old saying goes, "he could read the phone book, and have it sound good".
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 09:52:29 PM »
And Harvey made for the perfect complement to Marc Summers on Double Dare, his calmer inflections contrasted nicely with Marc's somewhat more animated style. 

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 10:35:38 PM »
Gene Wood and Family Feud. Booming voice set the tone for that whole show.

Gene's work on  Classic Concentration is pretty good too. I'll admit it, he was better than Wayne Howell in that role.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 06:16:27 AM »
From the two episodes floating around, Jack Clark on Eye Guess. He worked so well with Bill Cullen on the lighthearted game.

Howard Reig and the NBC Nightly News, and Bill Rice for ABC World News Tonight come to mind as well.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 12:30:41 AM »
Gene Wood is a great announcer. The way he always opened Family Feud with Richard Dawson and Ray Combs (I loved the Ray Combs edition a lot better because the "fast money" display had a slight change to the opening) and the addition of the Bullseye round) was very awesome.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 12:40:05 PM »
Not to derail the topic too much, but I hated everything they changed with the opening of Family Feud when Ray’s version came on.  They made a much more intricate looking “sampler” on the title card, and then turned it to the dot matrix side of the board much earlier than they did on Richard’s version, so that it was barely seen.  And Bullseye was a terrible addition to the game.

Back to the topic, I actually thought Shadoe Stevens was a good fit for Hollywood Squares, especially having him as a square.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 02:40:09 PM »
Johnny Jacobs on Treasure Hunt. Bob Barker even channeled him when he did David Letterman's Top Ten and stated what the actual retail value of him retirement watch.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 06:15:19 PM »
Not to derail the topic too much, but I hated everything they changed with the opening of Family Feud when Ray’s version came on.  They made a much more intricate looking “sampler” on the title card, and then turned it to the dot matrix side of the board much earlier than they did on Richard’s version, so that it was barely seen.  And Bullseye was a terrible addition to the game.

Back to the topic, I actually thought Shadoe Stevens was a good fit for Hollywood Squares, especially having him as a square.

Sorry, but i liked Kenny Williams better.

Offline Mark

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 07:58:18 AM »
Charlie O'Donnell on Wheel of Fortune

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 09:23:47 PM »
There are a ton of announcers(both game shows and soaps) that owuld fit the bill.

Dwight Weist on Search For Tomorrow, Johnny Jacobs on TJW, Alan Berns on Guiding Light, Dan McCullough on ATWT, Ken Roberts on Love of Life and Secret Storm are a few examples.