Author Topic: Silly post from Roger...  (Read 22239 times)

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Silly post from Roger...
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 11:40:46 PM »
Didn’t someone post here saying they have redone certain come on downs because the reaction wasn’t to their liking? That’s staged if you ask me.

I can’t comment on most of Roger’s post, since I haven’t watched in years.

Offline SonicWhammy

• In the Audience
  • Just Brian Sapinski... for now
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 12:47:15 AM »
Didn’t someone post here saying they have redone certain come on downs because the reaction wasn’t to their liking? That’s staged if you ask me.

I can’t comment on most of Roger’s post, since I haven’t watched in years.
I've heard the occasional story from certain fans in the hardcore GS community about being in the audience at certain shows today that in fact, once in a great while, did something like this where a moment did genuinely happen, it got a reaction, and the production staff felt it could be better, so they decided to recreate it. Perhaps this may in fact been one of those times. If it was, I'll admit I wish they wouldn't do it. Just let it happen. If it's really cool or funny, we'll react at home, don't worry.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 10:11:32 AM »
This whole thread is funny as hell! You're JUST beginning to realize that Roger wasn't the god you thought he was. You guys had put him on such a high pedestal for years which is one of the many reasons this site is the hell-hole it is. By the way,what the hell is with all the Rich Fields hate? What the hell did he do that pissed you guys off?

Rich wasn't a good announcer (See: A NEW CAAAAAAAAAAAAA!). It became even more obvious after George Gray was hired.

I've heard the occasional story from certain fans in the hardcore GS community about being in the audience at certain shows today that in fact, once in a great while, did something like this where a moment did genuinely happen, it got a reaction, and the production staff felt it could be better, so they decided to recreate it. Perhaps this may in fact been one of those times. If it was, I'll admit I wish they wouldn't do it. Just let it happen. If it's really cool or funny, we'll react at home, don't worry.

I feel like this goes back to my point about social media.

There's still plenty of unscripted moments on the show that are funny or enjoyable--GR or 3 Strikes wins, the $80,000 given away on 1 Showcase Showdown, the contestant tripping on the Most Expen$ive rug. But for every one of those, they need to find moments to help fill in the gaps. If there's a small moment on the show that the producers feel could be played up for the social media aspect, you can bet they're going to reshoot it to make it suitable for that purpose.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 10:38:46 AM »
You are a jackass.

Nope, just stating the truth. Ask a lot of die-hard game show fans, and they'll tell you the same thing. Rich even had problems with being incredibly over-enthusiastic. I believe he was told on multiple occasions by Roger to tone things down a bit. After Roger was fired, there was nobody to keep him in check, and you can tell watching episodes from that era.

Don't get me wrong--Rich obviously was a nice guy. I don't ever want to wish bad on anyone, and it's always a shame to see someone lose their job. At the same time, though, if they truly aren't good at their job, do they really deserve to keep it?

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 10:50:53 AM »
Stick on topic and don't feed trolls guys. Thanks.

Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 10:55:37 AM »
Nope, just stating the truth. Ask a lot of die-hard game show fans, and they'll tell you the same thing. Rich even had problems with being incredibly over-enthusiastic. I believe he was told on multiple occasions by Roger to tone things down a bit. After Roger was fired, there was nobody to keep him in check, and you can tell watching episodes from that era.

Don't get me wrong--Rich obviously was a nice guy. I don't ever want to wish bad on anyone, and it's always a shame to see someone lose their job. At the same time, though, if they truly aren't good at their job, do they really deserve to keep it?

I noticed Rich's style more in re-views after he left. He's not as good as i remembered.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 11:11:23 AM »
Roger has stated several times he pushed for Randy West.

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 11:20:32 AM »
Rich wasn't a good announcer (See: A NEW CAAAAAAAAAAAAA!). It became even more obvious after George Gray was hired.

And the sad thing is, they've watered down George so much over the last 5-6 years. His first couple seasons at the helm were absolutely stellar.

Roger has stated several times he pushed for Randy West.

I love Randy, but he's too sing-songy in his delivery IMO
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:25:11 AM by silverice878 »
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2019, 04:09:35 PM »
Yes, Roger is clearly bitter, even 11+ years later. But I wonder how easy it would be for us to simply move on if we lost our career of 36 years the way he apparently did. Roger was one of the people who helped make the show as successful as it is, and if I were in that position, after investing so much of my life to it, I'd struggle with it for a long time too.

Or perhaps he could instead focus on his great fortune in having had such longevity in a business that is notoriously transient, and always has been.  Roger worked on The Price is Right longer than Johnny Carson worked on The Tonight Show.  What an amazing run, and a credit to his intelligence and dependability in his roles as they existed under Goodson and Barker.  What is there to be bitter about?

I've known many people (including myself) who have lost jobs due to changes in the business environment around them that were beyond their ability to quickly adjust.  Those who eventually do adapt remain in their chosen field.  Those who don't... remain on the sidelines, complaining.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2019, 05:24:39 PM »
Or perhaps he could instead focus on his great fortune in having had such longevity in a business that is notoriously transient, and always has been.  Roger worked on The Price is Right longer than Johnny Carson worked on The Tonight Show.  What an amazing run, and a credit to his intelligence and dependability in his roles as they existed under Goodson and Barker.  What is there to be bitter about?

I've known many people (including myself) who have lost jobs due to changes in the business environment around them that were beyond their ability to quickly adjust.  Those who eventually do adapt remain in their chosen field.  Those who don't... remain on the sidelines, complaining.

Without knowing your age, I won't discuss comparisons of your perspective to Roger's. In this case, I don't think comparing anyone else's perspective to Roger's is fair.

I don't know anyone who could play a founding role in an institution like Price, get summarily fired over creative differences after 36 years on the job, who looks back and says "I'm thankful I was there as long as I was" without being bitter about being shown the door. I think it's unrealistic to expect Roger to feel any other way than he does.

Offline SonicWhammy

• In the Audience
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 10:48:03 PM »
It IS tough to push all the resentment aside, no matter how much there actually is. But we should be careful to just automatically paintbrush this. Still was surprising to hear it the way it was said, I guess. I don't know.

Getting some opinions on the whole financial thing on other boards, I get a feeling the truth about whether our Price is making a profit on the show alone is somewhere in the middle. Maybe it IS perhaps slightly in the red, given evidence from recent years like the grocery product plugs (and a number of big prizes') all disappearing. But the extra things like social media draws, the phone game, and franchising in other markets make up the difference. Without seeing the books ourselves, we'll never truly know.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 11:20:20 PM »
I'm glad someone raised the issue of the posters on his Facebook page as I think that's where most of the consternation in this thread should be directed rather than at Roger.    It is fantastic that Roger is so generous in answering questions on his Facebook page and I check it regularly to see what (if any) interesting new insights he might have posted about.   

It is a real shame that many of the questions/posts to his page are from a small handful of people who run and 'dob in' the current show to Roger for any tiny perceived issue that may come up within the show, and even worse is when they flat out misrepresent the show or mislead Roger on what actually happened, simply to suck up to him and tell him what they think he wants to hear.

What particularly annoyed me a few months ago was seeing someone post a couple of comments that were made on this forum to his page and asking for his own opinion/reaction to them.   Not only does this take conversation away from this forum, it is disrespectful to those forum members who assumed they were just posting to the community here.   If someone on this forum really wants to share their opinion with Roger on his page, it should be their own choice to do so.

With the above said, Roger is obviously entitled to run his page as he sees fit and have his own views on the show.   I disagree with a lot of his opinions on the current show, but at the same time it is still possible to respect him and his legacy and understand why he might feel that way.

Offline SonicWhammy

• In the Audience
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2019, 11:12:37 AM »
I'm glad someone raised the issue of the posters on his Facebook page as I think that's where most of the consternation in this thread should be directed rather than at Roger.    It is fantastic that Roger is so generous in answering questions on his Facebook page and I check it regularly to see what (if any) interesting new insights he might have posted about.   

It is a real shame that many of the questions/posts to his page are from a small handful of people who run and 'dob in' the current show to Roger for any tiny perceived issue that may come up within the show, and even worse is when they flat out misrepresent the show or mislead Roger on what actually happened, simply to suck up to him and tell him what they think he wants to hear.

With the above said, Roger is obviously entitled to run his page as he sees fit and have his own views on the show.   I disagree with a lot of his opinions on the current show, but at the same time it is still possible to respect him and his legacy and understand why he might feel that way.
I think all of that is fair. I think in the end, the reaction it was all getting here wasn't so much what he was saying but how he said it. Would he have done certain things differently from how the current regime is? Of course, we all think differently, so what do you expect. But the whole "it would be an embarrassment" line had us kind of going "whoa, that seems a little harsh", I think. Sometimes it really does come down to delivery.

Case in point: There's one last part of Roger's post that wasn't mentioned here:

"Giving a car away on contestants row was indeed a REAL DUMB THING for Price to do. It was a gimmick, pure and simple, which undermined the integrity of the show in ways that the current caretakers do not understand (and probably never will!)."

Again, saying that he simply wouldn't have done that during Dream Car Week (I forgot they did that once) is one thing, we would totally get that. But that he's hammering down hard on it and taking a swipe at Richards & co., it puts you off a bit.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2019, 11:22:21 AM »
Plus, he doesn't really explain how a car as an IUFB undermines the "integrity" of the show. As I've said before, the main purpose of TPiR is to attract viewers, which translate into revenue from ads and viral video clicks. To that end, a car IUFB as a one-time stunt served its purpose.

Offline SonicWhammy

• In the Audience
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2019, 11:40:26 AM »
Plus, he doesn't really explain how a car as an IUFB undermines the "integrity" of the show. As I've said before, the main purpose of TPiR is to attract viewers, which translate into revenue from ads and viral video clicks. To that end, a car IUFB as a one-time stunt served its purpose.
He's suggesting the traditional logic of working your way UP to winning a car by first winning the one-bid for something smaller, and it's being made it easier for the contestants in this moment by taking away that first hurdle that exists for everyone else. I get that logic completely, actually.

Likewise, the logic of going for the viral moment also makes sense. That's the hook of attracting audiences today, the whole "does this work in today's world" argument I've talked about before. Roger didn't come from that era, he still thinks the old school way. And there will be times when that still works, and times where it won't and needs to be modernized.

In the end, he's not right, and he's not wrong. But how strongly he chose his words in making his point is what's making him look like a Bitter Betty in this whole conversation.