Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 1/22/2019  (Read 11511 times)

Offline plinkoboard

• In Contestant's Row
Re: TPiR Recap - 1/22/2019
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 08:50:26 PM »
Only one other time, in 1992, has all six contestant came from the same podium. I believe it was the red one. Bob called the other three contestants "The worst bidders ever!"

Yes it was from the red podium.  Also to be exact the date was March 26.  That episode can be found on youtube.  Despite the weirdness and all the unfortunate losses, especially in Magic Number at least we weren't skunked as Kathy won Easy As 1-2-3.

Online mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 09:12:12 PM »
At times like this, I guess all that the other three contestants can do is laugh. One of them didn't make it out, but at least they've got two more for extra company. :D

And just like 1992, the first winner didn't "1-up" anybody.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 03:24:32 PM »
Did anybody else notice that Stack the Deck appeared to have gotten a whole new set? I'm not talking about the updated prize podium/flashing lights from earlier this season, but the game board seems wider than before and now it is painted yellow at the bottom.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 06:13:12 PM »
Did anybody else notice that Stack the Deck appeared to have gotten a whole new set? I'm not talking about the updated prize podium/flashing lights from earlier this season, but the game board seems wider than before and now it is painted yellow at the bottom.
It looks like they simply painted the bottom corners of the face of the game board from black to yellow. I don’t notice any other differences.

Offline Champ2399

• Outside in Line
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 08:15:15 PM »
If we can have pet adoption week, we can definitely promote the cause for preventing further climate change.  It's NOT a political issue.  Should have at least a show or an entire week devoted to climate change. 

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 09:20:08 PM »
If we can have pet adoption week, we can definitely promote the cause for preventing further climate change.  It's NOT a political issue.  Should have at least a show or an entire week devoted to climate change.

STRONGLY disagree. Pet adoption is one thing--it's something pretty much everyone can agree is a great cause, and moreover has been part of the show's identity for decades.

Climate change, on the other hand, is an EXTREMELY (yes I know all caps is shouting, forgive my poor netiquette) divisive issue, and has no place on something that for so many years has been harmless, non-political family fun. I can think of no better way to drive off half the viewers than taking sides on what is most definitely a political issue.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 12:03:53 AM »
I'd like to humbly suggest that if you can't see the problem with the show advocating a cause because "it's not political", you're really saying that "it's ok for the show to support this as long as it's important to ME". So for the sake of argument try replacing it with some divisive "non-political" issue you DON'T personally support.

Quote from: sake of argument
If we can have pet adoption week, we can definitely promote the cause for preventing further vaccination-caused autism.  It's NOT a political issue. Should have at least a show where the cash value of everything won is matched for Jenny McCarthy's charity.

It's been done, and it was awful then too. The show rightly caught hell for it and I would hope they learned their lesson.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 02:08:39 AM »
I think the closest the show got political during Bob's era was a playing of Trader Bob in which one of the women on the staff wrote on a writing pad that was a small prize support for the E.R.A. Bob quickly crumpled the paper up and said that we were all male chauvinist pigs here.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 02:28:26 AM »
Interesting, is there video of this somewhere?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 03:49:47 AM »
It was on YouTube. I'll see if I can dig up the link.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won