Author Topic: 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame  (Read 2238 times)

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
2019 Baseball Hall of Fame
« on: January 23, 2019, 12:00:59 AM »
Mariano Rivera, Roy Halladay, Mike Mussina, and Edgar Martinez make the Hall of Fame. Martinez is the one I feel does not belong. For one, he doesn’t have any of the milestones. He never won a championship. He was never dominant. Most of all, for most of his career, he didn’t play a position. He’s just like Harold Baines- good hitter, sometimes great, but never dominant, and did not play the field. Electing these two waters down the Hall.

The steroid guys (Clemens, Bonds), got an uptick in votes but did not make it in.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
Re: 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 12:13:16 AM »
Mariano Rivera, Roy Halladay, Mike Mussina, and Edgar Martinez make the Hall of Fame. Martinez is the one I feel does not belong. For one, he doesn’t have any of the milestones. He never won a championship. He was never dominant. Most of all, for most of his career, he didn’t play a position. He’s just like Harold Baines- good hitter, sometimes great, but never dominant, and did not play the field. Electing these two waters down the Hall.

The steroid guys (Clemens, Bonds), got an uptick in votes but did not make it in.

Never dominant? I guess 7 all-star games, 5 silver-sluggers, and two batting titles doesn't mean anything. Yes he never won a championship, but neither did Mussina nor Halladay. He was probably the most feared DH in the game before David Ortiz.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 12:24:14 AM »
Martinez didn’t play a position most of his career. Silver slugger for DH does not count either. All Star appearances don’t weigh too much in my eyes since most of them are popularity contests (fan voting), and actual merit is secondary.

I believe Ortiz did PEDs so he shouldn’t be in the Hall. That, and he didn’t play a position most of his career either.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 07:32:10 AM »
I find it impossible to argue against the steroid users when Mike Piazza, who admitted to taking a now-banned PED, has already been elected.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 04:07:12 PM »
Mike Mussina is the only real surprise of the four to me, he has a great winning percentage but I never thought he was particularly dominant and he never won a Cy Young.

Edgar Martinez was primarly a DH yes but he's still one of the best hitters of the game. I agree Harold Baines is quite questionable, but Edgar was much better.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 06:00:16 PM »
I would have voted for Larry Walker over Martinez if I were forced to choose. Better hitter, and actually played the field (fairly well actually). Still, I think Walker is not a Hall of Famer either.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 11:51:26 AM »
I would vote for Larry Walker as well, along with Curt Schilling. Walker was one of the most dominant hitters I remember seeing and Schilling is an all-time clutch pitcher. Schilling got a little over 60% this year so with Derek Jeter being the only lock next year I do think it's possible he gets in with him.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 12:14:49 PM »
Noteworthy of this year's class is the fact that Mariano Rivera became the first player ever to be elected unanimously... to what should be the surprise of no one.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.