Author Topic: Could TPIR integrate classic clips or photos?  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
Could TPIR integrate classic clips or photos?
« on: January 24, 2019, 06:38:04 PM »
After watching several episodes of LMaD lately, I've noticed they sometimes reference and integrate old pictures of Monty's show as part of a game. (ie: Carol Merrill modeling a refrigerator from 1971). I'd love to see them do this with TPIR but I wonder if it would pose issues with lawsuits and/or money paid to models like Janice/Diane/Holly.  There's so much history with Price, it would be great to acknowledge it every now and then. Also, not sure how they could integrate pics or clips with the current pricing games.  You guys have any thoughts about this?
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: Could TPIR integrate classic clips or photos?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 06:42:56 PM »
It would be nice to see, but I suspect time constraints are one reason we don't aside from former contestants showing up again.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 07:01:38 PM »
If the show were in primetime, I could easily see doing a "photo of the day" coming back from break, say, before the showcase ARP reveals, or maybe even after the 4th game like they used to with the mid-show bumper.

In daytime, the most I could see them doing would be using old clips or photos when they show TVs or computers. The time is already spoken for (if you'll pardon the pun) with the prize descriptions, so it wouldn't cost them any airtime, and it would be a nice and subtle touch (admittedly, something that's missing from most of the other things they do these days).

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 11:15:58 PM »
In daytime, the most I could see them doing would be using old clips or photos when they show TVs or computers. The time is already spoken for (if you'll pardon the pun) with the prize descriptions, so it wouldn't cost them any airtime, and it would be a nice and subtle touch (admittedly, something that's missing from most of the other things they do these days).
I really like that idea. It would be great especially for Thursday shows as a Throwback Thursday. I've also thought it would be fun if they redid the Now or Then set to include monitors that play a clip of the Then products in the show that the Then date came from.

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 12:11:18 AM »
I really like that idea. It would be great especially for Thursday shows as a Throwback Thursday. I've also thought it would be fun if they redid the Now or Then set to include monitors that play a clip of the Then products in the show that the Then date came from.

Yes!  I like it... Somehow integrating into Now or Then would be cool and appropriate for the game.
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 09:42:32 PM »
Usually, classic clips or photos were reserved for special occasions or episodes.  (Bob's 50 years in television, etc).  They played classic clips going into each commercial during the first week of shows of the 20th season.  I also seem to recall that the producers integrated many small updates or changes either within or very close to the 20th Anniversary Week shows.

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 10:08:06 PM »
They do occasionally have some classic clips or shots nowadays, usually reserved for if a contestant has been on the show previously. It's nice of them to dig through the archives and find the clips to integrate into the episode.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 07:27:16 AM »
Since we've got Now or Then as a nostalgia game, we could simply bring back The Price Was Right, but under a completely different premise, as a quickie game since there hasn't been a good one in awhile. A clip of a prize from a classic show would be provided along with the year, and then three prices would be presented, one of them the correct price from that year. If the contestant selects the price that's correct, the contestant wins the prize. Of course, certain prizes like technology couldn't be offered, but it could easily work with trips, furniture (with equivalent modern models by the same manufacturer), and even some service prizes. Even a car could possibly work, but a special announcement would be made by George that the equivalent model from the current year would be awarded. It helps that a lot of cars have had nice long runs, too, but a Chevy Spark could be a Geo Metro or a Chevy Aveo as the "classic" prize since they are direct predecessors in the same class.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:30:14 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/