Author Topic: What Pricing Game does everyone find easy except you?  (Read 8604 times)

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
What Pricing Game does everyone find easy except you?
« on: January 29, 2019, 02:55:19 PM »
For me it's Grand Game.   A lot of people seem to find this easy.  Not so much for me.   Although, grocery products is not my strong suit.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: What Pricing Game does everyone find easy except you?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 05:46:08 PM »
Ten Chances. Half the time, the zero rule does me in.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 05:53:49 PM »
Now Or Then.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline ChrisJ812

• Outside in Line
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 09:31:34 PM »
Grocery Game

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 09:46:10 PM »
For me, it's Grand Game.  There's always one product that appears to be well below the target price, but is then deceivingly expensive.  It's also the only game where you can wipe out and still win $1.00 more than someone who picks three of the four products that are under the target price correct, then picks a higher priced item on the final selection.  I know the bailout option is still there, but opt outs seemed more common back in the '80s when $1,000.00 could buy you a decent used car.  Today, that same amount won't buy some phones. 

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 09:58:44 PM »
The comicial answer here, of course, as Barker liked to point out with every playing, Check Game.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 10:27:48 PM »
When it was in the rotation, Hit Me. It took me YEARS Not so much finding the products with the Ace and the 10, but understanding the multiplication aspect of the other products. I used to watch the show with co-workers at lunch, and that was the only game in the rotation everyone had a problem understanding no matter how many time I explained it to them.

Poker Game was another because Bob was always telling contestants to find a price that had a lot of nines...which made no sense to me when I was young in the late 70s/early 80s when 9s were rarely a factor in that game! That, and a product that cost $555 might be much more useful than one that is $995.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:30:15 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 12:40:53 AM »
Any car game (Cover Up, Lucky Seven, Line Em Up, etc.) when the difference between success and failure comes down to the tens/ones digit of a car.

Lol please, I'm playing "guess my favorite number" at that point.

(This is one thing I really like about Stack the Deck--when it's set up properly, a good player can make the need to know those digits irrelevant.)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 01:08:37 AM »
When it was in the rotation, Hit Me. It took me YEARS Not so much finding the products with the Ace and the 10, but understanding the multiplication aspect of the other products. I used to watch the show with co-workers at lunch, and that was the only game in the rotation everyone had a problem understanding no matter how many time I explained it to them.

Poker Game was another because Bob was always telling contestants to find a price that had a lot of nines...which made no sense to me when I was young in the late 70s/early 80s when 9s were rarely a factor in that game! That, and a product that cost $555 might be much more useful than one that is $995.

Goodness gracious, Hit Me. That's one of Bob's worst game explanations--as a kid it took me FOREVER to figure that game out.

Bob's explanation always went like this:

Bob: "Now, (contestant), Have you ever played blackjack before?"
Contestant: "Yes!"
Bob: "OK, cut these cards...here's the house card. The house hits at 16 and stays on 17..."

Then the game would continue and I'd have NO IDEA what was going on.

Hey Bob, what if some of us at home haven't played blackjack before? What in the world is the goal here? What's a "hole" card--why are some cards facedown and some faceup? Why is Bob calling that card a "ten" when it's clearly a king? Why is the ace being treated as 11 when it was attached to the product that was the right price?  Who decided the house stands at 17, why would the house stop drawing when they know I'm beating them? Shouldn't they get another draw to try to beat you without going over like in the Big Wheel?

And that's before getting into the multiplication aspect...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:12:47 AM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 01:29:19 AM »

Quite a few times, the best possible hand ended up being 4 zeroes.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 02:12:49 AM »
Ten Chances. Half the time, the zero rule does me in.

Huh?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 09:25:27 AM »
Not me, but Magic # seems to have been a major one for the past lot of contestants, who've been seemingly trying to set the Magic # to the price of the cheaper prize instead of trying to set it somewhere even remotely close to the middle.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 09:39:01 AM »
Quite a few times, the best possible hand ended up being 4 zeroes.

Then, of course, another problem with Bob's hint was how on Earth was anyone supposed to know what prize had a lot of 9s in it? You could have picked something you thought was $999 and it ended up being $980. Don't even ask how someone knew if something was $499 or $599. To me, that game was more blind guessing than any real pricng strategy.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 10:15:30 AM »
Growing up in the 90s, I always found Buy Or Sell to be very confusing when it was played on our Australian version.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 05:37:54 PM »
They should bring back Poker Game in a Texas Hold 'Em format.  You pick one prize for yourself and one for the house, while the other two prizes make up the community cards.  It will never happen because there are many people out there who don't understand five card draw poker let alone "Hold 'Em"