Author Topic: Is the Set too Colorful and Clashing Now?  (Read 7201 times)

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
Re: Is the Set too Colorful and Clashing Now?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 05:41:59 PM »
There's also the matter of the difference in the need and how to grab attention in today's world being different from when Bob hosted. Yes Bob was enough of a draw on his own, but it's not just because of him not being there that they had to radically change the set and certain way things are revealed. Today's world has much more things competing for our attention then when Bob hosted, and high-tech sets and graphics are the modern way to hold attention.

I've heard this argument before. The thing is, if we really accept the fact that there's too much grabbing for our attention, we ought to embrace even the few minutes per hour that a less "noisy" set would provide without the constant animation.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 05:50:57 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I grew up in a time when things didn't need to be as "noisy" and I dislike when it goes to excess and gets too gimmicky. It's just what it is.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 05:59:50 PM »
I've heard this argument before. The thing is, if we really accept the fact that there's too much grabbing for our attention, we ought to embrace even the few minutes per hour that a less "noisy" set would provide without the constant animation.

Remember something else--they're not just thinking about you, the tuned-in viewer whose attention they already have. They're also thinking about the casual channel-surfer, and the 599 other channels they have to compete with. Something that looks bright and colorful and flashy is going to grab your attention and, at the very least, interest you enough to stop for a few minutes you otherwise wouldn't have.

Then there's also the Millennial question. This generation is used to an information overload, resulting in an ever-shortening attention span. The overload of light and color and animation is a way to directly market to that segment of the viewing audience--give them enough constant stimulation that they won't need to look elsewhere.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 10:11:20 PM »
Remember something else--they're not just thinking about you, the tuned-in viewer whose attention they already have. They're also thinking about the casual channel-surfer, and the 599 other channels they have to compete with. Something that looks bright and colorful and flashy is going to grab your attention and, at the very least, interest you enough to stop for a few minutes you otherwise wouldn't have.

That's a bit of a reach. The animation in the monitors isn't flashy enough to stop someone flipping through channels. It IS annoying enough to aggravate someone who's stopped long enough to watch and finds the backdrop distracting.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 11:01:15 PM »
That's a bit of a reach. The animation in the monitors isn't flashy enough to stop someone flipping through channels. It IS annoying enough to aggravate someone who's stopped long enough to watch and finds the backdrop distracting.

Forgive me, I should've been more specific. I wasn't thinking about animation when I was talking about grabbing channel-surfers (if I made that implication previously I misspoke and I apologize for the confusion). What I should've said was the fact that the screens are bright and colorful, just like the rest of the things that light up, but they can also change for special events and show specialized graphics or logos. However distracting I think it comes off sometimes, I do like that they at least make an effort to customize their graphics when an opportunity presents itself, and as someone who does that kind of thing myself, I'm always curious to see what's next.

I won't dispute your point about them being annoying once you tune in though. The older LED wall that they used to have when the new turntable was built was a much better choice, since it stopped flashing and changing color once the "action" was done (like a player coming up on stage or whatnot). I think having animated graphics on all those screens all the time is like the new wall saying "I'M HERE, LOOK AT ME" during the whole act. The regular animation with the dollar signs at the edges isn't quite so bad, but some of the ones they've had over the last couple of seasons have been way too much. (Yes, I think it doesn't bother younger Millennials as much as it does me.)

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 08:34:14 AM »
I like the current set with the exception of video panels on the home base. As others have mentioned, they are distracting and in my opinion unnecessary.  There is already enough light and color going on in that room without video screens showing motion on that part of the stage.  I prefer the previous home base with colored squares.    No problem with video screens in general... just not there.
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline brettreilly

• In the Audience
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 03:35:42 PM »
I like the current set with the exception of video panels on the home base. As others have mentioned, they are distracting and in my opinion unnecessary.  There is already enough light and color going on in that room without video screens showing motion on that part of the stage.  I prefer the previous home base with colored squares.    No problem with video screens in general... just not there.

Agree. I personally just miss the S35 set but I know that with HD things had to be updated...