Author Topic: Buzzr to Air Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour Episodes on February 17th  (Read 20820 times)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Buzzr to Air Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour Episodes on February 17th
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 11:57:48 AM »
Watching yesterday I liked the show, Gene Rayburn was great as always with Match Game and Jon Bauman did pretty well with the Hollywood Squares portion. I thought the hour format made it too long though and the set looked too cheap except for the giant video board and like it was designed by a group of elementary school students using blocks from math class.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »
Bauman was as horrendous as I remembered. He’s like a robot, saying the same lines with no variation. He also looked very uncomfortable up there. Goodson could have chosen far better.

Hollywood Squares was boring. Almost zero funny lines, multiple choice, and default wins do not make a good game. Throw in Bauman’s awful hosting, and it 20+ minutes being wasted.

Subpar group of celebrities, especially Skip Stephenson. I had to look up who Twyla Littleton was; clearly just there for eye candy.

Wait until soap opera week! It gets worse!

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 01:47:00 PM »
Goodson could have chosen far better.
And probably would've, if it had been his choice to make. AFAIK, Bauman was entirely NBC's doing. If Goodson had gotten his way, Gene would've hosted the entire hour by himself.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »
Bauman was as horrendous as I remembered. He’s like a robot, saying the same lines with no variation. He also looked very uncomfortable up there. Goodson could have chosen far better.

Hollywood Squares was boring. Almost zero funny lines, multiple choice, and default wins do not make a good game. Throw in Bauman’s awful hosting, and it 20+ minutes being wasted.

Subpar group of celebrities, especially Skip Stephenson. I had to look up who Twyla Littleton was; clearly just there for eye candy.

Wait until soap opera week! It gets worse!

At least Skip had been on Match Game before, was on the final syndicated week in fact. As a sidenote, episode 6 (or the episode following the last yesterday) is on YouTube (though the quality is really bad making it tough to watch as a result), and features a young Arsenio Hall among others. Charles Nelson Reilly too I think for HS portion. So there's that to look forward to anyway when they show more later on.

I wonder if Bauman got better later with the robot thing. One thing that irked me to this end incidentally is EVERY TIME he took over the show for HS, he'd throw to break the exact same way "And we'll be right back". It's a small thing maybe but kinda bugged me. He coulda deviated a little bit from it at least once.

Also......was I hearing things, or did the producers make a MAJOR mistake in the last episode on the Bonanza question? I mighta heard it wrong, but I KNOW Bonanza had more episodes than All in the Family and The Beverly Hillbillies did by a wide margin. I asked Jon actually on Twitter about it after the fact, and if it was ever corrected if indeed I am right on this, and he didn't remember. But that really stood out to me as a big error by the writing staff again if I heard the question right (which I admit I may not have as I was sorta half listening half not at points in the marathon while chatting with some friends at same time).

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 03:33:26 PM »
I didn't find Bauman's hosting to be that bad personally. He was pretty repetitive with his lines but I thought he was alright overall especially with the contestant and celebrity interaction. The question writing could've been better and they kept gags going for too long after some questions. It was also weird that they went to break right after introducing the extra celebrities and making the host switch for the Hollywood Squares portion.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 03:38:47 PM »
He didn’t get better. Later on, he also constantly reminded the contestant what symbol they were playing.

I hated Skip on that final week of Match Game as well. Just a very obnoxious person.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 04:59:30 PM »
I feel like Jon Bauman is getting an unfair shake here...this format of Squares is, simply put, terrible. Boring multiple choice questions, no written zingers, no reining in of comedians, and a scoring format that easily lets one contestant run away with the game, AND win without doing anything-he has to fit in as many questions as possible; changing the entire essence of squares.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2019, 07:12:12 PM »
I feel like Jon Bauman is getting an unfair shake here...this format of Squares is, simply put, terrible. Boring multiple choice questions, no written zingers, no reining in of comedians, and a scoring format that easily lets one contestant run away with the game, AND win without doing anything-he has to fit in as many questions as possible; changing the entire essence of squares.

Those are all problems and major reasons why Squares was terrible. Bauman however made it worse. A competent host could have squeezed some sort of life out of that. Rayburn would have done a much better job with the klunky format. Even a Jack Narz or Art James type would have been an upgrade over robotic, uncomfortable Bauman.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 09:19:42 PM »
Let's be honest, Peter Marshall himself would not have made this afterthough format work. And really, at least Bauman was likeable and acted like he wanted to be there. As I said before, maybe Gene the veteran could have been little more of a mentor to Jon instead of just bashing him because Bauman was a bright guy and he I think he would have tried to improve himself.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 09:44:26 PM »
And probably would've, if it had been his choice to make. AFAIK, Bauman was entirely NBC's doing. If Goodson had gotten his way, Gene would've hosted the entire hour by himself.

In other words, Goodson basically wanted an hour-long version of Match Game. Gene hosting Hollywood Squares might have undercut the Squares portion of it even more than it already was.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2019, 10:56:53 PM »
Let's be honest, Peter Marshall himself would not have made this afterthough format work. And really, at least Bauman was likeable and acted like he wanted to be there. As I said before, maybe Gene the veteran could have been little more of a mentor to Jon instead of just bashing him because Bauman was a bright guy and he I think he would have tried to improve himself.

Can i also say that Gene, bless his heart, looked downright pained to be there?

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2019, 05:00:05 AM »
Can i also say that Gene, bless his heart, looked downright pained to be there?

You may, and you'd be right.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2019, 07:32:50 AM »
To make it better, I would have shortened MG two just two rounds and allow for both the Super Match (just up for $10,000, no special multipliers with just six stars) and HS's "Pick a star for a prize" bonus round, where then I would have introduced the multiple choice question, similar to how it was on the first three seasons of the Bergeron version while having the multiplier cards showing stuff ranging from money, trips, rooms of furniture, jewelry, to a new car. I'd keep the $25 for correct answers, but of course force a contestant to answer correctly to win a round. And there's another thing that could have returned as well: The Secret Square. That way, not only HS is back to a much more respectable format, it would also allow for more equal time between the MG and HS segments, which was more 40/20 as opposed to 30/30. If it was called "Match Game FEATURING Hollywood Squares Hour", then it would make better sense. Too bad John Davidson wasn't available a few years early for the HS portion, even if he had been a square many times in the original version by this point.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 07:37:46 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2019, 12:07:53 PM »
I've frankly never cared for John Davidson's hosting. He always came across to me as a phony, stereotypical game show host, to the point that I thought he was the real-life incarnation of the Mr. Game Show toy from the 80s.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2019, 03:55:10 PM »
Davidson was bad, especially when he did Pyramid. He looked so clueless. I’d still rank him above Bauman when it comes to hosting Squares.

Goodson have Bauman tips on how to improve, but apparently he either couldn’t do it, did not care, or just didn’t listen.

Peter Marshall would have made the show more watchable, and squeezed some sort of life out of a bad format.