Author Topic: Buzzr to Air Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour Episodes on February 17th  (Read 20826 times)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: Buzzr to Air Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour Episodes on February 17th
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2019, 04:11:37 PM »
Davidson was bad, especially when he did Pyramid. He looked so clueless.

Well, at least we agree on something! 😄

As for everything else, we'll just have to agree to disagree (Now THAT'S paraphrasing from the Hollywood Squares!) and move on.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 04:30:17 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2019, 04:08:40 AM »
Peter Marshall would have made the show more watchable, and squeezed some sort of life out of a bad format.

Oh, no doubt about it-- it's for good reason why Peter was always billed as "the master of The Hollywood Squares" when he was in there from 1966-81 on NBC and in syndie. Just as Wink Martindale has been the TTD expert (and remains so to this day, even to the point that he's done several home games of TTD recently which have been posted on YouTube), Peter has been the HS expert (as I say, for very good reason).

Offline Gerald78

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2019, 11:55:21 AM »
Remind me why Mr. Marshall didn't host this version?  I think I read somewhere that he declined the offer?

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2019, 01:42:50 PM »
Reportedly, Peter Marshall was very interested in hosting the Squares half, but someone at NBC saw potential in Bauman and picked him for the job.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2019, 03:21:41 PM »
I'm bumping this topic because Buzzr announced that Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour will arrive on their schedule on September 30, 2019.  They will air episodes on weeknights at 10:00 PM Eastern, followed by airings on Saturdays at 8:00 PM Eastern and Sundays at 3:00 PM Eastern (I'm not sure if these are reruns of the weeknight airings).
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2019, 03:43:34 PM »
I'm bumping this topic because Buzzr announced that Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour will arrive on their schedule on September 30, 2019.  They will air episodes on weeknights at 10:00 PM Eastern, followed by airings on Saturdays at 8:00 PM Eastern and Sundays at 3:00 PM Eastern (I'm not sure if these are reruns of the weeknight airings).

Considering what they've done with Classic Concentration, I imagine reruns, especially given they have a MUCH smaller pool of episodes to work from than the former show. Wouldn't make much sense to air 7 new ones a week. You'd burn through them all fast that way.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2019, 04:21:53 PM »

Sorry to divert this, but to some game show fans (myself included), this might be the bigger news----

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2019, 07:56:15 PM »
This is great!  The video clip didn't say a time.  Has Buzzr set an airtime for it?

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2019, 07:58:47 PM »
Split Second will be on weekdays at 10:00 AM eastern, with repeat airings on Sundays at 10:00 PM and 10:30 PM Eastern.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2019, 08:01:22 PM »
Split Second will be on weekdays at 10:00 AM eastern, with repeat airings on Sundays at 10:00 PM and 10:30 PM Eastern.

With these shorter series, does it seem like a mistake to anyone else to air them during the week vs. on weekends given how fast they'll be burned through this way and even moreso if they only got a select amount of them? I sorta feel it is,

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2019, 09:01:40 PM »
I see your logic.  But at least we are getting them, which is better than not. 

Online Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2019, 12:20:07 AM »
With these shorter series, does it seem like a mistake to anyone else to air them during the week vs. on weekends given how fast they'll be burned through this way and even moreso if they only got a select amount of them? I sorta feel it is,

Not necessarily. The Family Channel reran the 1986-1987 "Spilt Second" series for several years even though it lasted just a year in syndication. There's still play-along value and the challenge of recall if you've seen a given episode before. (Sort of what I saw once on a rules sheet for a board game I once had ... once the supply of questions were exhausted, "just play them again and see how well you do the next time around.")

Brian

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2019, 01:24:41 AM »
Not necessarily. The Family Channel reran the 1986-1987 "Spilt Second" series for several years even though it lasted just a year in syndication. There's still play-along value and the challenge of recall if you've seen a given episode before. (Sort of what I saw once on a rules sheet for a board game I once had ... once the supply of questions were exhausted, "just play them again and see how well you do the next time around.")

Brian

Interesting theory....never thought of it quite that way, but it makes sense....especially for stuff like Split Second or Jeopardy being trivia heavy.

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2019, 11:07:52 AM »
SuperMatch93 said on Game Show Forum that the tapes for the original Split Second may have been reused to record Password and Family Feud. I believe it depends on the network and production company. Chances are, they reused them to record Let's Make a Deal, and then subsequently, most of those were tossed out.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2019, 02:40:53 PM »
Quite honestly, I've seen very little of LMAD and Split Second, considering it was before my time, so this will be a real treat for me.

Also willing to wager that the reason these are coming (Split Second) or returning (LMAD) to Buzzr is because of the two-year anniversary of Monty Hall's passing on September 30, 2017.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!