Author Topic: How would you have properly ended Press Your Luck?  (Read 2324 times)

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
How would you have properly ended Press Your Luck?
« on: February 12, 2019, 08:32:54 AM »
In the '80s, most network game shows would end their runs with a proper finale, often with awwws and tears as the host wonders if this really is the end, and in many cases is. Some would be more remarkable than others, such as Sale of the Century, Super Password, Tattletales, and the last Dawson Feud, while others like the $25,000 Pyramid, Card Sharks (both versions), Body Language, and Wordplay at least provide enough of a notice that it truly was the end. But Press Your Luck, unlike most network game shows of its era, never received a proper finale, ending with just Peter's standard "thanks for Pressing Your Luck" spiel. That said, it the series could had gone out on an entertaining note by having things like having bigger bucks on the board to compensate for a champ who won't return and more importantly, a final Whammy animation where he comes and turns off the Big Board, meaning that it's no longer possible to "Press Your Luck". And other thoughts on how you would have ended Press Your Luck's run?
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: How would you have properly ended Press Your Luck?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 11:12:41 AM »
The one thing that runs through my mind is having someone come out in a Whammy suit, hand Peter flowers as a farewell gift, and walk off camera waving while the audio from the cruise ship 4 Whammy Whammy plays, making it clear this is the end. 

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 11:18:05 AM »
Not sure how I would've ended the show, but if memory serves, PYL's associate director Rick Stern mentioned on Facebook that, if they'd known the end was coming, they'd have tried to put together a clip montage of some of the biggest wins and the most memorable Whammy hits (basically, a longer version of what we see at the start of each show).

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 09:59:02 PM »
The same way they ended Hit Man: A regulation episode, but with a massively sarcastic contestant plug from Rod.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 12:43:30 AM »
Didn't by the true end of the series, the majority of affiliates had already dropped PYL from their programming?  Some locals dumped it even as early as January of '86 when Bob Eubanks' Card Sharks debuted, while others moved it to late night time slots (to get killed off in the ratings by Johnny Carson).

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 08:52:34 AM »
The one thing that runs through my mind is having someone come out in a Whammy suit, hand Peter flowers as a farewell gift, and walk off camera waving while the audio from the cruise ship 4 Whammy Whammy plays, making it clear this is the end.

The thought of this made me get emotional for whatever reason.

Offline Davidnumber

• In the Audience
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 10:02:02 AM »
Have someone dress up as a whammy and start taking a sledgehammer to the set as Peter Tomarkken and Rod Roddy tap dance out the studio.
😆