Author Topic: Question about how contestant order is selected  (Read 3790 times)

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
Question about how contestant order is selected
« on: January 13, 2019, 02:17:56 PM »
So I know that the 9 people who are picked to play are chosen based on attitude, excitability, etc, but how is the order of those contestants chosen?  What determines WHEN each person is called down?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:20:59 PM by GameShowFan9001 »

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Question about how contestant order is selected
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 05:07:22 PM »
If Bonkers/Race Game/Time is Money is to be played that day, any elderly and disabled contestants that may be called are saved for after that game.

If the first game/IUFB is exclusively played for a feminine prize like jewelry or 365 pairs of shoes, they usually call women first and save men for after the first four.

Beyond that we don't know. Producers keep parts of the selection process secret for good reason. They want to surprise their contestants, and if we knew all their tricks, part of that surprise would be gone.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 05:17:30 PM »
If Bonkers/Race Game/Time is Money is to be played that day, any elderly and disabled contestants that may be called are saved for after that game.

If the first game/IUFB is exclusively played for a feminine prize like jewelry or 365 pairs of shoes, they usually call women first and save men for after the first four.

Beyond that we don't know. Producers keep parts of the selection process secret for good reason. They want to surprise their contestants, and if we knew all their tricks, part of that surprise would be gone.
Really? I didn't know that there was any predetermined order to it.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 10:47:54 PM »
Do they call the contestants they like the most as part of the first four, and the one that made it out of a group of "borderline" audience members as the final contestant called down?

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 04:48:11 AM »
Do they call the contestants they like the most as part of the first four, and the one that made it out of a group of "borderline" audience members as the final contestant called down?

It seemed that when Bob was around they would often call some of the more interesting or colorful contestants after the First Four, especially second, so Bob could get a chance to interview them and show how colorful they were.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 02:54:19 PM »
My guess is that they would save the more interesting contestants for immediately before or after a quickie so that Bob could have fun with them and not have to worry about time restraints.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 01:31:24 PM »
It seemed that when Bob was around they would often call some of the more interesting or colorful contestants after the First Four, especially second, so Bob could get a chance to interview them and show how colorful they were.

Good observation! Having been fortunate to see how the full selection process works, I can say that the Producers were very conscious of the exact order of the contestants being called down. Without divulging anything which I would consider confidential, the process generally provided for the “best” contestants to be included in the First Four; to allow the most potential for them to make it on stage, which would give Bob a great opportunity to interact with them. The fifth contestant was often someone who was the “best of the rest,” and since they are the first contestant to have their own single call down, Bob would know that that contestant might have something interesting to talk about. From there, contestants 6-9 were just placed based on the consensus of the Producer selecting the contestants with input of his assistants.
John

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 09:57:47 PM »
Some of those people were more entertaining.  Once there was an older man named Angelo who was called down from the far camera right corner of the audience (the first row back from the judges' table and slate that isn't designated for contestants who've already been on stage) and had a five minute chat with Bob about coming to the show from Italy for his 85th birthday.  I believe this happened sometime in 1984 as it was during the brief time when the borders on the bid readouts on contestants row were bright pink.  I also wonder if producers seeked out contestants who would be most likely to bypass contestants' row and come right up on stage to talk to Bob to come on down after the first four.  I remember once a grandmotherly woman was called and got on stage by means of a set of steps unseen on camera to get on stage.  Bob remarked something like, "You know what.  She saw plenty of contestants try coming up these steps to come up here, (pointing to the most commonly used steps to the camera right of contestants' row), but she figured if I come up those steps (pointing to the steps she came up) he'll never know and he'll let me play a pricing game."  They conversed for a few minutes and had a few laughs before Bob and Rod guided her down to her spot in contestants' row.