Author Topic: Pricing game flops  (Read 15793 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
Re: Pricing game flops
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2019, 12:16:26 PM »
Don't you mean Balance Game 84 and NOT Bullseye 84?

I meant Balance 84. Pardon my brain.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2019, 12:52:11 PM »
Don't you mean Balance Game 84 and NOT Bullseye 84?

I'm going to have to ask you NOT to capitalize the word "NOT" in the future.  It's rude, shouty, and NOT necessary.  I have to imagine anyone on the receiving end is NOT inclined to listen to you.

Also, your signature does NOT need 104 exclamation points.  If I find you doing this again, I can assure you it will NOT have 103 of them anymore.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2019, 09:31:57 PM »
On the Spot was pretty lousy - horrible colors, bad presentation, difficult to watch contestants try to play it.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 05:35:44 AM »
When I remember “on the spot” I’m always reminded of the time they played it and the contestant asked what was the brand of the coffee maker and Rod let out a pretty annoyed sigh which I guess was edited out in the summer rerun.

Why would it seem to have bothered Rod to clarify what brand of coffee maker was in that playing?

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 07:42:31 AM »
What was the final pricing game to be retired during barkers tenure as host

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2019, 07:46:10 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, it was Poker Game, on May 10, 2007. Before that was Joker, on March 5.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2019, 08:24:52 AM »
I think it was Hit Me. Yes joker and poker game were last played during season 35 but unlike Hit Me it wasnt removed from the rotation until after drew carey became host

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 09:52:33 AM »
But how do we know when a pricing game has officially been retired? In most cases, we just stop seeing it, and then we assume it has been axed. When I first joined G-R.net, I asked the very same question. One of the responses was that if you go through a whole season without seeing the game, you can then assume it's gone. (Unless it returns years later with a new set, as did Bargain Game, et al.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:55:02 AM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 12:52:33 PM »
Why would it seem to have bothered Rod to clarify what brand of coffee maker was in that playing?

Having to go through several pages of copy to find the answer

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 01:55:28 PM »
Having to go through several pages of copy to find the answer

It was also one of Rod's final episodes IIRC, so between his chemo treatments and the animosity between him, Bob and possibly the rest of the staff, he was understandably exhausted.

Offline PhillyFlash

• In the Audience
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2019, 04:04:35 PM »
How about Add'em Up as a flop. It was really difficult to play and understand, and it never really caught on. Although the one good thing about it, is the price display is now the display for Pathfinder.
Do Not Pass Trolley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2019, 04:13:09 PM »
I think it was Hit Me. Yes joker and poker game were last played during season 35 but unlike Hit Me it wasnt removed from the rotation until after drew carey became host
Hit Me is the correct answer.  Drew rehearsed both Poker and Joker and were sacked after that point.  I believe Joker was retired because Drew didn't like a contestant pricing everything correctly and still losing.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2019, 05:11:16 PM »
I'm not sure Drew actually learned Poker Game, but it definitely wasn't retired until after he took over.

Joker, on the other hand, was actually scheduled before Roger decided to retire it.  It ended up being subbed out for Bonus Game.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »
On the Spot was pretty lousy - horrible colors, bad presentation, difficult to watch contestants try to play it.

One thing I did like about that game was how -- similar to Three Strikes -- the odds of getting your next choice right were constantly increasing.  It was strange to have a game with good analytical design, but awful game play.  They eventually managed to fix Time Is Money (which I thought started out as a much worse game than On the Spot)... maybe one day they'll figure out how to fix OtS, too.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2019, 05:26:37 PM »
Hit Me is the correct answer.  Drew rehearsed both Poker and Joker and were sacked after that point.  I believe Joker was retired because Drew didn't like a contestant pricing everything correctly and still losing.

Well, then, I can’t imagine Carey likes Half Off either.