Author Topic: Pricing game flops  (Read 15658 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: Pricing game flops
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2019, 05:52:51 PM »
Or Secret X, Plinko, or Spelling Bee, for that matter.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2019, 06:01:46 PM »
Drew rehearsed both Poker and Joker and were sacked after that point.

False.

I was only a few months into my job as production assistant, so I have no insight into the who or when or why, but neither Poker Game nor Joker was ever rehearsed in the studio with Drew.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2019, 06:33:50 PM »
Well, then, I can’t imagine Carey likes Half Off either.
Half Off has a cash bonus if you get all the small prizes correct...

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2019, 08:00:33 PM »
Personally, I feel like Gridlock! is the show’s latest flop. It’s presentation leaves a lot to be desired, and it’s core “Money Game remix” concept doesn’t sustain what the game is trying to be overall. I know we’ve had some huge and amazing wins on this game, but the lackluster presentation just leaves me flat. Even the big wins feel kinda anticlimactic somehow. Maybe if the Model didn’t have to assist on moving the props manually that’d be less tacky. Just a clunky addition to the game lineup. My 2

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2019, 09:19:38 PM »
Which wasn't present when Bob was hosting.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2019, 09:45:06 PM »
Which wasn't present when Bob was hosting.
Where were we discussing Bob in this topic?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2019, 10:07:52 PM »
Personally, I feel like Gridlock! is the show’s latest flop. It’s presentation leaves a lot to be desired, and it’s core “Money Game remix” concept doesn’t sustain what the game is trying to be overall. I know we’ve had some huge and amazing wins on this game, but the lackluster presentation just leaves me flat. Even the big wins feel kinda anticlimactic somehow. Maybe if the Model didn’t have to assist on moving the props manually that’d be less tacky. Just a clunky addition to the game lineup. My 2

And also, I might add, there are little or no opportunities for skill or luck, and thus no "historic moments" as Bob would say, or "YouTube-worthy moments" as I like to say. All you're doing is picking a set of numbers from a choice of three, two times. In addition, you're also allowed one mistake! You're not allowed ten as in 10 Chances. Remember Joy, the contestant that exasperated Bob on her playing and got it right on the last try by a stroke of luck? Then there's Bryan, the Punch-a-Bunch player that there away $5K and got $10K soon after? My point is, with Gridlock, there are no such instances. You're basically standing there trying to take a lucky shot at some mediocre winnings. A car is offered only for the sake of making an all-around lame game look "important".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:11:36 PM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2019, 10:44:12 PM »
Well, then, I can’t imagine Carey likes Half Off either.
The cash bonus was added because Drew didn't like that a contestant could play the game perfectly and still end up with nothing. It was originally $500 for every correct choice and then became $1,000 for getting all three correct since he took over.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2019, 07:44:49 AM »
Gridlock would be a success if they overhauled it as follows:
1.  Give the contestant 4 pairs of numbers to choose from for each section of the game (vs 3)
2.  Hand the contest 3 markers - call them Free Tolls or EZ Passes or Sun Passes or something else traffic related
3. The contestant can lose 2 markers but not 3 (Yes, I just created Penny Ante for a car!)
4. Make the reveals visual not solely audial.  Something has to light up or be mechanically revealed so that we instantly know if there is a win or loss.  Right now the sound effects are drowned out by the audience yelling and clapping and you can barely see that the numbers on the cars light up when a correct choice is made.
Thoughts? 

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2019, 01:26:06 PM »
Out of the current games, Stack the Deck and That's Too Much! fit the bill.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2019, 03:49:21 PM »
Quote from: Teddy
Out of the current games, Stack the Deck and That's Too Much! fit the bill.
Stack the Deck, in and of itself, is not a bad game.  It's problem, in my opinion, is the continual failure to set the game up properly to make it reasonably winnable, and by extension more enjoyable.

The game has a great concept and design, and a nice "you can 'stack the deck' in your favor" explanation. 

Stack the Deck, much like Let 'em Roll, should be set up so that most of the times it's played, the contestant gets all three "freebies".  Sadly, it's not, and it hurts the game as a result.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2019, 04:29:01 PM »
Stack the Deck, in and of itself, is not a bad game.  It's problem, in my opinion, is the continual failure to set the game up properly to make it reasonably winnable, and by extension more enjoyable.

It's also hampered by the fact that most contestants do not understand the proper strategy for playing this game at all.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2019, 06:17:44 PM »
^ But that could be seen as a strength, because you can afford to give away all three choices and know that some people aren't going to use them properly anyway.

Sadly, it seems to be used as a budget saver instead since it is so easy to control.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline brettreilly

• In the Audience
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »
I agree with that’s too much. Or as it is sometimes called “That’s Too Hard!”