Author Topic: Press Your Luck Returns!  (Read 11386 times)

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
Re: Press Your Luck Returns!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 12:10:39 AM »
Who will host it?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 09:09:28 AM »
what "super whammies"

Who will host it?

According to the PYL Fandom page:

Press Your Luck (2019 reboot)
Press Your Luck is a 2019 primetime game show created by Bill Carruthers. It is based on both the 1983-1986 game show and the 2002-2003 version known as Whammy!, of the same name. It premiered on CBS in June 7th, 2019 and was hosted by Rhys Darby (replacing Peter Tomarken in the original series and Todd Newton in Whammy!). The show announcer will be voiced by Jeffrey Tambor (replacing the late Rod Roddy in the original series and Gary Kroeger in Whammy!). The Whammy 2-D animations appear in the reboot and are voiced by Jeff Bergman (replacing the late Carruthers in both the original series and Whammy!). Including some new elements called the Super Whammy, which will automatically eliminate the plyer who lands on it, and the Platinum Ticket, which will give the player an extravagant prize of the player’s choice so long as He or She avoids the whammy.

However, I cannot find anything on Wikipedia itself except for this:

On February 21, 2019, a casting announcement was posted for a new version of Press Your Luck advertising opportunities for potential contestants to apply.

All that said, I sure hope this is for real and not some jokester pulling off a Crane Game-esque hoax.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:13:18 AM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »
I can't see them having a square that completely eliminates a contestant. That would be really cruel.

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 10:30:15 AM »
I doubt that's Bill Carruthers' voice in the 2002 revival.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 10:31:59 AM »
....just....stop. Geez.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 10:47:29 AM »
@tpir04: everything you quoted from the fandom page reads like fiction, and poorly-written fiction at that. The tipoff for me: it "premiered" in June 2019 (you can't talk about a future event in the past tense), and the "announcer" being "voiced by" (bad English).

The Wikipedia entry at least records a factual event, they HAVE just sent out a call, but I thought it was for contestants (personally I wouldn't call that a "casting call," but that's semantics).

@vnisanian2001: frankly, I'm with urbanpreppie0004.

Folks, a word to the wise: whenever you see something on a webpage that anyone can edit with no accountability, take it with a grain of salt. There are all kinds of people who use the Web, and a very common trope is people who post things just to post them (or post just to get attention and look like an "expert" with inside information), or who lack the ability/desire to distinguish their own ideas from reality. What was posted to that PYL Fandom page reads exactly like someone's own idea for what they'd like to see in a revival show, being misrepresented as fact.

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
Whoa, urbanpreppie0004, no need to gang up on me like that. I was merely questioning what I saw.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:06:18 AM by vnisanian2001 »

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 01:04:37 PM »
Dunno who this Rhys Darby is suppose to be (and considering portions of that paragraph is written in the post-tense, very likely total BS)  but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Craig Ferguson hosting this version.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2019, 01:55:49 PM »
After taking a closer look at the original entry, I see it was posted in the Wiki Ideas page. My mobile phone is what I mainly use for research, so I usually get the mobile sites instead of what you might get on a laptop or desktop computer. The mobile site had no tip-offs or anything. The top of the page just said 'Wiki Fandom.' Only when I opened the full site did I find that it was only an Ideas page. If I had known that in the first place, I would not have posted the info here. My apologies for any confusion.

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2019, 03:25:36 PM »
To tpir04 and anyone else reading: I think the lesson here is to not be in such a hurry and to do a little fact-checking before you post. If you share things as fact without doing due diligence, it gets you attention but doesn't do much for your credibility. I use my Android phone for most of my research, and I always pay careful attention to the URL at the top of the screen to know what site I'm actually on, regardless of what the mobile version may or may not show.

I would say the same before attempting to draw conclusions with little or no supporting information--such as concluding a station was going off the air simply because of an incomplete program schedule, with no other hint that it would be happening.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 06:53:41 PM »
Point taken. Thanks for your advice.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 09:42:42 PM »
So, this revival of Press Your Luck is not happening?  Or, did I misread something?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Not exactly "Left Field" avatars.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 09:49:04 PM »
^ I think that was referring to tpir04's post, not the original post by goldroadfanatic.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 08:06:02 PM »
According to the PYL Fandom page:

However, I cannot find anything on Wikipedia itself except for this:

All that said, I sure hope this is for real and not some jokester pulling off a Crane Game-esque hoax.
I am guessing that should and if Press Your Luck return, my guess is that it will be on CBS' summer prime time schedule. CBS and NBC desperately need to build a prime time game show line-up like ABC has.
Jay Williams

Offline GR_Man_9009

• BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 08:12:16 PM »
I am guessing that should and if Press Your Luck return, my guess is that it will be on CBS' summer prime time schedule. CBS and NBC desperately need to build a prime time game show line-up like ABC has.
Rumor has it that it's going to be on ABC NOT CBS
The Big Bang Theory Rules!