Author Topic: Press Your Luck Returns!  (Read 11411 times)

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Press Your Luck Returns!
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 08:21:18 PM »
Rumor has it that it's going to be on ABC NOT CBS
With five game shows in summer prime time, one of them airing at mid season, ABC does not have room for it. The other choice would be first-run Syndication paired with Steve Harvey's Family Feud, Alec Baldwin's Match Game and possibly a new reboot of Card Sharks in a syndicated game show block of between 90 minutes and two hours. Look at it this way, ABC has six prime time game shows on its prime time lineups which is more than enough, NBC has at least two prime time games, CBS has two daytime games in LMAD and of course, Price but none at night and Fox and the CW both also have no nighttime games. So there are other alternatives for the new PYL reboot to air on, ABC is near booked.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:29:12 PM by jaywilliams »
Jay Williams

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2019, 08:58:39 PM »
With five game shows in summer prime time, one of them airing at mid season, ABC does not have room for it. The other choice would be first-run Syndication paired with Steve Harvey's Family Feud, Alec Baldwin's Match Game and possibly a new reboot of Card Sharks in a syndicated game show block of between 90 minutes and two hours. Look at it this way, ABC has six prime time game shows on its prime time lineups which is more than enough, NBC has at least two prime time games, CBS has two daytime games in LMAD and of course, Price but none at night and Fox and the CW both also have no nighttime games. So there are other alternatives for the new PYL reboot to air on, ABC is near booked.

Not one syllable of which changes the fact that yes, indeed, it's going to be on ABC (as best we can tell from the information available anyway). Clearly, ABC doesn't feel they're "near booked."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2019, 09:05:42 PM »
If ABC felt they didn't have room for it, I don't think they would pick it up in the first place.

Fox and the CW both also have no nighttime games.

Would The Masked Singer and Mental Samurai count? Fox was also supposed to have Spin the Wheel, hosted by Dax Shepard, but I haven't heard any updates as of late.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2019, 09:16:18 PM »
CBS and NBC desperately need to build a prime time game show line-up like ABC has.

Actually they don't. They have their own summer strategies, and have done decently enough with their respective approaches. CBS can still count on Big Brother to be a reliable performer in the key demo, chewing up nice chunks of the schedule. Their summer original programming has fared less well of late, but they also have a stock of procedurals that can deliver decent enough results on a second...or third....go around.

America's Got Talent likewise chugs along at NBC, while American Ninja Warrior is a utility player they can lean on.

Just because ABC found a niche, for a couple of nights on the schedule, doesn't mean it is necessary nor advisable, for the competition to follow suit.

And as for Fox, they had Beat Shazam, though I have not read one way or another that I can recall about a third season. They also had Love Connection...however you want to classify it. On the radar, they have Mental Samurai coming up...so they are not devoid of games.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2019, 09:19:58 PM »
NBC also had The Wall, a Plinko-type game. It was supposedly renewed for a third season, but no new info has surfaced.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2019, 10:48:52 PM »
And as for Fox, they had Beat Shazam, though I have not read one way or another that I can recall about a third season. They also had Love Connection...however you want to classify it. On the radar, they have Mental Samurai coming up...so they are not devoid of games.
Beat Shazam was renewed for a third season last August- https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/beat-shazam-renewed-season-3-jamie-foxx-1202912557/

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2019, 09:48:56 PM »
Actually they don't. They have their own summer strategies, and have done decently enough with their respective approaches. CBS can still count on Big Brother to be a reliable performer in the key demo, chewing up nice chunks of the schedule. Their summer original programming has fared less well of late, but they also have a stock of procedurals that can deliver decent enough results on a second...or third....go around.

America's Got Talent likewise chugs along at NBC, while American Ninja Warrior is a utility player they can lean on.

Just because ABC found a niche, for a couple of nights on the schedule, doesn't mean it is necessary nor advisable, for the competition to follow suit.

First of all, BB, AGT, ANW and MS, along with Survivor are all reality shows, not game shows. same for The Masked Singer is also considered a reality show. There is a far difference between a reality show and a game show.
Thank you for reminding me about Beat Shazam on Fox, which is returning for season 3 and they had Love Connection, which has no word or news from Fox on a renewal for a third season. I totally forgot about those shows. My apologies.
Jay Williams

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2019, 09:51:48 PM »
NBC also had The Wall, a Plinko-type game. It was supposedly renewed for a third season, but no new info has surfaced.
My thinking is that season 3 of The Wall will air in the summer but NBC has made no announcement or confirmation on this as of yet, same with another season of Hollywood Game Night, but again nothing official said by the peacock network.
Jay Williams

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2019, 10:40:08 PM »
First of all, BB, AGT, ANW and MS, along with Survivor are all reality shows, not game shows. same for The Masked Singer is also considered a reality show. There is a far difference between a reality show and a game show.
No one said they were, the point is BB, AGT, and ANW take up their respective networks' summer blocks and there's no reason for them to ditch them in favor of traditional game shows as long as they're successful.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2019, 11:51:56 PM »
My thinking is that season 3 of The Wall will air in the summer but NBC has made no announcement or confirmation on this as of yet, same with another season of Hollywood Game Night, but again nothing official said by the peacock network.

It's pretty clear over the last few weeks that you're blatantly making stuff up at this point, but in case anybody is following along there's actually 10 episodes of HGN that still have yet to air.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2019, 07:44:52 PM »
It's pretty clear over the last few weeks that you're blatantly making stuff up at this point, but in case anybody is following along there's actually 10 episodes of HGN that still have yet to air.
Thank you for reminding ,e about the 10 remaining episodes of the current season of HGN, I again forgot about that.
Jay Williams