Author Topic: Card Sharks next to return  (Read 6530 times)

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Card Sharks next to return
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 06:35:21 PM »
There might not be a choice for NBC but to give up the third and possibly fourth hours of Today. It is time for NBC to start exploring other daytime programming options, including game shows.

Please explain why there's a situation that might leave NBC with no choice "but to give up the third and possibly fourth hours of Today." What evidence do you have that there's a problem in need of solving?

As for the second part..."it is time for NBC to start exploring" other options...I'm going to gently refer back to my previous caution about people posting just to post, and confusing their own opinions as fact. I appreciate that your opinion is that NBC needs to have a block of daytime game shows, but the facts don't really suggest that there's a concrete problem needing to be solved. Therefore, once again, I would ask you to explain what evidence you have that suggests otherwise.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 07:43:11 PM »
Please explain why there's a situation that might leave NBC with no choice "but to give up the third and possibly fourth hours of Today." What evidence do you have that there's a problem in need of solving?

As for the second part..."it is time for NBC to start exploring" other options...I'm going to gently refer back to my previous caution about people posting just to post, and confusing their own opinions as fact. I appreciate that your opinion is that NBC needs to have a block of daytime game shows, but the facts don't really suggest that there's a concrete problem needing to be solved. Therefore, once again, I would ask you to explain what evidence you have that suggests otherwise.
That is just my own personal opinion. NBC has seen a lot of comings and goings during on the Today Show in the last 14 months, including Matt Lauer's and Megyn Kelly's removals. Remember, everyone is allowed to express their own opinions about a posted topic.
Jay Williams

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 08:22:42 PM »
That is just my own personal opinion. NBC has seen a lot of comings and goings during on the Today Show in the last 14 months, including Matt Lauer's and Megyn Kelly's removals.

And...? They're still a successful franchise as far as I know. What reason do you have to suspect that the cast changes are hurting the show? And for that matter, (for the second time) what evidence do you have that the show has a business problem to start with?

(Note: your opinion that the show has a business problem, relating to money or ratings, isn't a valid answer unless you have something more than cast changes to discuss.)

Remember, everyone is allowed to express their own opinions about a posted topic.

Emphasis added. I have no problem with anyone sharing their opinions on any topic, but what I and several other users are gently trying to get you to realize is that you keep presenting your opinions as fact, with no supporting basis whatsoever. It's not too much to ask that your posts make sense.

If you'd told us that the cast changes at Today led you to think the show was declining in popularity and might suffer sufficiently in the ratings that NBC might have to find an alternative, that would've been one thing. But what you did was declare, more or less out of the blue, that Today was losing the network money, and that putting on daytime game shows would be a better choice. As others have pointed out, there's no evidence to support either half of that statement--so it comes across as irrational.

Put another way, if you say that you want to see more gameshows on NBC, I don't think many would argue with you (I for one think it would be great to see NBC do something to redeem themselves after DonD and Weakest Link). Saying that you think there's a business issue with Today, with zero facts to back it up, and suggesting that a daytime game show would be more popular, again with zero facts to back it up, is something that's pretty much off the wall. And you're rightly being called on it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:29:09 PM by ThomHuge »

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 07:25:49 PM »
And...? They're still a successful franchise as far as I know. What reason do you have to suspect that the cast changes are hurting the show? And for that matter, (for the second time) what evidence do you have that the show has a business problem to start with?

(Note: your opinion that the show has a business problem, relating to money or ratings, isn't a valid answer unless you have something more than cast changes to discuss.)

Emphasis added. I have no problem with anyone sharing their opinions on any topic, but what I and several other users are gently trying to get you to realize is that you keep presenting your opinions as fact, with no supporting basis whatsoever. It's not too much to ask that your posts make sense.

If you'd told us that the cast changes at Today led you to think the show was declining in popularity and might suffer sufficiently in the ratings that NBC might have to find an alternative, that would've been one thing. But what you did was declare, more or less out of the blue, that Today was losing the network money, and that putting on daytime game shows would be a better choice. As others have pointed out, there's no evidence to support either half of that statement--so it comes across as irrational.

Put another way, if you say that you want to see more gameshows on NBC, I don't think many would argue with you (I for one think it would be great to see NBC do something to redeem themselves after DonD and Weakest Link). Saying that you think there's a business issue with Today, with zero facts to back it up, and suggesting that a daytime game show would be more popular, again with zero facts to back it up, is something that's pretty much off the wall. And you're rightly being called on it.
ThomHuge, From what I read on your post, you and Steve G. are right. My opinions and postings lately have not made any sense with zero facts to back me up and has irritated other bloggers on golden-road.net. My apologies to you, Steve, Marc and all my fellow bloggers on this webpage.
Jay Williams