Author Topic: Pricing Games Around The World  (Read 253197 times)

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Pricing Games Around The World
« Reply #225 on: June 19, 2019, 09:07:30 PM »
And just in case you wanna know, the game’s title in English is “Spinning Price”.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #226 on: June 23, 2019, 02:37:48 AM »
Spelling Bee:
https://imgur.com/40OUbB6

Click for larger image

Switch?:
https://imgur.com/tizM5s6

Click for larger image

Barker's Bargain Bar:
https://imgur.com/6UOVhZx

Click for larger image

1 Right Price:
https://imgur.com/bRGCA2t

Click for larger image

One Wrong Price:
https://imgur.com/eiA5pMe

Click for larger image

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #227 on: June 23, 2019, 08:24:44 AM »
I just love seeing all of these.  Thanks so much!

I wonder why in Argentina only one of the Switch? podiums has a question mark on it? Maybe somehow in the presentation of the game they encourage the contestant to decide whether the item on the left has the correct price?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #228 on: June 23, 2019, 09:47:05 AM »
Spelling Bee:
     -It appears that the Italy 2000s prop is literally all hexagons. Nice!
     -The Dutch prop is best, mainly because of the title.

Switch?:
     -Most of these are red/yellow schemes. Portugal is my favorite for being unique.

Bargain Game:
     -Interesting how Finland uses percentages. I guess it would be easier at a glance, but the math would seem more complicated than necessary.
     -Mexico 2010: Do the numbers light up inside the podium?
     -Thailand: I love that they try to copy our sets, but I just can't accept a set that covers part of the title.

One Right Price:
     -It's interesting how so many of these versions start out with one model holding the price, instead of both, like in the US.
     -Italy 86: Props are fine, but I'm more drawn to the backdrop!

One Wrong Price:
     -I guess it makes sense that the UK's 1RP and 1WP use the same sets.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »
Thailand's Bargain Game is challenging my belief that the larger the set pieces, the better, and I don't like that.

I don't speak any languages other than English, but... the pun on "spelling bee" doesn't translate, right? So why do so many other nations' versions embrace not only the hexagons but also the bee motif?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #230 on: June 23, 2019, 04:13:32 PM »
In Spanish it would be something like "challenge of spelling", so no, the pun doesn't translate.

Mexico and Spain translates to "the beehive" and "the hive" respectively, and Italian is "the bee colony".

Even in the US the idea of a "spelling bee" is pretty loose. What spelling bee lets you get away with giving the letters out of order, or just saying the word?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #231 on: June 23, 2019, 05:12:56 PM »
For the record, the Pasquale version of 1 Right Price (and I'm guessing Spain '06, as well, since it has almost the exact same set) is 1 Right Price in name only -- if anything, it's Triple Prices.

With all the variations most of the games have gone through around the world, I'm amused that every single version of Switch? is basically identical.

Brosa, are you sure that Portugal picture in the Barker's Bargain Bar collage isn't actually One Wrøng Price?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 05:15:34 PM by SteveGavazzi »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2019, 05:39:11 PM »
Brosa, are you sure that Portugal picture in the Barker's Bargain Bar collage isn't actually One Wrøng Price?

Yes - you are correct.  Checking that video again, I think what confused me was that they reveal the actual prices one by one and the wrong price was revealed second with an understated 'win' bell.  They then took their time revealing the third one as if nothing had just happened and the correct answer hadn't already been found.

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #233 on: June 24, 2019, 04:50:37 AM »
I notice how many times the "OK" logo appears on 80s Italy pricing game... seems to have been used more there than the classic dollar sign over here.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #234 on: June 24, 2019, 04:57:31 PM »
Spelling Bee: I'm a little surprised the games use pretty much a similar set and I'm assuming the exact same format as ours except for some requiring four letters to win, even maintaining the bee motif. I guess there's not many other ways you can present the game using the same rules though. Columbia's of course does seem different though, I can't really tell how the game is played there just with that picture. The Vietnam '19 set wouldn't be a bad update for our set.

Switch: Pretty similar to ours just with different colors. The Argentina color scheme is pretty cool although it seems more fitting for underwater or with a darker show set. I'm assuming the correct solution was to switch in that Australia 12 playing?

Bargain Bar/Game: Very compact other than a few of them. Do the Thailand price reveals flip manually like ours or are they screens? Don't really get the UK Bruce film strip motif, if that's what it's supposed to be.

One Right Price: Very compact setups also. Ooh, playing for two cars on UK Bruce.

One Wrong Price: There's really no way to tell what they're playing in the Spain set. UK Joe could've done a little more with the set.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #235 on: June 24, 2019, 10:15:24 PM »
One Right Price:...Ooh, playing for two cars on UK Bruce.

Not as exciting as it looks -- if I remember correctly, if you won, you had to pick which car you wanted.  Or maybe you could only win the one with the one right price.  Either way, I'm pretty sure you weren't getting both of them.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #236 on: June 26, 2019, 05:59:52 PM »
Interesting price on Lucky Seven in Argentina this week:

She lost on the second 9 :P

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #237 on: June 26, 2019, 06:04:51 PM »
They make Richards look like Santa Claus.  :oldlol:

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2019, 04:45:05 AM »
Card Game:
https://imgur.com/5xx1HK9

Click for larger image

Poker Game:
https://imgur.com/cjUXXsF

Click for larger image

Buy Or Sell:
https://imgur.com/MqJGPrB

Click for larger image

Coming Or Going:
https://imgur.com/otF9XmQ

Click for larger image

More Or Less:
https://imgur.com/ZWLxfmJ

Click for larger image

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #239 on: June 30, 2019, 09:39:03 AM »
Card Game:
     -France 2001: Is that neon? I like it. The background reminds me of the US Switcheroo.
     -What was UK Leslie's range?

Poker Game:
     -I honestly don't know why they changed to that gaudy set in '96. They revamped some of their set pieces as well. This one is too busy. Putting it to a vote, the 1999 prop is best, for a charmingly simplistic set. It's followed by the '87 set, and '96 gets third.

Buy or Sell:
     -I like this digital readout, but not as much as the display of our US set. That's a very charming dollar sign.

Coming or Going:
     -That Mexican set is a favorite of mine. It has red, orange and white, with touches of blue and white.

More or Less:
     -Can you explain the reasoning behind that coal mining motif? 
     -I'm seeing Match Game 7X in China's stage set.