Author Topic: Pricing Games Around The World  (Read 253060 times)

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Pricing Games Around The World
« Reply #285 on: August 14, 2019, 12:00:50 PM »
Some really fascinating games here! With Le Juke Box and Le TV Quiz, part of me wonders if France saw some old episodes of Time Machine and wanted to work those games in.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #286 on: August 14, 2019, 12:27:30 PM »
Le Bowling:
    -For gameplay, I'd vote for the Italian version. While the French version sounds more like bowling, the Italian rule set appeals to me more. As far as set design, I'd vote for France '09.

Le lancer franc:
     -The Portuguese set seems too plain. The French version from '09 is too confusing and abstract. The French '99 set is easy to see. It gets my vote.

Le Flechettes:
     -I really like this game! The concept of dropping a dart sits well with me. The second version is really not related to pricing, but it's very colorful nonetheless.

CR:
     -Mexico 80s: Do they write their bids on paper or something?
     -The Dutch set from '87 is real nice. Very simplistic, but elegant nonetheless.
     -I really like that neon around the Philippine 2011 set. It makes the set very bright and eye-appealing.
     -I don't really get the curves of Portugal '03. They just seem too unnecessary.
     -The displays on the early Spanish versions are A favorite of mine. It's a nice break from the eggcrate and LCD that we usually see.
     -I like the set used for UK Leslie. The whole stage is really quite pretty, with the blocky letters and everything covered in gold glitter.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #287 on: August 14, 2019, 01:36:54 PM »
According to Google Translate, these are the French PGs and their English counterparts:

Le Bowling: The Bowling
Le lancer franc: The free throw
Les tirs au but: Shots on goal
Le Juke Box: The Juke Box
Le TV quiz: The TV quiz
Le Cine quiz: The cinema quiz
Le Flechettes: The darts
Les cerceaux: The hoops
L'alarme Fatale: The fatal alarm
Le code barre: Bar Code
Le distributeur: The distributor
Le 50-50: The 50-50
Le oui ou non: Yes or no

Offline Muon Duc Huy

• In the Audience
« Reply #288 on: August 17, 2019, 03:17:23 AM »
Vietnamese had just revived Joker recently.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 03:22:43 AM by Muon Duc Huy »

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #289 on: August 18, 2019, 02:39:54 AM »
CR:
     -Mexico 80s: Do they write their bids on paper or something?

Yes, it was sponsored by a department store and doesn't seem to have had a huge budget.  Moldova is still the cheapest, using those chalkboards. :P

Overall, I think my favourite contestant's rows are:
- Argentina 2019 - nice colours
- Australia 1989 - the coloured wedges remind me of the Wheel Of Fortune set in Australia in the early-mid 90's
- Chile - love the numbers
- China '15
- France '89
- Spain '88-'93

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #290 on: August 19, 2019, 03:27:58 AM »
Next up are three games from Argentina's current series along with some Showcase Showdown alternatives to the big wheel, plus the first half of the big wheels used around the world.

Delivery Lizy:

The contestant must price four different meals/food items and 'deliver' them to the building on the screen with that item's price on it to win cash.

Click for larger image

El Carrusel de Lizy:

A cash/small prize game where the contestant pops as many balloons as they can within a time limit and wins the sum of the notes contained in the balloons that were popped.  This game seems to be based on the game "La Pluie de Ballons" from the French 2009 series (although in that series, they have a set number of balloons to pop rather than a time limit).

Click for larger image

El Super de Lizy:

A small prize/grocery item game played for cash, the contestant must select the total price of a trolley full of grocery items from six options.  They can win two extra chances through two small prizes.

Click for larger image

Double Bullseye:
Played in Australia as an alternative to the big wheel (although it was sometimes used in conjunction with the wheel in some of the hour-long formats).  It was used in the first series in February '73, just 5 months after the US show's debut, which helps to explain how it came to be used in the Australian series.  This also means it actually predates the big wheel as a way of determining a showcase player.  According to Wikipedia, it was also used in the 2001 Philippines series.

Click for larger image

Supermarket:
Used early on in the Leslie Crowther series.  The contestants would select four of the six grocery items with the contestant whose total was closest to £20 winning through to the showcase.

Click for larger image

Showcase Showdown:
Used later on in the Leslie Crowther series. The six contestants would play elimination rounds with the furthest away with their guess in each round being eliminated until two contestants were left for the showcase.

Click for larger image

Secret One Bid:
Used in Spain's '88-'93 series.  Unlike the normal one bid rounds, the contestants would have to write their guess down.  There were two rounds with three contestants in each, with the closest without going over in each round winning through to the showcase.

Click for larger image

Big Wheels Part 1:

Click for larger image

Offline lejusteprix

• 12/14/2015
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #291 on: August 19, 2019, 08:18:47 AM »

Double Bullseye:
Played in Australia as an alternative to the big wheel (although it was sometimes used in conjunction with the wheel in some of the hour-long formats).  It was used in the first series in February '73, just 5 months after the US show's debut, which helps to explain how it came to be used in the Australian series.  This also means it actually predates the big wheel as a way of determining a showcase player.  According to Wikipedia, it was also used in the 2001 Philippines series.

Question: is Australia (in the early 80s) the only country to have a carryover champ/returning champion at anytime during any country's run of TPIR '72? 

Thanks!
Ryan.

Offline Muon Duc Huy

• In the Audience
« Reply #292 on: August 20, 2019, 09:54:15 AM »
For the Big Wheel in China '15, I just felt something Wheel Of Fortune here.

I have no idea what's going on with the Brazil '80 one.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #293 on: August 24, 2019, 05:28:30 AM »
Question: is Australia (in the early 80s) the only country to have a carryover champ/returning champion at anytime during any country's run of TPIR '72? 

Thanks!
Ryan.

I think so, yes.  I'm guessing it was in response to the other popular game shows at the time (Sale Of The Century, Wheel Of Fortune) having carryover champions.  Also, it's worth noting on the 80's Australian big wheels that they include the decimal for the 100 space, so it is "1.00".

For the Big Wheel in China '15, I just felt something Wheel Of Fortune here.

I have no idea what's going on with the Brazil '80 one.

I've since discovered the Brazil one was actually not from the Price Is Right but rather was used in a lottery draw - see: Still quite amusing seeing so many TPIR-like wheels going around all at once.

It's saying something that the flat big wheel for China's 2015 series is not even in the top 5 most bizarre things about that show.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 05:33:44 AM by brosa0 »

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #294 on: August 24, 2019, 02:04:18 PM »
For the Secret One-Bid: What happens if two people have the same bid?

These wheels are all very interesting. Some are just the wheel, others are surrounded with stands, and others are lavish like ours.

Australia 1989: I like the simple pattern used for the side walls, along with the number font.

Belgium 1990: Eh. The stand is a bit odd, but it doesn't detract any.

Brazil 2009: I like the circular design of the background.

Bulgaria: Very colorful wheel. Third favorite of mine.

Chile: Absolute favorite. The bold numbers and the neon on the sides, in particular.

China 2015: Second favorite. I like the idea of a horizontal wheel. Perhaps replace the cube on top with a Pricedown dollat sign or G-T asterisk. I wouldn't advocate for a change on the US version, however.

Colombia 1981: Thin wheel, but charming nonetheless.

Germany 1991, because of the very simple numbers.

Indonesia 2010: Really odd numbers on this one. They seem very out of place.

Israel: To say nothing of big set pieces.

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #295 on: August 27, 2019, 07:34:02 AM »
Another new game debuted in Argentina last week.   Below that is the first lot of 'new' games from the French 2009-2015 series plus the second part of the big wheels.

Memo Lizy:

The contestant has 10 seconds to memorize the prices of six small items.  They then have 20 seconds to place the six price tags on the right items.

Click for larger image

La Pochette Surprise:

Essentially a differently staged Bonus Game, with the contestant winning if they get the corresponding small item correct.

Click for larger image

La Balle au Centre:

An interesting take on On The Nose.  The contestant has five paintballs and must first hit the correct price out of the four options.  Once they do that, they use their remaining paintballs to try and hit the bullseye to win.

Click for larger image

Le Mini-bar:

The same as Hole In One, except they must slide the mug into the hole at the end of the bar.

Click for larger image

Les Re-Citations:

Essentially "Four Price Tags" with a free pick to start, with a chance to earn two more picks by correctly completing quotes.

Click for larger image

Le Prix en Boite:

The contestant has to throw balls at the cans that correspond to the price of the prize and can earn more throws through small item guesses.

Click for larger image

Quel Chantier!:

The contestant uses a massive crane to move prizes to the corresponding price and can earn more moves through small items.

Click for larger image

La Brique Au Prix:

The contestant must hit bricks in the wall without causing it to collapse and can earn more hits through small items.  The orange bricks hide cash amounts and they have the option of bailing with what they've earned if they think the wall might collapse.

Click for larger image

Le Prix de la Verite:

Essentially the same game as Les Re-Citations, except that the way of earning extra picks actually involves pricing small items rather than general knowledge.

Click for larger image

La Pluie de Ballons:

The game that seemed to inspire "El Carrusel de Lizy" from Argentina's current series, only here they earn a number of balloons to break rather than an increased time limit.

Click for larger image

Le Prix suspendu:

The contestant must explode the balloon that corresponds with the price of the prize.  They can earn up to three balloon picks through small items.

Click for larger image

Big Wheels Part 2:

Click for larger image

Offline Muon Duc Huy

• In the Audience
« Reply #296 on: August 27, 2019, 08:55:37 AM »
In Vietnam, there exist a Big Wheel varient from 2010. It's the same as the 2011 one, but slightly crappier.

Also, where do you get the Vietnam 2011 one?

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2019, 11:16:44 AM »
I do like the Big Wheel from Mexico, because it virtually almost represents OUR big wheel!!!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #298 on: August 28, 2019, 05:11:56 PM »
-Italy 1989: The side panels are really colorful, and I like them.
-In the Lebanon picture, there is an "LBC" logo in the upper-left. Could this be a subsidiary of ABC? I ask because the shapes of the logos are similar.
-I like the numbers of the wheel on Mexico 1997. Does anybody know what font they are and if/where they are available for download?
-Mexico 2010 is my favorite. It utilizes LED but doesn't overdo it.
-Peru: Love the pinwheel style paint job and the bulbs on the sides.
-UK Bob: I always favored the "Euro" stand that was used.
-Slightly off topic, but I'm fond of the octagonal Big Doors, used in Vietnam 2014.

Offline mvcg66b3r

• Outside in Line
« Reply #299 on: August 28, 2019, 05:37:04 PM »
-In the Lebanon picture, there is an "LBC" logo in the upper-left. Could this be a subsidiary of ABC? I ask because the shapes of the logos are similar.

LBC may be a different company altogether.