Author Topic: Pricing Games Around The World  (Read 253074 times)

Offline Muon Duc Huy

• In the Audience
Re: Pricing Games Around The World
« Reply #330 on: March 17, 2020, 12:08:57 AM »
As in Kirby's Dream Land?

Or am I missing something here?

Well, both Kirby's Dream Land and Kirby Super Star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdjeoqxDb2E See 12:05, 20:03 and 38:52

Offline Muon Duc Huy

• In the Audience
« Reply #331 on: March 18, 2020, 08:21:58 AM »
Here is what Punch-a-Bunch in Vietnam looks like in 2011.

Also, Pass the Buck gameboard also have a minor change in 2011 as well.

Funnily enough, those two pictures came from an episode where there are two Showcase Showdown Spin-Off games (one for each Showcase Showdown), and the episode ends with two showcase winners.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #332 on: March 18, 2020, 07:02:14 PM »
Well, both Kirby's Dream Land and Kirby Super Star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdjeoqxDb2E See 12:05, 20:03 and 38:52

I figured I had to be misunderstanding you, because why would they be using music from a video game.

And yet there it is.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #333 on: May 09, 2020, 06:47:55 PM »
Just been catching up on El Precio Justo (Argentina) after a busy couple of months.   The show has continued to tape and air during COVID-19 with some interesting and bewildering results.

But first... there was an interesting new game that debuted just prior to the virus impacting the show:  El Arbol De La Fortuna ("The Tree of Fortune")

In this game, there are different money value cards scattered on the reverse side of a large tree, including one top value card of $10,000, as well as several "Lose Everything" cards.

The contestant starts with 10 seconds to pick as many cards off the tree and can earn an extra 20 seconds through two small prizes.  They are then blindfolded and pick as many cards as they can within the time limit.  These are then revealed to the contestant one by one, with the cash amounts revealed accumulating. The contestant can bail at any time, as revealing a "Lose Everything" card loses them any money revealed and ends the game.

Since my last update when Clock Game debuted, it appears the show has fallen in love with that game.  It's replaced the big wheel and showcase at the end of regular episodes - similar to other international versions - but was also getting played in place of one of the pricing games early on in the episodes.

Since COVID-19 hit, the show's become a bit of a mess and barely "The Price Is Right" at all the longer they've gone on.  The episodes appear to now fill a 2 hour timeslot and have become variety shows including updates on the virus, and other non-pricing related games and segments.  In some episodes, there have literally not been any pricing games played at all, and in others only the new Clock Game has been played.

Initially it appears they tried several formats, including:

1. Playing with just the minimum contestants needed to play the pricing games, with no audience, which worked okay and could work on the US version with some tweaks

2. Playing with contestants at home through video, which also worked okay and could work on the US versions as a "TPIR at Home" sort of format.

3. Up to 8 of the show's cast and crew acting as the contestants and audience members, playing a few of the pricing games as part of the 'variety' format.

The situation highlights a possible issue with the US version returning: beyond the audience social distancing issues, the show is a large production behind the scenes with lots of different games, organizing prizes, etc. that all still need to be able to be done for the show to be made. 

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #334 on: May 09, 2020, 07:36:52 PM »
2. Playing with contestants at home through video, which also worked okay and could work on the US versions as a "TPIR at Home" sort of format.

3. Up to 8 of the show's cast and crew acting as the contestants and audience members, playing a few of the pricing games as part of the 'variety' format.

I've gotta say that these two can be the trend for  the show if they'll be modifying the format of the show if they decide to continue it after (even during) this pandemic. Thanks brosa for the info.

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #335 on: May 09, 2020, 08:03:28 PM »
Also, here's the actual Contestants Row from the 2001 version, the time they're still using the Australian format, before repainting the podium with the ones you see on brosa's post.

https://imgur.com/a/eB1YRDs

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #336 on: May 10, 2020, 12:13:02 AM »
I've gotta say that these two can be the trend for the show if they'll be modifying the format of the show if they decide to continue it after (even during) this pandemic.

Honestly, this seems pretty ridiculous.  There's no reason to think they won't keep producing the show, and there's no reason to think they'll monkey around with the format.  I can maybe see them trying at-home players if they decide they absolutely need to get things up and running again, but I can't imagine they'd upend the whole format just for the sake of producing The Price Is Right if it isn't even going to be The Price Is Right.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #337 on: May 10, 2020, 01:31:33 PM »
They're not going to do at-home contestants because it's impossible to ensure the contestants aren't receiving outside pricing assistance.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #338 on: May 10, 2020, 02:23:10 PM »
They're not going to do at-home contestants because it's impossible to ensure the contestants aren't receiving outside pricing assistance.

Perhaps a bit more, but then again they can get help for many games while in studio, and there is always a chance that someone in the audience knows the answers just as well as a computer.

I suppose if it became necessary (not that it will, but if) they could possibly work out a deal with their affiliates where a contestant and someone from the station could meet (as reporters are already doing for news type reports in some situations), so that the station employee could confirm that the contestant wasn't cheating while still maintaining a safe distance and limiting the interactions to one on one, rather than a large group.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #339 on: May 10, 2020, 04:37:45 PM »
At-home contestants would kill the vibe of the show. I just can’t see it happening, whether it’s technically possible or not.

I’m even willing to make a friendly bet that it will never happen—if anybody wants to call, $10 says that we won’t see at-home contestants play on the US version the next 365 days. Open to anyone on the board, first taker only.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Muon Duc Huy

• In the Audience
« Reply #340 on: May 11, 2020, 09:21:38 AM »
Vietnam already did tapings without audience since February. Recently in their April taping they were forced to move to another studio which doesn't even have audience row, and contestants were seen washing hands using dry gels on screen.

Offline Muon Duc Huy

• In the Audience
« Reply #341 on: May 19, 2020, 05:44:16 AM »
Also for the upcoming tapings the show may introduce 3 Strikes or Switch? in Vietnam, once the lockdown is over.

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #342 on: June 11, 2020, 10:16:08 PM »
Just about a week ago, The Price is Right went back to the British airwaves once again, with Alan Carr hosting. Here are the updated games that were played:

Cliffhanger (Alan's face is on the mountain climber similar to Yodely Guy)

Hole in One (no 2-putt rule)

Any Number (with an actual piggy bank)

Plinko (all slots in play, unlike the 2017 version)

Push Over (my personal favorite)

The full episode is available on the Video Collection.

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #343 on: June 11, 2020, 10:16:49 PM »
Sorry for the giant screengrabs...  :lol:

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #344 on: June 11, 2020, 11:07:09 PM »
Wow that's a dark color scheme. Plinko and Pushover look like they're dressed up for a black tie affair. I like the lighting around the set in Hole in One, but the sign is really cheap looking.