Author Topic: Pricing Games Around The World  (Read 256457 times)

Offline Muon Duc Huy

• In the Audience
Re: Pricing Games Around The World
« Reply #360 on: July 04, 2020, 03:11:43 AM »
Don't like the new Plinko set in Vietnam now.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #361 on: July 04, 2020, 07:45:05 AM »
Needs some more color, I think.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #362 on: July 04, 2020, 11:57:44 AM »
IMO it's not terrible, just could use some brightening up and the game name is too small on the board.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #363 on: July 04, 2020, 01:24:18 PM »
I think I actually admire this set over the current US Plinko set.  Well, just the color scheme; definitely not the structure.  Though the structure isn't awful.  A touch up would be favorable.  Maybe add some violet to the board, I don't know.  Otherwise Vietnam Plinko is okay
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #364 on: August 07, 2020, 12:36:34 AM »
I just realized this thread hasn't been stickied.  I'd better do something about that.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Muon Duc Huy

• In the Audience
« Reply #365 on: August 13, 2020, 08:33:34 AM »
The Thailand version is coming back this month, now on Channel 8. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o3AM3UoSfA

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #366 on: August 13, 2020, 09:36:17 PM »
Just came across the Indonesian version's YouTube channel, and it seems that they have revived the series amidst the Covid-19 pandemic, with contestants observing physical distancing (they've removed the audience seats). A new host, announcer, opening theme, along with some cosmetic changes. They got rid of the US-style titles and replaced it with a similar 3-D logo. Here's a pic of a refurbished Punchboard and their Big Wheel.

The golden door frames were really neat, along with the shades of colors of the big doors. Also, there was another video of a "giveaway" portion somehow made as a pricing game with two contestants. Not pretty sure how it worked, but here's the clip:

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #367 on: August 15, 2020, 08:05:38 AM »
Portugal refurbished a number of games last year.  They've continued filming new episodes with audiences during COVID-19.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 08:12:49 AM by brosa0 »

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #368 on: August 15, 2020, 09:40:44 AM »
Is it just me or do the locks on Portugal's Master Key look like Mickey Mouse?
1,697 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #369 on: August 15, 2020, 12:09:25 PM »
Definitely agree Plinkoman. They also look more like parking meters than locks to me.

The Portugal set is very...blue.

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #370 on: August 15, 2020, 02:09:21 PM »
To me, those locks look more like a person wearing headphones jamming to music. So the goal is to find the *key* to their heart. 8-)

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #371 on: October 29, 2020, 06:42:18 PM »
Any Number
https://imgur.com/iTBnz8e or see attachment.

Minor correction here: the "Australia '90s" set is actually the one from the '00s revival. This is actually the 90s version (or rather, one of them; it was originally sapphire blue but I haven't been able to find footage of that version).

With the help of this thread, I've been trying to work out why I don't like Do the Math very much (even though I think the concept is fine), and I think it's that the games of the Bob era tend to be elegant but generic enough that you can update the sets as they start to show their age (or, indeed, localise them for different countries), while all the Drew-era games except Do the Math and mayyyybe Vend-O-Price are designed with such a focus on the visuals as part of the game that it's almost impossible to imagine what could be done to refresh, say, Hot Seat in twenty years. But Do the Math feels like they're trying to do a Bob-era set with no understanding of what makes them charming.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 06:52:25 PM by theamazingracer »

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #372 on: October 29, 2020, 10:57:02 PM »
Also the 90s version of Cliff Hangers was different. In fact, I'm pretty sure this was the only 1990s game that got a whole new set for the 2000s version instead of just repainting the one in storage. Excluding the showcase's new board (which was based on the old one anyway), the ONLY other major physical changes to any of the 25 sets are Any Number's spikes being removed and Make Your Move getting a new sign.

But it's not the only new set a game got for the 2000s revival. One Dollar Deal/Lucky Seven was modified slightly when they redid the studio and the weird stockticker thing they added blocked its name sign from the camera, and Side by Side of all things got repainted.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #373 on: December 06, 2020, 06:06:10 AM »
Following from a post above, I found it interesting that most of the games for this year's TPIR Indonesia revival were refurbished/rebuilt and not just re-used from their last series just 2 years ago, although I suppose that might be because it was on a different network.   It appears that the latest series didn't last too long, finishing at the end of October.

Below are the refurbished games that were posted on Youtube - 2018 series on the left; 2020 on the right.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #374 on: December 06, 2020, 12:25:23 PM »
I like the look of their show logo for 2020, otherwise I think for the most part the previous pricing game sets were better. For Lucky $even, is the contestant pricing the combined total of the prizes offered or one prize at a time?