Author Topic: Pricing Games Around The World  (Read 253061 times)

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Pricing Games Around The World
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2019, 09:51:27 AM »
What in the world is up with Netherlands '00's Danger Price?

That set looks like Spongebob Squarepants. I guess if you pick the Danger Price, you make him cry?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2019, 10:48:21 AM »
Danger Price:
    -Netherlands 2000...don't even know where to start.
    -Italy (both versions)...whenever I see "La Trappola" I think of "La Crapola". I guess that's what you say when you pick the Danger Price.  :-)

Take Two:
     -The 1992 France set looks like a jukebox. Somehow that's dangerous?
     -I like what Pakistan and UK Joe did with their sets. And...ACTION!  :-D
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »
The Netherlands 2000s version of Danger Price is honestly one of the worst designs I’ve ever seen

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2019, 11:53:08 AM »
From what I recall when the Dutch version was first discussed here (back in '03 or so), the general theme of the show was "kitschy American culture." So Spongebob, while still very random, fits in that context.

In general, it seems like many foreign versions try to distract from their tiny prize budgets by making it more of a comedy/variety show...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2019, 02:32:52 PM »
Italy's original Danger Price board always bothered me...I don't understand how someone could design a set that involved a price flap covering up part of the logo.

On the other hand, I do find their second board interesting.  It's neat to see how the first board could have evolved if they'd simply revamped it instead of creating the second set.

On a totally unrelated note, please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks of Street Fighter II when they see the prize labels from the Netherlands.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2019, 02:57:13 PM »
It's fascinating when going through these how exact the Thailand versions are, as if they have just shipped the props overseas from Los Angeles.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2019, 09:35:32 PM »
Take Two:
     -The 1992 France set looks like a jukebox. Somehow that's dangerous?

Given that it's Take Two, probably not. :P

(And remember, our Race Game is a jukebox, too, and that doesn't really make sense, either.)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2019, 11:08:33 PM »
The Netherlands Danger Price set makes me think of the SpongeBob ice cream bars that ice cream trucks sell. What's with the Italy set? It looks like one of those handheld guide the marble through the maze games.

Interesting that Pakistan and UK Joe used a film theme for Take Two. Was the game logo in the background of the UK Joe set animated like the beginning of a film strip? France went from a giant jukebox to an ATM/slot machine hybrid.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2019, 08:06:34 AM »
The Netherlands '90 version had some bizarre colour combinations going on in general.  Danger Price is one of the few games without bright yellow on it.  It's neat seeing their '87 version of Take Two being played on the turntable though.

I wish I could say Australia's 2012 Take Two was the worst pricing game prop it had, what with its ridiculous oversized red oval to 'hide' the display screen and ugly font on the tags, but there are several others that are just as bad.

It's fascinating when going through these how exact the Thailand versions are, as if they have just shipped the props overseas from Los Angeles.

I love seeing how the Indonesia and Thailand series copy the US designs so much, but have subtle variations to how they've been built that make them look different enough to each other.  In some cases the Indonesian game looks better than the Thai one as a result, while its vice versa for other games.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2019, 08:41:39 AM »
The Netherlands '90 version had some bizarre colour combinations going on in general.  Danger Price is one of the few games without bright yellow on it.  It's neat seeing their '87 version of Take Two being played on the turntable though.

I wish I could say Australia's 2012 Take Two was the worst pricing game prop it had, what with its ridiculous oversized red oval to 'hide' the display screen and ugly font on the tags, but there are several others that are just as bad.

I love seeing how the Indonesia and Thailand series copy the US designs so much, but have subtle variations to how they've been built that make them look different enough to each other.  In some cases the Indonesian game looks better than the Thai one as a result, while its vice versa for other games.

The same font that's used on That '70s Show I believe, and sure, it's very out of style these days.

It seems like UK Joe and Pakistan are operated by the same division, and speaking of cartoon characters, I like UK Joe's Danger Price set in particular because it reminds me of Danger Mouse.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2019, 03:51:51 AM »
Two grocery/cash games:

Grand Game
https://imgur.com/6ctkWb4 or see attachment

Pay The Rent
https://imgur.com/1QlHC9R or see attachment

The French version of PTR had a top prize of 5000 euros.  The playing in the second image was a painful bailout. 

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2019, 04:23:41 AM »
To add to the post above, the game I included from the Spanish '88 for Grand Game requires the contestant to select three prizes that are below the target price indicated, which is why I included it here. 

There was another game that uses the cash building mechanism of Grand Game, but the contestant has to get a series of True/False small prize guesses correct to progress through the game.  Probably should've included it too, so below is an image of that game.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2019, 05:10:36 AM »
In those pictures for Grand Game, one of them kinda looks like "Super Saver" with a digital display in the middle.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2019, 06:03:58 AM »
The Mexico '10 version of Grand Game looks more like Now...or Then. And I'm surprised any other version of the show has even tried Pay the Rent, given how cheap those shows are compared to the US version.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2019, 06:05:38 AM »
I know for sure there was another Grand Game board used on the original version of Atinale al Precio...and the fact that I've been looking for a picture of it for the past 20 minutes without finding one is driving me up a wall.