Author Topic: Pricing Games Around The World  (Read 253065 times)

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Pricing Games Around The World
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2019, 12:39:14 PM »
What are the US dollar equivalents of those amounts in Columbia's Pay the Rent?

2 million Colombian Pesos equal about $638:
https://www.google.com/search?q=2000000%20COP%20to%20USD
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 12:41:46 PM by LiteBulb88 »

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2019, 07:26:47 PM »
Haven't posted since Danger Price/Take Two so this post will be a tad longer than usual.  :biggrin:

Grand Game:
     -I like the color scheme for the 1985 Brazil prop. A strong use of primary colors.
     -My other favorites are the Spain 1988 and France 2009 (but only if the zeroes are placed by hand, a la 2010 Mexico.

Pay the Rent:
     -Well, not much to say except for the Colombian version. I like that they styled it in the form of two apartment buildings.

Dice Game:
     -1980s Australia and UK Leslie have nice sets. Simple, and that's what makes them stand out.
     -A shout-out to 1988 Spain for having a wheel instead of dice. I would've enlarged it and separated it from the main prop.
     -Vietnam's translation of Dice Game is "Xuc Xac"? No comment.

Let 'em Roll:
     -China and 2009 France deserve mega-kudos for their HUGE ramps. I'd love to roll dice down one of those! I can only imagine how long it would take to play.

A few sidenotes:
     -The 2017 Portugal stage looks much better than the 1991 set. I kind of like white but that is ridiculous.
     -Whatever the backdrop for the 2010 Mexico turntable is, I like it. (It's visible in the Grand Game collage.)
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2019, 04:26:33 AM »
I really like the look of the Dutch Dice Game. 

The tiny ramps for some of the Let Em Roll games (Russia, Argentina) were pretty pathetic.

Going back to Pay The Rent, I find it a little amusing that the UK pilot in 2017 went to the trouble of building a huge physical PTR set, only for the show not to be picked up. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 04:28:39 AM by brosa0 »

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2019, 04:23:40 PM »
Lucky Seven
https://imgur.com/bJoGuCv

Click for larger image:

Cover Up
https://imgur.com/KhVxnGT

Click for larger image:

(Sorry, the option to add attachments appears to be missing for me)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:31:47 PM by brosa0 »

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2019, 04:33:51 PM »
Interesting to see that the UK version of Lucky 7 uses the windshield of the car as the prop for playing the game.

I'd be interested to read specifics of how each game is played in the context of the those countries where the prices contain many more digits.

The French version of Cover Up has an odd, circuit board appearance to it.  I'm not sure I like it. 
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2019, 04:55:33 PM »
Lucky 7: I wonder how many numbers are given for free in the countries with 6+ digit prices, like Colombia and the 90s Italy versions. I sure hope it's not 0  :-o.

Cover Up: I agree about not liking the France version--that's way too busy and confusing, and it's hard to see which numbers correspond to which spot. I find it interesting that 0 is an option for the first number in the Italy '00 version.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2019, 05:03:48 PM »
Thanks for posting Lucky Seven. I would've requested it, but I didn't want this topic banned for any amount of time.

Lucky Seven:
     -Colombian Lucky Seven should be Lucky Thirteen. There's no way you could win with 7 $1 bills.
     -France 2009 is designed like an old-fashioned coin purse. Hmm. Interesting.
     -The third 1990s Italy prop makes me think of a Visa Credit Card.

Also, regardless of what I said in my previous post, I am quite fond of the neon around the Big Doors in the 1991 Portugal stage.

Cover Up: None of these really appeal to me. Frankly, I prefer our version to any of them. But if I had to pick, I'd say the 2000s Italy prop is the best out of those presented here.

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2019, 06:07:32 PM »
What in the world is going on with Spain's Lucky Seven board?

Interesting that France's version of the game started off as, effectively, Lucky Ten.

In Mexico's Cover Up, did the contestant automatically get a free second turn for placing that first number correctly? Conversely, did France's version add a digit in each position, or was one number immediately taken from each section to create the opening "wrong" price?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2019, 11:42:48 PM »
Fun fact:  Even though Atinale al Precio's sets were more or less functionally identical to ours, they played Lucky $even in Door #1.

I never thought I'd say this about anything, but Israel's gigantic wall of a Lucky $even board looks like it was inspired by Shower Game.

Scott:  As far as I can tell, Atinale al Precio's rules for Cover Up are exactly the same as ours, so yes, there's an automatic second turn.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2019, 01:21:50 AM »
Fun fact:  Even though Atinale al Precio's sets were more or less functionally identical to ours, they played Lucky $even in Door #1.
Given that their Lucky Seven was in Door #1, and that the car was sitting on stage, did they push the car out from Door #3 or something?

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2019, 06:06:41 AM »
In Mexico's Cover Up, did the contestant automatically get a free second turn for placing that first number correctly? Conversely, did France's version add a digit in each position, or was one number immediately taken from each section to create the opening "wrong" price?

For Mexico, the host (Marco) places the first number in the first slot during the explanation as an example of what to do with the rest, so the contestant has to get at least one of the last 5 correct to continue.

For the French version, one number from each section was already used in the opening 'wrong' price.   You'll notice the first set of numbers has 0 as an option, which was actually a legitimate and correct option for the first number in the price in one of the playings I saw.   Also, the French version is a touch screen that is less responsive than the early Double Cross screen, so it is pretty tedious to watch.  The contestant has to drag the wrong numbers back to their respective sets before dragging their new guessed number back to the middle.   This creates the problem of the contestant potentially forgetting which wrong numbers they've already tried.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2019, 06:19:31 AM »
Lucky 7: I wonder how many numbers are given for free in the countries with 6+ digit prices, like Colombia and the 90s Italy versions. I sure hope it's not 0  :-o.

For Colombia, they are given 12 notes but have to guess all 8 numbers.   And as you can see from the example, the prices are pretty evil regardless of how many they are given.

Offline barkerfan05

• In the Audience
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2019, 08:29:38 AM »
I just wanna share some pics of my country's various pricing games, the Philippines! Unfortunately, these are the only ones that I found on the Internet and on YouTube. First up, 2 of the ABC version's games: Any Number, not played for a car, and the Money Game. Then, here's It's in the Bag of the 2011 revival, which is played for Php 80,000, or in some occasions, Php 120,000, and a rather small Easy as 1 2 3 (it's because of the small set, you know.)

All pictures are found here: https://imgur.com/a/hvIye9H

Link fixed by Steve.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:49:30 PM by SteveGavazzi »

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2019, 10:18:58 AM »
For Colombia, they are given 12 notes but have to guess all 8 numbers.   And as you can see from the example, the prices are pretty evil regardless of how many they are given.

Gah! That's worse than the US edition. In the US, you can be off by an average of 1.5 numbers per guess (maximum 6 total numbers off in 4 guesses). In the Colombian edition, you can only be off by an average of 1.375 numbers per guess (11 numbers off in 8 guesses.) Plus 0's all over the place in the price! I hope Mike Richards isn't reading this thread...he doesn't need ideas about how to make Lucky 7 harder  :-o.

I just wanna share some pics of my country's various pricing games, the Philippines! Unfortunately, these are the only ones that I found on the Internet and on YouTube. First up, 2 of the ABC version's games: Any Number, not played for a car, and the Money Game. Then, here's It's in the Bag of the 2011 revival, which is played for Php 80,000, or in some occasions, Php 120,000, and a rather small Easy as 1 2 3 (it's because of the small set, you know.)

All pictures are found here: [https://imgur.com/a/hvIye9H]

Thanks for sharing!! For some reason, the URL isn't coming through as a clickable link (at least for me), so here it is directly linked so people don't have to copy and paste:

https://imgur.com/a/hvIye9H

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2019, 11:30:25 AM »
Nice! I love the red on the Money Game. IITB is basically the same as the US set, except the bags are square instead of trapezoidal.