Author Topic: Pricing Games Around The World  (Read 253189 times)

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
Re: Pricing Games Around The World
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2019, 10:59:12 PM »
Agreed that is odd, especially when other games on the Pakistan series are based on the Joe Pasquale 2007-era games.  They must have built the prop from scratch too, so it's not like they just took the existing UK one out of storage.

It has me wondering though... in a world where the game was introduced to the US show, what would a good alternative name for it be?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:03:33 PM by brosa0 »

Offline cvjs1993

• Outside in Line
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2019, 06:55:29 AM »
In Argentina, Dice Game is called "A Los Dados"

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2019, 02:59:03 AM »
Steve has kindly brought to my attention some footage of Range Game from the Netherlands circa 1990 series.  I actually quite like the look of this.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2019, 03:18:36 AM »
In Argentina, Dice Game is called "A Los Dados"

Thanks for this too.  It appears Dice Game premiered on that series just last week.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2019, 04:10:33 AM »
One Away
https://imgur.com/08Q0qLn

Click for larger image:

Line Em Up
https://imgur.com/iPA6Yf0

Click for larger image:

Split Decision
https://imgur.com/KMKQglp

Click for larger image:

2 For The Price Of 1
https://imgur.com/Ri6IZlr

Click for larger image:

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2019, 05:29:00 AM »
One Away: I like the Mexico '10 set, but 6 numbers? Good luck with that! And what is the UK Leslie version playing for that the prize is 285 pounds? Ikea furniture?

Line 'em Up: I really like both Chinese sets with the puzzle piece background. Line 'em Up is a like a puzzle where you're trying to fit the numbers in correctly.

Split Decision: Other countries tried this game?!?!

2 For the Price of 1: Pretty much the same as the US. The first digit is obviously free in the Mexico version; did contestants get to pick another digit for free as well?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2019, 06:49:01 AM »
One Away: I like the Mexico '10 set, but 6 numbers? Good luck with that! And what is the UK Leslie version playing for that the prize is 285 pounds? Ikea furniture?

UK had strict prize limits on all their game shows till the mid 90's, so this was par for the course for them back then. The Showcases was all that had any bigger prizes. Blankety Blank (Match Game) was played for a check book and pen at this time for same reason.

Offline cvjs1993

• Outside in Line
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2019, 07:30:20 AM »
In Colombia, One Away is called "Espejito Espejito"

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2019, 09:16:26 AM »
Going back to Range Game:
     -Italy 1990s probably has the best set only because it's diagonal.
Flip Flop:
     -It's easy to see which games are cut from the US cloth. Ausralia 2005 has a different color scheme but it is otherwise exactly the same.

Freeze Frame:
     -I guess the best is Netherlands 2000. Otherwise there's not much to see here.

Double Prices:
     -My top three, starting with #1: Australia 1990s, Colombia, Italy 2000s. Also interesting how 2010 Mexico chose a fruit theme.

One Away:
     -Lots to see here. I would have to prefer the Australia 2005 set over the others. I like the 1990s set also, maybe more so, but it's more or less a case of blue overload. And what is the problem with 1999 Argentina and their *huge* sets?

Line em Up:
     -Neat how China styled it with a puzzle piece. Those may very well be my favorites.

Split Decision:
     -Intersting how Russia picked up the game after the US version retired it. Also, maybe a coincidence, but the four numbers that have been pulled down represent the year that the US version was retired! I'd have to prefer UK Bruce over Russia set, though.

2 for the Price of 1
     -The Italy set is the best, and notice the hidden arrow in the set. I like all of the sets, so it's hard to rank them, but Australia 1990s ranks above the 1999 Mexico set.

On a sidenote: In the Range Game picture from 2000s Netherlands, is it just me, or are the contestant and model children? The reason I ask is that in the One Away pic, the contestant and model look like grown adults. Brosa, can you give any insight on the episode? Was it a children's week or something?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:21:29 AM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2019, 04:12:01 PM »
One Away: I had to squint to see Argentina's set. Spain's has a weird set. Was Slovakia's played for a 3 digit prize where the cents (or equivalent there) were priced also?

Line em Up: I like the blue lights in Australia's set. China's puzzle motif isn't bad, but it looks kinda odd.

Split Decision: Surprised that any other version tried it since the game didn't last too long on our show.

2 for the Price of 1: Looks like Mexico's pricing portion uses a 4-digit prize.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2019, 04:59:53 PM »
On a sidenote: In the Range Game picture from 2000s Netherlands, is it just me, or are the contestant and model children? The reason I ask is that in the One Away pic, the contestant and model look like grown adults. Brosa, can you give any insight on the episode? Was it a children's week or something?

It appears to be a children's special.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2019, 07:42:39 PM »
I'm surprised how many countries that play One Away say that 0 is higher than 9.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2019, 07:43:33 PM »
I'm surprised how many countries that play One Away say that 0 is higher than 9.

Has there ever been a setup in the U.S. version that involved 9 as a wrong number?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2019, 09:54:06 PM »
Has there ever been a setup in the U.S. version that involved 9 as a wrong number?

At least one of 0 and 9 has been used in a wrong price, yes.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2019, 08:05:53 PM »
A couple of updates:

3 Strikes, from Mexico (1997) - thanks Steve:

Take Two, from India (2001):

Also, I wanted to share two gifs of the Spain (1988) version of One Away which I found particularly odd.  Firstly, the direction the numbers are changed (in this series, the contestant only has to guess the first three numbers in the price):

Secondly, the way the correct numbers are revealed: