Author Topic: Pricing Games Around The World  (Read 253186 times)

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
Re: Pricing Games Around The World
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2019, 04:43:59 AM »
     -Were there steps on the back of the Argentine prop?
Yes, steps behind the prop.  They actually do a bit of a drumroll buildup for the contestant climbing up and appearing at the top of the board.

-The 2001 France paint job makes the set look more like a pinball machine than anything else.
It's funny you mention that, given that the French 2009-2015 series literally introduced a pinball version of Plinko called Le Flipper:

-What were they trying to accomplish with the 2009 France design? At least straighten the set. Then maybe it won't look as bad.
It certainly had its problems:

Two bonus images of the board from the contestant's perspective, and the host literally climbing to the top to dislodge a chip that was stuck.

-Italy: It looks like the hostess is opening a door of some sort. Brosa, can you provide any insight on this?
In this version, the middle is a 0. However, if the contestant won at least 2 million lire and still had at least one chip remaining, the 0 space became an "AUTO" space to win a car.  To win the car, they'd have to give up any cash and hope the chip landed in the AUTO space, otherwise they'd lose everything.

Also, here is Italy's version from the early 90s which I missed:

-Apparently, Mexico also had a Plinko turntable prop, at least until 1997.
Nice pickup!

-The Romanian Plinko has some long pegs. Brosa, was this played with balls instead of chips?
I only found a couple promo shots of the Romanian series (Plinko is the only game I have of theirs), but given how similar it is to the French 09 series I'm guessing they used chips (balls would surely bounce off the curved part?)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2019, 08:43:56 AM »
First, I like the Italian Plinko since it appears that it is painted in a shiny silver color. Second, France really needs to take some advice from Mike Richards on how to run a show. "Yes ladies and gentlemen, why don't we watch our host climb to the top of this thing to retrieve a chip? That should waste enough airtime." Didn't they have a lucky Plinko stick as Bob did? And finally, while it's fresh in our minds, can you give us a rundown on how Le Flipper was played?
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2019, 07:56:00 AM »
And finally, while it's fresh in our minds, can you give us a rundown on how Le Flipper was played?

The French 09 series was the first of the new 'international' format of the show pushed by FremantleMedia, with the two-storey set, wild camera pans and looser format that allowed for more 'variety show' segments among the pricing gameplay to stretch the show out to an hour without having to add in extra pricing games (thus keeping the prize budget in check).   They had quite a few games with a basic fee game pricing portion to earn extra chances or time in some unique, non-pricing related parts.  I will post these some time in the future.

Le Flipper's pricing portion is the same as Plinko's, except that they earn extra pinballs to play with rather than chips.  The host controls the left flipper (the table is giant), the contestant controls the right flipper and plunger, and their aim is to get the ball to land in the "jackpot space" in the centre of the red circle above the flippers to win a big prize.   Otherwise, once the ball drops below the flippers (which happens fairly quickly as they are high up the table) they fall into cash amounts that the contestant wins, similar to Plinko.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 08:00:00 AM by brosa0 »

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2019, 04:49:41 PM »
Grocery Game
https://imgur.com/paZIg7W

Click for larger image

Check-Out
https://imgur.com/McvWe8x

Click for larger image

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »
I can just picture the producers of the Mexican version saying "oh, we'll make up for our lack of Grocery Game by making Check-Out's set look like a giant old-timey cash register."

And the producers of the Vietnamese versions saying "we'll make up for our tiny prize budget by making the register in Grocery Game HUGE."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2019, 11:01:34 PM »
Grocery Game: -The Australia 80s set blends into the turntable too much.
-France 92's makes me think of a wedding cake. It's amazing how totally different each of their four sets looks.
-Egypt's looks like our set but a bit smaller.
-The Thailand set is pretty sleek, I wouldn't mind it as an updated version of our set.

Check Out: -Australia's makes me think of Family Feud.
-What strange podiums in the France 01 set.
-I like the giant cash register motif in Mexico '10
-UK Bruce looks like a combination of It's in the Bag and Grocery Game
-The Netherlands set had its own giant calculator

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2019, 02:35:16 AM »
The 80s Australian version has some awful colour coordination all around with the games.   I really liked the 90s and 00s design, although it was difficult to see the items. 

We also see another example here of the Indonesia and Thailand series both copying the general look of the US Check-Out, but with slightly different variations.  The Indonesian one probably comes out on top here.

The muted colour scheme of the '87 Netherlands series is really apparent here when comparing their Check-Out to most of the others.

Steve has found an image of the German Check-Out:

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2019, 09:31:17 AM »
Grocery Game:
     -I wouldn't mind the 1980s Aussie set but not with that turntable color scheme. Australia made up for it with their general store-esque sets.
     -The 1994 Canada checkerboard scheme is a neat one. I like it.

Check-Out:
     -France 2001: Yeah...no. The individual podium thing is fine but straighten them out, at least!
     -1990 Spain has some large digital readouts, but they seem to overtake the set as a whole.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2019, 11:03:14 AM »
Since Check-Out's entire premise is pricing grocery items exactly right, it's fitting that the German version is literally "expert price".
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2019, 04:24:27 PM »
Grocery Game:
     -I wouldn't mind the 1980s Aussie set but not with that turntable color scheme. Australia made up for it with their general store-esque sets.

You know what the weirdest thing to me about the 80's Aussie show is? That for the entirety of its' run it was titled "The New Price is Right", seems really odd to call it that after say 4 years on air for example. Price here only did it the first year by comparison.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2019, 05:08:30 PM »
Switcheroo
https://imgur.com/8PBbXA1

Click for larger image:

Pathfinder
https://imgur.com/bNm04wW

Click for larger image:

Overhead view of the 2015 French Pathfinder:

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2019, 05:14:17 PM »
Interesting how many of those have the center square blank instead of the first number.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2019, 05:31:03 PM »
Well, remember, we used to do that with 4-digit cars, too.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2019, 05:34:05 PM »
Well, remember, we used to do that with 4-digit cars, too.

Except it was the Goodson-Todman asterisk instead of a blank spot.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2019, 05:41:21 PM »
Switcheroo: in the Belgian version, it looks like the blocks are to the far left of the set, meaning the contestant has to run back with the blocks to the main part of the prop. Not sure I'm a fan of that.

Pathfinder: In the Indonesia version, is the contestant really starting somewhere other than the center spot?? It feels weird in the Russian version to not have the contestant on a raised platform. And I do love the overhead view of the France '15 version.